Why become a member? ×

Syncing Korg Volcas with Moog Minitaur: Beatstep pro????

Tuco

Greetngs
Simple enough `problem` really (to someone who knows anyway!!) and first off, pardon my ignorance when it comes to this subject!
I want to be able to sync together a Korg Volca Beats, Korg Volca Sample and a Moog Minitaur without using a DAW or laptop etc..
Other hardware I use is a Moog MP201 (which actually DOES have midi in AND out but Im pretty sure this wont be the answer) an Alesis Q25 (which just has midi out) and a Behringer UMC404HD interface and monitors.
Syncing the two Volcas together obviously isnt an issue (for folks that dont know, said Volcas only have a standard midi IN but they have a sync `in & out` on 3.5mm jacks for connecting each other) but I need the Minitaur in the equation (that also only has standard midi IN (even though it does have a USB midi connection, but like I said I dont want to use a DAW))
Would the Arturia Beatstep pro be an answer to my issue? Or maybe even a standard beatstep?? Or even something cheaper maybe (he says in hope lol) like the Korg SQ1 maybe???
Would I need an extra midi interface/thru box or something?? (obviously budget IS an issue somewhat!!)
Any other suggestions???
Also, Im thinking i`ll need some sort of mixer to connect this `rig` into a bass stack for live use?? 
ANY thoughts or comments, MOST welcome!!!
Thanks in advance and again, pardon my ignorance!!!

What you need to do is to have one device as the master clock and the others sync'd off that.

Is there one device that will do master clock functions best?

Also you'll need to look at the MIDI implementation charts for each device to see what MIDI messages each will send and receive.

To get around the lack of MIDI thrus and outs on your devices you will need a MIDI thru box, but make sure that it is one that supports MIDI clock data on all of its outputs as many will filter out clock messages so they don't overload the MIDI dat stream.

Edited by BigRedX

On 21/05/2019 at 05:21, BigRedX said:

What you need to do is to have one device as the master clock and the others sync'd off that.

Is there one device that will do master clock functions best?

Also you'll need to look at the MIDI implementation charts for each device to see what MIDI messages each will send and receive.

To get around the lack of MIDI thrus and outs on your devices you will need a MIDI thru box, but make sure that it is one that supports MIDI clock data on all of its outputs as many will filter out clock messages so they don't overload the MIDI dat stream.

Something like this????

https://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/Kenton-THRU-5-1-In-To-5-Thru-Box/21ET?origin=product-ads&gclid=Cj0KCQjwla7nBRDxARIsADll0kACyurx9YWmzFSiOwHQs0bfBuRZ8g36fVyzwPJ49Yxgg3t2h-86jvkaAkS7EALw_wcB

Gonna get a BSP at the end of the month (soon come!!!)   

I`ll see how it works out for me and report back

Hanx

Daz