Why become a member? ×

Treasures of the future. ( basses of course)

KingPrawn

I think for a bass to be a "treasure of the future" it needs to meet certain criteria:

1. It needs to offer something obviously different to a Fender P or J.

2. There needs to be a significant amount of continuity between examples of the same model, so if you've tried one bass of a particular model from a particular luthier, the next one you try of the same model will be almost the same.

3. It need needs to have several high-profile users who have a unique style, and pretty much only play that particular bass.

4. There needs to be a finite or limited supply, because the luthier has retired or died, or because only a small number are produced each year, with a long waiting list.

• Like 1

On 19/05/2019 at 18:19, KingPrawn said:

not a mass produced brand name

OK.  This is a mass produced Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass in its original form.  It has however been breathed upon by our own @Andyjr1515 and is quite unique in appearance.  Some of you may recognise part of it from Andy's previous avatar.

Although stock in essence, it got a refinish, a modified scratch plate and a full set-up.  It's a great sounding bass anyway but now it looks fascinating too.

Whilst nowhere near as unique as his complete builds, it is with pride that we (Jack and I) can say that we've got something nice by that nice man at AJR Guitar Mods from the time before he got famous and started to live as a recluse in his own private lumber yard where he started rolling out wilder and weirder basses such as the Spruce Goose bass with its massive wing span.

AJRGMVMJaguarBass.thumb.png.636f78e8a0fee6cdaadf9c015f7b4a0a.png

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

21 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

OK.  This is a mass produced Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass in its original form.  It has however been breathed upon by our own @Andyjr1515 and is quite unique in appearance.  Some of you may recognise part of it from Andy's previous avatar.

Although stock in essence, it got a refinish, a modified scratch plate and a full set-up.  It's a great sounding bass anyway but now it looks fascinating too.

Whilst nowhere near as unique as his complete builds, it is with pride that we (Jack and I) can say that we've got something nice by that nice man at AJR Guitar Mods from the time before he got famous and started to live as a recluse in his own private lumber yard where he started rolling out wilder and weirder basses such as the Spruce Goose bass with its massive wing span.

AJRGMVMJaguarBass.thumb.png.636f78e8a0fee6cdaadf9c015f7b4a0a.png

What a beautiful bass. It's in! 

I suppose some of the mass-produced have their moments. I'm not against them at all. My JV Squire is among the future elite in my opinion.

Edited by KingPrawn
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LukeFRC said:

It’s odd how so many of the “treasures of the future” are essentially either from the 80s, designed in the 80s or builders who started in the 80s

That's when 'new' designs started to come through, before then you had the choice of dated 'violin' style basses, SG type ones or Fenders. Suddenly you had a how load of more adventurous designs and features.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

That's when 'new' designs started to come through, before then you had the choice of dated 'violin' style basses, SG type ones or Fenders. Suddenly you had a how load of more adventurous designs and features.

yeah but the 80's way almost three decades ago now. 

On 21/05/2019 at 12:02, BigRedX said:

I think for a bass to be a "treasure of the future" it needs to meet certain criteria:

1. It needs to offer something obviously different to a Fender P or J.

2. There needs to be a significant amount of continuity between examples of the same model, so if you've tried one bass of a particular model from a particular luthier, the next one you try of the same model will be almost the same.

3. It need needs to have several high-profile users who have a unique style, and pretty much only play that particular bass.

4. There needs to be a finite or limited supply, because the luthier has retired or died, or because only a small number are produced each year, with a long waiting list.

I'd add 5 - needs to have exceptional sound and build quality. 

GMR meets 1 2 4 and 5, but not 3. My three (all 2nd hand, 2 from BC Marketplace) all cost about 1/3 of anything comparable from a better known name, and that's all I could sell them for (which is one of the reasons why I'd never sell them). 

Treasures of my future (if all goes well) but musically, not financially. 

And if a 5-string fretless ever walks past me it's stopping here 🙂 

Just now, Stub Mandrel said:

You bloody millennials! 🤣

I'm 5 years older than my wife. When we first started going out I she went to live in Berlin for a year (not because she had just met me) - I started telling her excitedly about one of my first memories ever of watching the Berlin Wall come down on Newsround on the TV and how exciting I found it even though I had no idea what was going on.... "can you remember?" "do you remember?" I asked.... 
... "er I wasn't born then" was the reply

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

I'm 5 years older than my wife. When we first started going out I she went to live in Berlin for a year (not because she had just met me) - I started telling her excitedly about one of my first memories ever of watching the Berlin Wall come down on Newsround on the TV and how exciting I found it even though I had no idea what was going on.... "can you remember?" "do you remember?" I asked.... 
... "er I wasn't born then" was the reply

I remember the three-day week... and I'm not even old!

13 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I'd disagree.   Once Leo had established the basic template in the early '50's, the next main innovation was in the mid '50's with neck-though construction (Ric, and later Gibson) and then the humbucking pickup (Gibson).

Then IMHO all the major innovation was during the 1970's: muti-laminate body / neck construction and onboard low Z active EQ / IC circuitry (Alembic), use of other materials than wood for construction (graphite in necks - Ovation and Alembic, aluminium necks -Travis Bean, and later with synthetic fingerboards on Kramers), onboard modular effects (Electra), not to mention a range of radical body / neck designs.

'80's was more a period of refinement and mainstreaming of these 

Edit - actually my last sentence was wrong: the Steinberger headless bass was a genuinely fresh and original concept - not much else really new in the '80's for  basses though (plenty for amps....)

Edited by Shaggy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Shaggy said:

I'd disagree.   Once Leo had established the basic template in the early '50's, the next main innovation was in the mid '50's with neck-though construction (Ric, and later Gibson) and then the humbucking pickup (Gibson).

Then IMHO all the major innovation was during the 1970's: muti-laminate body / neck construction and onboard low Z active EQ / IC circuitry (Alembic), use of other materials than wood for construction (graphite in necks - Ovation and Alembic, aluminium necks -Travis Bean, and later with synthetic fingerboards on Kramers), onboard modular effects (Electra), not to mention a range of radical body / neck designs.

'80's was more a period of refinement and mainstreaming of these 

Edit - actually my last sentence was wrong: the Steinberger headless bass was a genuinely fresh and original concept - not much else really new in the '80's for  basses though (plenty for amps....)

Fair enough, but maybe the 80s was when that innovation and diversity spread beyond a small core of big makers at both ends of the market.

20 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I remember the three-day week... and I'm not even old!

I remember when there were no Standby switches, only Off switches.  Ah... happy days.  That's one thing that may well be regarded as a valuable antique one day.

image.png.a2993898d4fb36ce1dd54144dd805c7b.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/05/2019 at 21:16, TheGreek said:

I'd like to think that ACGs will become collectable in the future - mainly because bassists will recognise what versatile and beautifully made instruments they are.

It will probably mean Alan having to die (the supply & demand factor) and though I'm not advocating bumping him off, I think the sooner we recognise his brilliance the better.

Here's mine:

cba8efa5-9a20-4500-a907-a403bc0d4719_zpspoq5zkws.jpg

IMG_5025_zpscc826f81.jpg

I have met Alan a number of times over the years and he is a really good bloke. I wanted to get a bass made by him the first time i met him at a Bass Day in Manchester UK and tried his basses. I loved the sound of his basses and the workmanship is top notch but i wasn't keen on the body styles. I ended up buying some of his filter based tone controls. 

29 minutes ago, jazzyvee said:

I loved the sound of his basses and the workmanship is top notch but i wasn't keen on the body styles.

Strangely the originality of his body designs is why I bought one - well that and the knowledge that his basses are top notch build quality. I met him at a couple of LBGS shows - you're right , he is a really nice bloke.

I'm not sure I entirely agree with the "when the original maker dies/retires" - hasn't dented the desirability or price of Wals

Just being old seems to be the main reason that an instrument is worth money - I've seen some terrible '70s Fender guitars that are almost unplayable going for huge amounts of money, just because they are old

• Like 1