Why become a member? ×

Finished Pics! Psilos Phoenix Dreadnought Acoustic

Andyjr1515

The body varnishing passed the three day rule: after three days the varnish will have dried sufficiently to reveal if there are any nasties that would mean a sand down and a few more coats ;)

So we are now definitely on the home run.

Today was completing the sanding and shaping of the neck and starting to apply the finish:

N2Zvl91h.jpg

The extension blocks on the heel are the same walnut as on the rosette, headstock plate and tailstock and so should provide some visual links.

The heel and back/top of the headstock will be gloss, with the playing area of the neck slurried-to-satin with Danish Oil.

Bone saddle is on order, tomorrow I will make a truss-rod cover and then, once the finish on the neck is complete, if will be ready to assemble and string up. :)

• Like 5

It's in the nature of acoustics that, even when they LOOK close to being finished, they often AREN'T all that close to being finished. 9_9

The thing that makes it look pretty close is that the strings are on:

7vionRnh.jpg

cEsdl0kh.jpg

and the neck looks OK:

wlBs5eHh.jpg

But, in spite of me having had 3 or 4 goes at the neck angle - which is a right old b***ache because every time you have to get the neck off (not easy fiddling about with allen keys through the soundhole) and then chisel evenly and at the right angle the shockingly hard rock maple and ebony - nevertheless, it STILL isn't right. 

It isn't far out - probably a couple of degrees - but the action is far too high with a test saddle sitting at the lowest practical level, and thus the intonation and playability is pretty shocking.   A couple of degrees, including the flush fit challenge and the multiple re-assembly to see how close it is (this is essential because overdo it and you have a REAL problem.  Getting that right can change the scale length!!!) will take a disproportionate number of hours.  I'm tempted to make up a custom sanding block so I can sand both sides and the bottom of the tenon at the same time.

However, there is very little left to do beyond that - truss rod cover, tweak of the nut, final polishing up, heel strap lock - and, I have to say, the tone sounds promising :) 

So ETA for finish remains end of next week, albeit with allen-key and set-screw shredded fingers.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

I have every confidence in you for the final leg Andy.  Would a ratcheting Allen driver help?  I can probably sort out something from my toolkit for you if it helps with the repetitive assembly/disassembly.

PM me with the size if you like and I'll see what I've got.

Hi John.

Very kind of you but an allen key is actually the easiest way.  There's so little room, the bulk of even the mini ratchets don't really help.

I had another bash today having found an allen key with a longer long side and a shorter short side.  I now have the basic neck angle where I need it - I now just need to go through (hopefully) one more time to get a gap free joint.

The really encouraging thing is that - now I've got the strings at a playable action height - it sounds as good as I'd hoped :)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Maude said:

Just a thought, would a quarter drive allen socket with a long extention bar so that the ratchet is in line with the soundhole help at all, rather than reaching inside with a standard allen key? 

Perhaps - and that's actually what the longer allen key is effectively doing.  The only way though, in either case, is to get your hand fully into the chamber with the soundhole around your wrist.  It's a bit like squeezing your hand into a ladies bangle (so I'm told) :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Perhaps - and that's actually what the longer allen key is effectively doing.  The only way though, in either case, is to get your hand fully into the chamber with the soundhole around your wrist.  It's a bit like squeezing your hand into a ladies bangle (so I'm told) :)

That’s the most inadvertent middle-aged euphemism i’ve ever heard! Go wash your flanges clean with soap!!

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Matt will be pleased....

I think he will :)

Having pretty much finished the setup, I put the 'proper' strings on today - and I reckon this sounds every bit as good as my own.  So that means I get mine back too!  Result :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

As usual Andy, a work of beauty.

To my eyes the back of the guitar is more attractive than the front. If the owner feels the same way, and wants to show it off, there may have to be a dynamic variation of the ZZ Top 'flip your guitar' routine. 😳😀

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Len_derby said:

As usual Andy, a work of beauty.

To my eyes the back of the guitar is more attractive than the front. If the owner feels the same way, and wants to show it off, there may have to be a dynamic variation of the ZZ Top 'flip your guitar' routine. 😳😀

I'll suggest it to Matt xD