Why become a member? ×

Only four hours to go...

Stub Mandrel

... and it's my first gig since 1995!

If anyone is in Nottingham and looking for something to to do, we will be on around 4:30; First band likely to be nearer to 3:30 than 2:30!

GrizzlyBeers..jpg.8a0eaa37d21d7d6a8f0eb6cbe4e92ebf.jpg

After the great success of last years Abbey Road Army gig we are dropping you a reminder that ARA Take 2 is happening this month!

Gig is on Sunday 19th May. at the Boat Club.

·         First act will go on around 2.30 pm.

·         Yes the 'bar' will be open!

·         Social Media - Tell Everybody!

·         Under 10’s go in free.

Other than that the entry is £5 per person on the door where a large gentlemen will take the money and hand stamps will be in place. Please bring cash as we don't have a card machine!

• Like 2

That's not a bad venue for a return to gigging. A lovely afternoon by the Trent, have a good one 👍

Played there years ago and if I recall there's a board at the side of the stage listing some of the bands that have trodden those very boards. Our guitarist went derrière over tit with his amp down those steps actually. 😂

EDIT - Or am I thinking of the Union Boat Club next door. Hmmm.

Edited by Deedee
  • Like 1

I think you mean the Union, with the list of bands.

i used to row for the Boat club in the 60s, and as a full member, the three clubs (before the Boat and the Brit merged) allowed each others' full members free entry to their events.  One evening I saw Cliff Bennett and the RRs, Ainsley Dunbar Retaliation, and another band whose name I forget at the 3 clubs.

The bands were booked up to a year in advance, so the Union had Quo, when Pictures of Matchstick Men was in the charts, and Honeybus, when they were on their way to No1with Can’t let Maggie Go.  We had The Impressions at the Boat, and local band Ten Years After made the occasional appearance.

great times, and hope the OP's set went well.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Baxlin said:

I think you mean the Union, with the list of bands.

Thanks for clarifying. In mitigation it was a good while ago back in the day when we used to drink on gig nights, hence the guitarist taking the tumble down the fire escape. :drinks:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deedee said:

Thanks for clarifying. In mitigation it was a good while ago back in the day when we used to drink on gig nights, hence the guitarist taking the tumble down the fire escape. :drinks:

The info about the list didn’t come from my memory, my brother in law still rows for the Union (he’s now Veteran, and old enough to know better!), and he told me about it fairly recently.

Malcolm

• Like 2

it's a great feeling to gig again isn't it?

I too retired in 1995, had my first gigs end of 2017.

I'm enjoying gigging immensely this time around, and am playing for the pure love of it, originals with my bandmate throughout my career beside me again., and the kid brother of our other bandmate who is no longer with us, feels right :)

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, bazzbass said:

it's a great feeling to gig again isn't it?

During the gig it went back and forth between elation and terror!

The high point for me was everyone clapping along to Crazy Little Thing Called Love .. it was when I realised people were actually enjoying the music rather than just enjoying the event.

• Like 1

On 19/05/2019 at 20:59, Stub Mandrel said:

It's definitely the one with the steep steel steps and the list of bands!

IMG_20190519_190147050.thumb.jpg.e3634ba83818e6d4b9ab0e85469179d0.jpg

Interesting list, although it's missing some important names such as U2 and Siouxsie and the Banshees from 1980 and the Orange Juice gig was 1981. 

• Like 1