Why become a member? ×

Eurovision 2019

6 minutes ago, bazzbass said:

years ago Australia had to play Israel in the Oceania FIFA world cup playoffs.....coz no one else wanted to play against them

If you disagree with any of their attrocities against the Palestinians they accuse you of being anti-semite when all you are is anti-Israeli. There is a huge difference. One is racially based the other is based on Israel's actions 

Now now. Let's not get the thread locked...! ;)

7 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

Israel is there to normalise your perception of it and advertise it as a tourist destination - there’s more to it than just ethnic cleansing, you know.

See also pretty much everything 'sportsy' being called 'the Emirates' something something... People keep telling me 'ooh, go on hols to Dubai! You'd love it!' Um, if they let me in at all i'd be arrested at the airport for just existing!

Ironically i have enough jewish ancestry that i'm allowed to go live in Israel if i wanted to...!

• Like 2

Aside from hearing how off pitch Madonna was in some news reports, I have avoided watching Eurovision since the late Terry Wogan stopped doing the commentary. 

For me it was only Mr Wogan's observations that made it entertaining enough to make up for the political nature of some of the votes - and I gather that aspect is even worse these days.

• Like 3

The name "Eurovision" was originally coined by British journalist George Campey when writing for the Evening Standard, and was adopted by the EBU for its network.[2]

Eurovision is managed by the European Broadcasting Union’s Eurovision Operations Department and offers permanent coverage of Europe, the Americas, the Middle East, North Africa and the Asia-Pacific region, as well as ad-hoc coverage of the African continent and the Pacific Rim.

Not confined only to Europe, Eurovision currently encompasses 75 television broadcasting organizations located in 56 countries of Europe, North Africa, and the Middle East. Furthermore, there are 61 associated broadcasting organizations in Europe, Africa, America, Asia, and Oceania.

This is why countries outside of Europe can enter the contest e.g. Australia and Israel.  It is easy to think that Eurovision is purely for Europe, or even the EU, but it is actually a broadcasting network that involves many far flung countries.

• Like 1

On ‎22‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 06:32, ped said:

Hi just a note to say please avoid comments about the Arab Israeli conflict please, cheersbye

apologies Ped, I have edited my post

years ago Australia had to play Israel in the Oceania FIFA world cup playoffs.....coz no one else wanted to play against them

EDITED

Edited just now by bazzbass