Why become a member? ×

Alan Entwistle pickup

T-Bay

I picked up an Alan Entwistle pickup from a fellow basschatter to replace the dodgy bridge pickup on my bitsa Jazz. It has a Seymour Duncan in the neck slot. First impressions were that it seems to be of a decent quality for the money (not expensive new) and is supplied with a sensible length of wire with soldered ends. All good so far. It’s deeper than a standard Jazz pickup but most after market ones are. When I came to fit it I found that the plastic cover will not fit in a standard Jazz slot - the corners are a bit too square to fit it. It’s not far off but enough that you would need to open the slots up which I wasn’t prepared to do. The pickup NEARLY fits in the standard Jazz cover but the wire outlet fouls it. Five minutes with a Dremel and it was good to go.

Once fitted I had a play. As you would expect it’s a much lighter sound than the Duncan bridge pickup but pleasant all the same with a bright top end. Adding it mid dial against a full dial (hope that makes sense] bridge adds a nice mid range punch that wasn’t there before. As the original wasn’t working I can’t compare it to that sadly but for a budget pickup I am impressed with the quality and sound. I don’t know if the figment issue would be different on other Jazzes but that was the only issue encountered. Verdict - 8/10

• Like 1

I've installed quite a few different Entwistle pick ups in customer's guitars and basses and have been impressed with all of them. The Neo Jazz bass ones being a particular favourite. 

Their Smooth track pots are also a great upgrade.

• Like 2

I've fitted a couple of the JBXN and PBXN pickups, plus a PBX. All were great quality pickups, the JBXN and PBXN's had huge output.
Although the PBX was a decent pickup too - just not as loud as the XN version.

Last one I fitted - I discovered that the old pickup covers just fitted straight onto the pickup, with no modifications. So I didn't need to enlarge the scratchplate slot.
So if you're fitting Entwistle pickups - might be worth trying this, to avoid having to dremmel out the pickup slots in your guard :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marc S said:

I've fitted a couple of the JBXN and PBXN pickups, plus a PBX. All were great quality pickups, the JBXN and PBXN's had huge output.
Although the PBX was a decent pickup too - just not as loud as the XN version.

Last one I fitted - I discovered that the old pickup covers just fitted straight onto the pickup, with no modifications. So I didn't need to enlarge the scratchplate slot.
So if you're fitting Entwistle pickups - might be worth trying this, to avoid having to dremmel out the pickup slots in your guard :)

As mine was the bridge pick up I just dremelled the old cover, easier than cutting the body!

15 hours ago, T-Bay said:

As mine was the bridge pick up I just dremelled the old cover, easier than cutting the body!

I didn't cut the body, or the scratchplate either T-Bay. The Entwistle pickup simply slotted into the existing pickup cover - so no modification or dremelling needed at all :)
Fitted like a glove

Edited by Marc S