Why become a member? ×

Zoom B3n overly picky

Guest MoJo

Guest MoJo

I know that folks reading this thread will think I’m some kind of mental case and I realise that I am overly picky. This kind of thing really bugs me, strings not lining with pole pieces

3C174A59-ABE5-4316-8044-BA91B51D7A90.jpeg.a99a317f5c40d6ac79b3d227cea14990.jpeg

It can bug me so much that I end up selling an otherwise perfect instrument. Whilst trying to get to grips with my newly acquired Zoom B3n, I noticed this

0C24C101-416A-40BE-BB38-F608BEF5CBE5.thumb.jpeg.cafee9d7ecc96de7af2ab05892840aba.jpeg

The LCD displays are different colours despite the contrast settings being the same. The right hand one in particular is more of a yellow green compared to the one on the left and the one in the centre which appear bluer in reality. My eyes are repeatedly drawn to it and I’ve even contemplated sending it back and ordering another one. I’d appreciate it if other B3n owners would see if theirs are the same, in which case returning it would be pointless. I know, I’m not right in the head but please humour me

Edited by MoJo

In that picture it looks like the pickups have been replaced. Anways, there’s no need for them to line up, and unless the pickup is constructed with differently spaced pole pieces they won’t in any case. It’s a solution looking for a problem.

The screen thing would annoy me but not enough to get upset about. If it sounds good, it is good.

As long as the info on the screens is easy to read, and its all there then its not a problem. As for the pole pieces, mine are the same. I micro adjusted the pickups and string spacing and it made............not a blind bit of difference to the sound. Get over it, life is too short.

14 hours ago, MoJo said:

I know that folks reading this thread will think I’m some kind of mental case

Mojo, the fact you are aware that your 'frustrations' with these things are not 'normal' shows you really understand your OCD nature absolutely.

I know all about OCD, my wife has the same tendencies.

People with OCD usually have their brains wired slightly differently, and what to anyone else is a 'meh, whatever' is an absolute deal breaker for them.

Regarding your 'LCD's'  (LED's ?), some people are especially sensitive to variations in the red/yellow spectrum and perceive huge colour differences between what to many people would look just about the same.

So, don't panic, you're just a bit more sensitive to these things, and the fact you already accept this means you're really doing just fine  9_9

Guest MoJo
31 minutes ago, songofthewind said:

Sometimes the LCD's on my G3 varied in colour, but it seemed to be related to temperature. Do you by any chance store it in the fridge?

Ha ha, no. It does seem to vary and also depends on which angle one is looking at the unit from. I've come to accept it now and will try not to let it bother me. The unit works fine, so all is good. Thank you everyone for your replies

49 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

The B3n doesn't have that problem either, at least not unless its faulty. Mine is perfect.

Well if it's faulty the OP would certainly be within his rights to get a replacement or his cash back and / or get a B1X-4 instead (which mentioned elsewhere he was tempted by).

I've reflected further on the advice by one of the esteemed mods to burn it and try as I might, I still consider that to be sub-optimal.

• Haha 2