Why become a member? ×

Tc electronic BQ v.s BH

Bottesini

Hello!

I recently bought a Tc electronic BQ500 which I run through a Markbass 210  cab and I have a BG250 115 kombo.

I like them both but I think that the BQ sounds a bit moore rough/raw compared the BG.

Now to my question.

If i run a BQ head and BH head through the same cab (Markbass 210) would they produce the same sound or is it a difference in how they sound?

/Bottesini

Welcome to BassChat

It is hard to say with real authority as the two amplifiers have completely different tone shaping controls. Without knowing the amps better and knowing how exactly you are setting them up I don't think anyone can answer your question directly. For example the Combo has toneprint which is designed to give you a variety of sounds. Most amps however have a setting which will give you a relatively flat frequency response. Speakers are a different matter. All speakers add a little colour to the sound and most instrument speakers add a lot of colouration. I think it is extremely unlikely that you would get the same sound out of both speakers using the same amp. The few MB cabs I've had the chance to play with have tended to have an exaggerated upper bass and a bit of upper mid zing and that may well be what you are hearing from the MB 210.

Hi!

Thank you and thank you for your answer.

In my mind  the booth heads are set flat and they run through the same cab.

I’m just curious if  someone has compared them because I’m thinking about maybe buying a BH  head.

/Bottesini

I brought a BQ500 and didn't like it much. Although i never ran it at gig or rehearsal volumes i felt to sounded a bit flat and lifeless when played at home through a TCE RH212 cab. When i had it i also had (still have) a Spectradrive, which is the front end of the BH amp, and using the hedphone out i could hear quite a difference, even with everything flat. i sent it back as it had issues other than me not liking it, and got a BH800. Couldnt be happier. The Eq is very different, and makes a huge difference if you do need to use it.