Why become a member? ×

Time Wasters.

bubinga5

2 hours ago, NikNik said:

That wouldn't be on Gumtree by any chance? That exact phrase is almost unique to Gumtree responses I get. When I respond 'Yes, still here!' I hear nothing back say 70% of the time. I often wonder if it's a bot response to keep your ad active. 

Wonder when Gumtree will start charging on sales....

I've had this a few times - maybe someone with a similar item they're thinking of flogging checking out how your sale has done? Also why do a lot of people advertising on Gumtree never delete their ads once the item has been sold?

1 hour ago, steve-bbb said:

works the other way too - i recently contacted somebody selling a rather nice bass and was practically trying to throw my money at him but he couldnt even be arsed to answer messages

I've had this too - now beginning to think there's more to it - possible scammer / dodgy bug*er etc.

Selling a cycling jersey on Facebook. Ad title is pretty much 'Cycling Jersey - size large'. Description repeats this and gives example of how it fits as this brand runs smaller than most.

Enquiry 1

'Do you have this in extra small?'

Enquiry 2

Them: Is this available?

Me 5 mins later: Yes

48 hours pass

Them: Good, will you post it for asking price minus £x?

Me 5 mins later: No, but I will for asking price minus £y

36 hours pass

Them: OK, what's your PayPal?

Me 5 mins later: It's xxxxxxxx

72 hours pass

Me: Hello?

24 hours pass

Them: I've bought a new one instead.

• Like 1

Not only are the users often time-wasters, but so are Ebay themselves. After spending 20 minutes preparing a listing, they refuse to list it as I won't accept Paypal for something that really needs to be cash on collection.

Screenshot 2019-06-02 at 18.20.27.png

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, knirirr said:

Not only are the users often time-wasters, but so are Ebay themselves

It's just one big money grab, and I'm surprised there aren't more complaints about eBay these days. A recent change seems to be auction + 'make an offer' which is confusing. Seems to be more full of dealers and new stuff and fewer straight auctions from private sellers. 
I imagine FB, Gumtree, even Preloved are eating away at eBay's dominance. I like the dialogue you can have through any of those and of course no fees. EBay block phone numbers (for example) in messages. There's a get-round - just spell a few of the numbers, works a treat.

22 hours ago, knirirr said:

Not only are the users often time-wasters, but so are Ebay themselves. After spending 20 minutes preparing a listing, they refuse to list it as I won't accept Paypal for something that really needs to be cash on collection.

Just signify acceptance of PayPal but make it clear in the listing that it's cash on collection only. If someone sends a PP payment, refund it and tell them to come with the readies..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan Dare said:

Just signify acceptance of PayPal but make it clear in the listing that it's cash on collection only. If someone sends a PP payment, refund it and tell them to come with the readies..

Wouldn't that cause a right brou-ha-ha? The buyer would be right on to ebay.

1 hour ago, NikNik said:

Probably, but it is an amusing thought.

Their support people did get back to me to claim that there's a "classified ad" option that allows cash on collection, but I'm damned if I can find where they've hidden it.

43 minutes ago, knirirr said:

Probably, but it is an amusing thought.

Their support people did get back to me to claim that there's a "classified ad" option that allows cash on collection, but I'm damned if I can find where they've hidden it.

Google is your friend:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/selling/listings/listing-tips/selling-classified-ads?id=4167

17 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

DuckDuckGo is a pretty good replacement these days; I rarely need to try a Google search. 

Anyway,  step 3 of that particular guide can't be completed as the only formats on offer from the advanced tool are "auction" and "fixed price".

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, knirirr said:

DuckDuckGo is a pretty good replacement these days; I rarely need to try a Google search. 

Anyway,  step 3 of that particular guide can't be completed as the only formats on offer from the advanced tool are "auction" and "fixed price".

It depends on whether the category is eligible.

6 hours ago, NikNik said:

No. Legally, it's your property and you have the right to specify how you wish to be paid for it. If you want payment in cows or chickens, you are entitled to insist on that should you wish.

8 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

No. Legally, it's your property and you have the right to specify how you wish to be paid for it. If you want payment in cows or chickens, you are entitled to insist on that should you wish.

But eBay's term and conditions do require that in exchange for using their platform, you agree to accept certain types of payment.

They know full well that some sellers use a variety of tricks to sell for cash off ebay, then claim the sale never went through in order to avoid paying ebay fees.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

But eBay's term and conditions do require that in exchange for using their platform, you agree to accept certain types of payment.

They know full well that some sellers use a variety of tricks to sell for cash off ebay, then claim the sale never went through in order to avoid paying ebay fees.

I have sold many things via eBay and have insisted on cash on collection for some (usually musical items which are too large/fragile to post). Musical items also seem to attract scammers and chancers more than other things I sell (fishing tackle, for example), so cash is the safest bet. I have never had a problem. eBay can point to "terms and conditions" all it likes, but they don't trump the law of the land (which allows you to specify payment in the form of your choosing for anything you sell). Of course, I don't try to dodge paying sellers' fees when I sell for cash. I've no doubt eBay would be after me if I did (and quite rightly). When you sell for CoC, make sure you get the buyer to sign a receipt, so they cannot claim they never received the item.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Thats different from a cash sale though. Even for cash I am still paying the same fees (especially as ebay don't own paypal any more).

I have always insisted on paypal for postage (or other methods) but cash only for collection, and I remember last time I looked the only time you were allowed to mention cash payments was for collection.

There is obviously nothing to stop you charging a huge amount for shipping and paypal, and free for cash for collection.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Thats different from a cash sale though. Even for cash I am still paying the same fees (especially as ebay don't own paypal any more).

I have always insisted on paypal for postage (or other methods) but cash only for collection, and I remember last time I looked the only time you were allowed to mention cash payments was for collection.

There is obviously nothing to stop you charging a huge amount for shipping and paypal, and free for cash for collection.

yes - you can insist on cash only for collection, and also state that it's collection only

Had a buyer once suggest that he tell eBay that he had pulled out of the sale so that they didn't charge me fees and we could split the saving.  Told him I wasn't interested...don't object to paying eBay's fees, don;t need to save a fiver that much, and basically, I'm not dishonest

• Like 1

I'm not suggesting folks here are trying to rip eBay off, but there are people who do (I've been contacted by tehm too) so they try and make life difficult for them which has a knock on for honest sellers who want cash on collection.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Monkey Steve said:

Had a buyer once suggest that he tell eBay that he had pulled out of the sale so that they didn't charge me fees and we could split the saving.

I have had that many times - although split the saving? Its not him doing anything wrong, why does he need a cut!

But I think its wrong, you are using their service for something you would only get by being there, and also you could be kicked out of your account. Its people doing that that makes eBay so tricky to use, with all the restrictions.

• Like 2

I've not evaded the Ebay fee and can't see the point when an item is no more than £300 or so. But when an item is £2400 and the fee is 10% it does seem excessive for the "work" they have actually done.  (Fees are capped at £250 per item)

It would be better if their fees were reduced progressively as the item goes up in value.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Grangur said:

I've not evaded the Ebay fee and can't see the point when an item is no more than £300 or so. But when an item is £2400 and the fee is 10% it does seem excessive for the "work" they have actually done.  (Fees are capped at £250 per item)

That depends - if you get £2400 for it when you sell it, is that better than if you could only sell it for £2000 somewhere else?

• Like 1