Why become a member? ×

Time Wasters.

bubinga5

16 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

That little delight has recently become more complicated. If you list something this weekend (during the max £1 final value fee offer) and it doesn’t sell within 30 days, you automatically tie yourself into an auto relist (which they have named ‘Good TIl Cancelled) and if your item sells within that re-listing period you get hit for the full final value fee instead of the £1. As far as I can see, there is no way of avoiding it other than waiting 30 days and then manually cancelling all your listings and waiting for the next £1 offer day to roll around and repeat. I’m happy to be proven wrong by someone. Please.

I had a similar thing, listed an item while the sell for £1 was on, sold it, the buyer didn't pay, raised a dispute, and closed it when the time ran out, got my selling fee back, was asked if I wanted to relist it which I did, sold it again and got charged the full selling fee, it was only a couple of quid so I didn't bother arguing but it did annoy me

Edited by PaulWarning
  • Like 1

Yup, its all part of the merry dance. Kinda have to take a deep breath when you put something up of any worth and get ready for whatever may come...

I had a MM Bongo up for sale a few years ago, had a young guy who was super keen but was obviously struggling to get the money together. Had many back and forth emails where he was pleading for me to hold it for him while he sorted his stuff out. I probably could have sold it a couple of times over to other buyers but was cool with it as it was by all accounts his 'dream bass'. Anyways after he finally got his affairs in order, on the evening we were going to do the sale he pulled out at the last minute with no explanation. Did me a favour as I ended up pulling the ad and five years later I'm glad I hung on to it. I wasn't too bothered tbh as I know what a big purchase that was to someone starting out and how much I used to agonise over every detail back when I was a callow youth.

What really gets my goat, however, are the professional moaners on ebay. The one's who play the system knowing that if they play their cards right, they can potentially get to keep the item and get a full refund from ebay. I shipped a Genz cab to the US and one of the plastic corners took a bash in transit. I was happy to offer £30-40 off (you can buy a plastic moulding for £3), but the buyer wasn't happy with that. This was one of the bottom rear corners so you'd never see it. Anyways, he ended up getting a full refund off ebay global shipping and keeping the item. While I was quids in as a result, it just seemed totally bonkers and is only going to encourage ppl who are angling for that kind of result. 

The site I’m using in Ireland adverts.ie is similar to gumtree and people in it are infuriating! It’s like they just want you to give them your valuable item for unwanted junk they have lying around. Very few seem to understand the concept ‘no trades’ , ‘pick up only’ .

Edited by Quilly
  • Like 1

There's also the "you don't live near me and that is your problem, therefore I a) expect you to deliver it to me for free, or b) will offer you substantially less because meeting you would mean I would have to leave my house briefly and the inconvenience could upset my hairstyle" gang on Adverts. I was made an offer on a pedal I was selling with an asking price of €40, they would only buy it if I delivered it to them in Dublin. It would have cost me around €40 in petrol and four hours of my life to do that. Other than that, I was crazy to decline their generous offer, I suppose.

There are some great people on that site but the bad ones really take it to the limit.

On ‎26‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 23:01, Bassislife16 said:

I will, I’m currently selling brand new condition RRP £850 PJB Suitcase Compact for a ridiculous £550. But as with the market these days I know if you want something sold, YOU HAVE TO COMPROMISE. Otherwise it just point blank doesn’t sell.

I suppose some people enjoy the negotiation / badinage - I had a PJB combo on sale here, I wanted it gone so had it priced accordingly - One guy repeatedly asked 'So what is the minimum that you'd take for it?' to the point that I thought he was taking the p--s - I just find it tedious.

Pre my time on Bass chat I was selling some Markbass gear on eBay and was contacted by someone claiming to be a teenager, asking whether I knock the price down to bring it into his price range - I was ok with this, but it turned out that the buyer was in his mid-fifties and the same gear was on sale in the Basschat classifieds while still in transit, with one of those Photos to follow posts 

This guy's only contributions on Basschat seem to be selling - I often wonder where he gets the stuff.

Edited by No lust in Jazz
Spelling - yeah I know...tsk
  • Sad 1

When I advertise (which isn't often) I make sure a full description and all info is included, I have researched the price and clearly stated all red lines, ie no pay pal etc.

Then you just have to sit back, deflect the jokers and wait for a real customer to come along. There have always been dickheads, which is why many ad's from the 60's on were inclined to state, "No time wasters".

I'm sure it's worse these days with the internet, but you have to have patience, stamina and not need the money in a hurry, take your time.

• Like 1

A rule of thumb that applies across most 'durable' goods is that once they show any signs of use the value drops to about 60% of new. You might get more for immaculate with-box items, most most buyers willing to pay, say, 80% of new value for a perfect example will usually consider going tehe xtra mile and buying new to get a warranty etc.

It's very easy to assume that because I paid X for this and it's 'still as good as when I got it' that it should retain most of its original value.

Obviously these rules don't apply where scarcity/collectability is a genuine factor.

Also worth bearing in mind that (a) 'there's one born every minute' applies to buyers and sellers and (b) the secret to selling for a good price or buying a bargain is patience and willpower (plus a little luck).

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, No lust in Jazz said:

I suppose some people enjoy the negotiation / badinage - I had a PJB combo on sale here, I wanted it gone so had it priced accordingly - One guy repeatedly asked 'So what is the minimum that you'd take for it?'

To which the most obvious answer is 'what is the maximum that you'd give for it?'

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

A rule of thumb that applies across most 'durable' goods is that once they show any signs of use the value drops to about 60% of new. You might get more for immaculate with-box items, most most buyers willing to pay, say, 80% of new value for a perfect example will usually consider going tehe xtra mile and buying new to get a warranty etc.

It's very easy to assume that because I paid X for this and it's 'still as good as when I got it' that it should retain most of its original value.

Indeed - so when selling the first thing to look for is what they are going for now. Doesn't matter if you bought it at £800, if they are now £600 new you are not getting 700.

People also often don't consider the value of the ability to take it back to the shop or claim on the warantee. Unless something is very rare and very expensive I wouldn't pay above 75% for a second hand one in very good condition - hurts when you are selling but that is the way.

I just bought a s/h Yamaha Reface, they are £242 at PMT (where I would have bought one if they had price on them, but that is another thread!), most second hand ones on ebay are £210 + 10 shipping  - £24 difference for a warantee and take back if you don't like it service? Seems good value to me!

• Like 1

I'd expect nut width and weight to be in the sales description in the first place.

Especially if the nut width is only 36mm for a jazz - that is an unusual feature.

By not including those details the OP has wasted the time of the potential buyers, and has actually wasted his own time in not providing the information just once in the advert.

Did the OP update the advert with the answers to the questions when they came in? That would be a time saver too.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Doctor J said:

There's also the "you don't live near me and that is your problem, therefore I a) expect you to deliver it to me for free, or b) will offer you substantially less because meeting you would mean I would have to leave my house briefly and the inconvenience could upset my hairstyle" gang on Adverts. I was made an offer on a pedal I was selling with an asking price of €40, they would only buy it if I delivered it to them in Dublin. It would have cost me around €40 in petrol and four hours of my life to do that. Other than that, I was crazy to decline their generous offer, I suppose.

There are some great people on that site but the bad ones really take it to the limit.

I know, I remember selling a great 1 * 15 cab for WAY less than it was worth. On top of that I had to drive out of my way to deliver it. I felt like a right eejit. On another occasion I half offered to drive an amp to Dublin (on a pick up only advert) I changed my mind when a work colleague offered to take it off my hands. I know its not the done thing but I welshed on the deal .. I got a load of shitty feedback on my profile. Oh well.

7 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Indeed - so when selling the first thing to look for is what they are going for now. Doesn't matter if you bought it at £800, if they are now £600 new you are not getting 700.

People also often don't consider the value of the ability to take it back to the shop or claim on the warantee. Unless something is very rare and very expensive I wouldn't pay above 75% for a second hand one in very good condition - hurts when you are selling but that is the way.

I just bought a s/h Yamaha Reface, they are £242 at PMT (where I would have bought one if they had price on them, but that is another thread!), most second hand ones on ebay are £210 + 10 shipping  - £24 difference for a warantee and take back if you don't like it service? Seems good value to me!

Plus people don't take into account that that 20% of the new cost was VAT anyway... 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, No lust in Jazz said:

I suppose some people enjoy the negotiation / badinage - I had a PJB combo on sale here, I wanted it gone so had it priced accordingly - One guy repeatedly asked 'So what is the minimum that you'd take for it?' to the point that I thought he was taking the p--s - I just find it tedious.

Pre my time on Bass chat I was selling some Markbass gear on eBay and was contacted by someone claiming to be a teenager, asking whether I knock the price down to bring it into his price range - I was ok with this, but it turned out that the buyer was in his mid-fifties and the same gear was on sale in the Basschat classifieds while still in transit, with one of those Photos to follow posts 

This guy's only contributions on Basschat seem to be selling - I often wonder where he gets the stuff.

Happened to me... pet hate is that "what's your best price" question... almost as if I didn't put an advert up with what my best price is. I flat out refuse to negotiate on price if asked that question. 
Had a guy buy a bass off me... spent ages trying to talk me down, got it and it was on eBay within a couple of days. 

• Like 1

I always try and remain calm and polite when dealing with the idiots and annoyances - you never know if they are genuine buyers who may not be good at communicating, and have to say that with very few exceptions, the genuine buyers have been fine.

The annoyances are usually a variation on "will you take half of what it's worth", whether in cash because they can give it to me now, or if I contact them if it doesn't sell.  Or will I end the auction now if they pay me the current bid (like they think I will be grateful for them giving me the absolute minimum amount that I am guaranteed to get and will happily forego the possibility that people might bid more before the end of the auction).  Maybe they are trying to take advantage of someone who may need the money in a hurry, maybe they just figure that if they don't ask they don't get, maybe they just can't afford any more than what they have bid and really don't want to lose the item.  But that's OK, I can politely say no thanks.

The only ones that ever get to me are those who tell me that I'm in the wrong for not selling to them at their price, lecturing me as though I'm breaching their human rights for not selling them the item for what they want to pay, and how I'll regret it because I definitely won't get more than that.  Even then I'll tell them that I welcome their maximum bid at that price and explain how an auction works, so if they're right then they will get the item for the price they want to pay.

Though the people who contact you to say that they don't want the item but here are a few tips for how to make my ad attract more views...they just bemuse me

The one exception to my "genuine buyers are usually good chaps", which actually ended up being an OK sale, was one where the buyer didn't seem to read the "PayPal or cash only, bass can be collected in person or posted once PayPal payment has cleared into my bank account".  While he was genuine, everything he tried sounded like a scam:

• Didn't have PayPal - can I give him my bank account details?  No
  • Doesn't want to pay for postage but doesn't work in London (armed with an All Zone travelcard I'd offered to drop it off anywhere near a tube station) so can I take it to his mate's place in Walthamstow and he will pick it up from him in due course?  No, and you haven't paid me yet so how about sorting out that PayPal stuff and getting me the money before we worry about where I'm delivering it to?
  • OK, he's sorted out PayPal and sent the money but because he's got a new account they've said that they won't confirm it to me until the payment clears from his bank account.  He's booked his ticket to London for two day's time so can he pick up the bass then even though I won't have the money in my bank account - he can show me e-mails confirming that he's sent the payment to PayPal for processing?  No.  Just no.

Eventually he did arrive with an envelope full of cash (and claiming that he had sorted out the payment he claimed to have sent by PayPal), so that was fine.  Although on receiving the bass he was disappointed to find that there wasn't a strap attached to it and he would have to pay extra to get one...there wasn't a strap in the ad, nor any promise that one would be provided.

I always suspected that if I had agreed to any of his requests then the bass would have gone and I'd never have seen any of the money.  In retrospect I'm amazed that he didn't try what I now know to be the con of paying me by PayPal, then collecting in person and asking for his money back because i had no proof of postage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Monkey Steve said:

was genuine, everything he tried sounded like a scam:

• Didn't have PayPal - can I give him my bank account details?  No
  •  

why not?

I'd have imagine that's safer for you, the seller, than Paypal is.

I had my Ashdown CTM-100w amp up on an Irish version of Gumtree (Adverts.ie) for about a week for €700. Took it down because:

1. The only comms I was getting was for trade ins.

2. Although it was 1/2 price I knew Id have to haggle even more and probably lose another €100 on it.

3. Id probably be coerced into a semi delivery.

4. Id probably be persuaded into a trace in for another Item I didn't really want (but convinced myself that I did) 

5. I realized it was a cool amp and I really didn't want to sell it 😂.

I was surprised I didn't get more interest in it though it was virtually 1/2 price....some people just cant see a bargain when they see it. 🤔

Edited by Quilly

29 minutes ago, Monkey Steve said:

possibly, but "complete stranger asks for bank account details" always makes me worry, especially when I've been very clear about making the payment in a different way

Agreed if you ask for one thing you presumably don’t want another, but from a sellers POV, the bank way is many times safer than PayPal 

7 minutes ago, Quilly said:

I had my Ashdown CTM-100w amp up on an Irish version of Gumtree (Adverts.ie) for about a week for €700. 

I was surprised I didn't get mote interest in it though it was virtually 1/2 price. .

Like anything it depends on if people are buying when you are selling. The more unusual the item the fewer people looking. The amount of times I have looked for something and found out that what I wanted went the previous month for a price I would have been happy to pay

as I understand it there's no problem giving enough bank a/c info out for someone to pay money in, they can't get money out with it, it's no more than what's on a debit card or cheque

Edited by PaulWarning
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Woodinblack said:

Agreed if you ask for one thing you presumably don’t want another, but from a sellers POV, the bank way is many times safer than PayPal 

Possibly worth adding that the first time I ever sold a guitar on eBay, I got contacted by someone who was very clearly trying to launder money - the guitar sold for about £600, and could I do him a favour so that he pays £10,000 into my bank account and then I forward the change to a different bank account as it's easier than him transferring the money himself.  Even said that he wasn't that fussed about getting the guitar as he was in Africa and my ad said UK buyers only and if I wanted a couple of hundred extra to cover my additional costs that was OK

Again, from an ad saying PayPal only...so I'm always twitchy about "buyers" who either haven't read the ad or have read it and decided that the bits they don't like shouldn't apply to them.  Why take the risk?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PaulWarning said:

as I understand it there's no problem giving enough bank a/c info out for someone to pay money in, they can't get money out with it, it's no more than what's on a debit card or cheque

they can, by setting up a direct debit or standing order.  You can then get the money back as it should be covered by the Direct Debit guarantee that all banks offer, but whether or not the bank can get the cash back from the criminals, and how quickly you spot what they've done - hassle i can do without

6 minutes ago, Monkey Steve said:

they can, by setting up a direct debit or standing order.  You can then get the money back as it should be covered by the Direct Debit guarantee that all banks offer, but whether or not the bank can get the cash back from the criminals, and how quickly you spot what they've done - hassle i can do without

I think they are safeguards in place to stop this happening, they would need access to your bank account, something Name, account number and sort code doesn't give them. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Monkey Steve said:

Possibly worth adding that the first time I ever sold a guitar on eBay, I got contacted by someone who was very clearly trying to launder money - the guitar sold for about £600, and could I do him a favour so that he pays £10,000 into my bank account and then I forward the change to a different bank account as it's easier than him transferring the money himself.  Even said that he wasn't that fussed about getting the guitar as he was in Africa and my ad said UK buyers only and if I wanted a couple of hundred extra to cover my additional costs that was OK

Again, from an ad saying PayPal only...so I'm always twitchy about "buyers" who either haven't read the ad or have read it and decided that the bits they don't like shouldn't apply to them.  Why take the risk?

No,

You transfer the money back to him. He then reclaims £10-K via paypal.