Why become a member? ×

Time Wasters.

bubinga5

18 minutes ago, borntohang said:

It's an incredibly pointless feature and I have no idea who they think it helps!

Right, cos typing "I'm interested" isn't particularly difficult, do we really need that done for us. 

Its probably an American sales thing,L. You've got a red hot lead, they must be interested to have been looking in the first place. There's no such thing as accidents, close that sale etc... 🙄😁

In return for a 2014 custom Fodera 6 Elite 6-string I had, some clown here offered me the pick of 3 basses from a selection of 4 he had - 2 US Standard Precision basses, 1 US Standard Jazz and a G&L L-2000.

I think a lot of chancers think you're super desperate to sell/trade or they think you're actually really dumb.

• Like 1

On 19/05/2019 at 12:16, jezzaboy said:

There is a guy round my way that every time I put a bass up for sale on Gumtree he will give you a lowball offer. If you are asking £300 he will say something like "I know you are looking for £300 but I have £150 and can come over and collect the bass today." 

After 2 or 3 of these offers, I sent him back a mail congratulating him on giving a stupid offer on every bass I have put up for sale. Haven`t heard back from him since.

When people like this contact me, I respond with something like "To you, £400." - I acknowledge it's childish but it makes me feel a little bit better that I've at least been able to waste some of their time.

7 hours ago, Doctor J said:

I got offered tattoos for a Warwick Streamer LX Jazzman fretless... again.

me too @EliasMooseblaster. So when you say 'again' this happens often does it? I mean tattoos specifically. I've had some weird stinky poo offered my way on trades, but not a tattoo yet. BTW, I do think mentioning the word trades in an ad invites the really extreme chancers. 

I had it listed last year and the tattoo guy first offered then. After a enduring a number of tyre-kickers I lost motivation and withdrew the ad. I relisted it recently and the same guy made the same offer again.

I was also offered a Rockbass as a trade for it, an offer I also felt compelled to reluctantly decline 😂

The best part is I never invite trades. I’ve found even saying “no trades” will lead to a few “I know you said no trades but...” which are even more irritating. I don’t object to trade offers, as a general rule, but, as you say, inviting them can attract all kinds of silliness.

Edited by Doctor J

On 21/05/2019 at 11:27, Steve Browning said:

Maybe there should be some form of selling template whereby this information is required to put a bass up for sale.

Mmmm...

Something like this?

Bass Guitar Selling Template.jpg

smiley

Edited by Teebs
  • Haha 3

On 19/05/2019 at 12:16, jezzaboy said:

There is a guy round my way that every time I put a bass up for sale on Gumtree he will give you a lowball offer. If you are asking £300 he will say something like "I know you are looking for £300 but I have £150 and can come over and collect the bass today." 

After 2 or 3 of these offers, I sent him back a mail congratulating him on giving a stupid offer on every bass I have put up for sale. Haven`t heard back from him since.

Gotta respect the dude, worth a try. At a bass up for £300, someone desperately in need of the cash would take the £150, I wouldn’t say that’s a ridiculous offer, £50 however would be!

I sent a message to a seller asking if his marching snare drum was still for sale. He replied instantly with a yes. I asked if he could arrange postage and how much that might be? He didn't respond and it's still listed for sale

43 minutes ago, Bassislife16 said:

Gotta respect the dude, worth a try. At a bass up for £300, someone desperately in need of the cash would take the £150, I wouldn’t say that’s a ridiculous offer, £50 however would be!

I’ve got to disagree with you. It’s a crappy lowball offer praying on the expectation that the seller is so desperate they’ll give it away.  Unless of course it is massively over-priced in the first place! Then again it’s better not to be in a position to be desperate for the cash in the first place but such is a musician’s life!

I'd agree that the very worst communications I've had are from the lowest value items, the absolute nadir being when I offered two pretty good sofas for free, the only condition being they were picked up. The number of 'Will you deliver?' messages was in equal parts annoying and depressing. Other than one protracted conversation, the gist of which went:

"I'll have those two sofas"

"Fine, when do you want to pick them up?"

"I haven't got any transport, you'll have to deliver them"

"I'm sorry, they're pickup only. Like it says in the ad."

"But I haven't got any transport"

"Sorry"

"But I really want them, i just haven't got any transport."

"Well, you haven't got two free sofas then, either."

That one was alllll annoying...

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, FDC484950 said:

I’ve got to disagree with you. It’s a crappy lowball offer praying on the expectation that the seller is so desperate they’ll give it away.  Unless of course it is massively over-priced in the first place! Then again it’s better not to be in a position to be desperate for the cash in the first place but such is a musician’s life!

I wouldn’t call £150 a “give it away” type of transaction. £150 is a lot of money to some people.

Say a bass had been for sale for 6 months for £300, and someone offered £150, that’s a perfectly fair offer considering it’s half of the asking price and lack there of a sale.

Personally, if you don’t ask, you don’t get. I’ve took losses on basses & guitars in the past and also made offers which have successfully been accepted. 

My Fodera YYS was for sale at £3000 for nearing a year, sold for £2300 in the end. But if you want something sold, you have to compromise, all the idiots on eBay with basses for sale high above their price tag think they’ll get what they’re asking, but they wont. Which is why they stay for sale for two or three years until being withdrawn. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Muzz said:

I'd agree that the very worst communications I've had are from the lowest value items, the absolute nadir being when I offered two pretty good sofas for free, the only condition being they were picked up. The number of 'Will you deliver?' messages was in equal parts annoying and depressing. Other than one protracted conversation, the gist of which went:

"I'll have those two sofas"

"Fine, when do you want to pick them up?"

"I haven't got any transport, you'll have to deliver them"

"I'm sorry, they're pickup only. Like it says in the ad."

"But I haven't got any transport"

"Sorry"

"But I really want them, i just haven't got any transport."

"Well, you haven't got two free sofas then, either."

That one was alllll annoying...

Reminds me of the Karl Pilkington sitcom where he gave a sofa away. Guy came round and didnt have transport so Karl had to help him carry it to another address, on the day he was going to a funeral. When they got to the other address it turned out the sofa guy was selling it to this other bloke. The second bloke changed his mind and didnt want it so Karl had to try and get it back too his house. The first bloke wanted £20 to help carry it back lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Bassislife16 said:

I wouldn’t call £150 a “give it away” type of transaction. £150 is a lot of money to some people.

Say a bass had been for sale for 6 months for £300, and someone offered £150, that’s a perfectly fair offer considering it’s half of the asking price and lack there of a sale.

Personally, if you don’t ask, you don’t get. I’ve took losses on basses & guitars in the past and also made offers which have successfully been accepted. 

My Fodera YYS was for sale at £3000 for nearing a year, sold for £2300 in the end. But if you want something sold, you have to compromise, all the idiots on eBay with basses for sale high above their price tag think they’ll get what they’re asking, but they wont. Which is why they stay for sale for two or three years until being withdrawn. 

So basically a offer of 75% of your original price.
Where the £150 was 50% of original price.
Even your Fodera is a lot more money overall, its a smaller percentage "loss" on your advertised price, no?
I think Basschat is pretty good for selling/ buying tbh. 
Far prefer this site to any others

8 minutes ago, FuNkShUi said:

So basically a offer of 75% of your original price.
Where the £150 was 50% of original price.
Even your Fodera is a lot more money overall, its a smaller percentage "loss" on your advertised price, no?
I think Basschat is pretty good for selling/ buying tbh. 
Far prefer this site to any others

Sometimes if you want to actually sell something for cash you have to meet in the middle at a 75%. Not everyone has £3000 for a bass, not everyone has £300 for a bass. Id rather take a loss on something than sit on it for 3 years at a price that’s unappealing and hindering a sale.