Why become a member? ×

Time Wasters.

bubinga5

10 minutes ago, bazzbass said:

asking the nut width, weight and model of the bass seems totally reasonable and would be what I would want to know too.

You know, I've lost count of the number of basses that have passed through my hands; obviously having done my due diligence pre-purchase, I know what I'm buying so I'm more than familiar with the specs, but never once have I really bothered about the weight, nut width, neck radius/profile, type of wood, pickups, bridge (except where Gibson 3-pointers are concerned).  It's all a nonsense.  Sure there's a need if you can't actually lift 10lbs or you have the hands of a five year old girl, but in general, nah.  I know the shapes I like and I have a visual preference for solid finishes and dark wood on my fingerboards, but that's pretty much it.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, NancyJohnson said:

It's all a nonsense.  

for someone with back and shoulder issues, and arthritis, weight is VERY important.

Some jazz basses come with P necks and vice versa, without asking you wouldn't know just from the description of a "Jazz" bass.

You wouldn't care what pups are in it? that is crazy. I don't think you thought your answer through, you contradict yourself "I know what I'm buying so I'm more than familiar with the specs, but never once have I really bothered about the weight, nut width, neck radius/profile, type of wood, pickups, bridge (except where Gibson 3-pointers are concerned).

Ummm those ARE the specs. without asking you don't know what aftermarket or optional part choices were made, for instance

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

That’s all very well if you’re buying off the peg mass production basses that are always going to be the same spec, but they are valid questions IMHO for basses where there are varied options, like Status for instance. 

I bought my Lulls off two A4 spec sheets, despite their apparent rarity (one of two, one of a few), I had no qualms about forking out nearly £10K for the pair!  

>Advert: Amp for sale, Collection only.

>Buyer: Can you deliver it to a destination 100 miles away

>Advert: Fender Precision bass for sale USA, no trades

>Buyer: I'll swap you for a BETAMAX video recorder (with a tape stuck inside) , an old threadbare ironing board cover and a Beano album for 1992.

>Advert:  Musicman Stingray for sale £1000, all reasonable offers considered

>Buyer: £156 and whatever I find behind the couch cushions.  

Edited by Quilly
tyop
  • Haha 3

Its even worse on photography forums. That lot are a nightmare and i dont sell much gear on those forums any more as i just dont have the time to take photos under ever conceivable situation, at every F stop etc, only for them to analyse the photos at 400% with CSI level software and say they can see a slight mark on a lens that could well be a decade old.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 18/05/2019 at 20:26, Maude said:

Sellers can be freaks as well, I had a right one on a Facebook selling page. I wanted to buy a VCR to convert some old videos of the kids to DVD. I work in Plymouth and saw one for sale in Plymouth, ideal I'll swing by one the way home from work. 

"Is it still for sale?" "Yes." 

'I'll have it, I'll pick it this evening at half five." "Yes." 

“Can I have you address please?“ “Yes."

After about an hour, " Can I have your address please so I can pick it up this evening?“ “Yes."

Another half an hour goes by, “Address?“ “I'm not giving out my address over Facebook, here's my mobile number, if you text when you're five minutes away, I'll give it to you then". 

"How the feck will I know when I'm five minutes away, five minutes away from where? This is too difficult, you can keep it!“

Seller, For sale knackered 1975 fender jazz bass for sale, £3500 because its old. 

My favourite is words similar to: "hand made custom Encore bass. £350" 

Absolutely having a giraffe. It's all over eBay, describing anything as "hand made" and "custom" even the cheapest bottom range stuff. Then asking for a premium price. Or saying "custom made" when really you've just bodged on some different aftermarket parts...

Just had another joker. Selling a BH250 on FB at 120 and happened to take pics with it standing on the RS212 so cab top is just visible. So this guy has just askedif i'll take £100 for the amp and cab :). And the ad says that's the price no offers. Chancers and flakes, gypsies n thieves - I've had em all.

• Like 3

On 18/05/2019 at 17:56, StevieE said:

I've found selling on the Facebook marketplace a bizarre experience. I'll get the "is this still available" message, reply pretty much straight away and then nothing!

Jokers 😒

That's a nice bass you're selling BTW, didn't realise they had a 36mm neck though! 

OK, so this is one of my massive bugbears about FB Marketplace and I have no idea why they made such a stupid interface choice. On the app it's incredibly easy to accidentally click one of the automatic responses to a post you weren't even really looking at. I consider myself fairly computer literate and not generally prone to fat thumbs syndrome, but four or five times now I have discovered that I've sent a message to a seller about something I have no interest in.

It was bad enough when it just posted a template comment on the post, but now that it actually messages the seller it's become a scourge that has nearly killed my remaining will to battle with the platform. Embarassing and a waste of time for both parties.

I feel bad about this one, but last year I sold a Rickenbacker 620 on gumtree and somebody offered me an incredibly low ball - something like 450 when I only wanted 950 on a 2K guitar in demo condition with all case candy plus some spare parts. I messaged him back politely and said I couldn't go lower than 900 collected but got a snarky message back and a offer of 550. I actually had a full price offer lined up so I just ignored that one, but for the next week he sent me increasingly desperate messages raising his offer slightly. The day I actually delivered the guitar to it's new home I got another message saying "OK, 950 DO WE HAVE A DEAL?!!!!" and really should have replied to decline, but to be honest I was enjoying myself a bit more than I strictly should have letting the git squirm. The other buyer turned out to be lovely and I spent almost two hours drinking coffee and swapping war stories.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Seller: For sale, practically brand new, never been played outside my bedroom road worn P bass. No marks or scratches........😵

I cant understand this...checking out a 90's fretless stingray at the moment and add reads: 'Immaculate' and 'home use only' . Do people really buy expensive instruments and never play them outside the home...why??

Guest MoJo
On 18/05/2019 at 17:56, StevieE said:

That's a nice bass you're selling BTW, didn't realise they had a 36mm neck though! 

2mm too thin for me.......damn, I've blown my cover

40 minutes ago, Quilly said:

I cant understand this...checking out a 90's fretless stingray at the moment and add reads: 'Immaculate' and 'home use only' . Do people really buy expensive instruments and never play them outside the home...why??

I wouldn't like to present an accurate figure but I would say that the majority of instruments sold are probably never played onstage, either because their owners don't gig or because they gig other things. I have guitars that I play around the house but wouldn't tour due to not working for that band or just being too sentimental to risk. There are even a significant percentage of posters on these forums who don't gig!

Edited by borntohang

42 minutes ago, Quilly said:

The one in Athlone? Check the withdrawn ads. A couple of years ago it had been "only gigged 4 times" 😉

7 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

The one in Athlone? Check the withdrawn ads. A couple of years ago it had been "only gigged 4 times" 😉

Oh right...Seen it on Adverts.ie seems a bit pricey. Worth €800 max

Edited by Quilly
edit

Guest MoJo
3 hours ago, borntohang said:

On the app it's incredibly easy to accidentally click one of the automatic responses to a post you weren't even really looking at. 

I had this exact thing happen to me recently and received an 'Is this available' message from someone I knew. I replied with a 'Hi, yes it is.' To which he replied, 'Sorry mate, I didn't realise that I'd clicked on it'. I've had lots of 'Is this available' messages in the past, only to never hear from them again when I reply. I can only assume that a lot of them have clicked on it unintentionally too.

4 hours ago, borntohang said:

OK, so this is one of my massive bugbears about FB Marketplace and I have no idea why they made such a stupid interface choice. On the app it's incredibly easy to accidentally click one of the automatic responses to a post you weren't even really looking at. I consider myself fairly computer literate and not generally prone to fat thumbs syndrome, but four or five times now I have discovered that I've sent a message to a seller about something I have no interest in.

It was bad enough when it just posted a template comment on the post, but now that it actually messages the seller it's become a scourge that has nearly killed my remaining will to battle with the platform. Embarassing and a waste of time for both parties.

I feel bad about this one, but last year I sold a Rickenbacker 620 on gumtree and somebody offered me an incredibly low ball - something like 450 when I only wanted 950 on a 2K guitar in demo condition with all case candy plus some spare parts. I messaged him back politely and said I couldn't go lower than 900 collected but got a snarky message back and a offer of 550. I actually had a full price offer lined up so I just ignored that one, but for the next week he sent me increasingly desperate messages raising his offer slightly. The day I actually delivered the guitar to it's new home I got another message saying "OK, 950 DO WE HAVE A DEAL?!!!!" and really should have replied to decline, but to be honest I was enjoying myself a bit more than I strictly should have letting the git squirm. The other buyer turned out to be lovely and I spent almost two hours drinking coffee and swapping war stories.

Ahh right, I hadn't realised that clicking that also sent an IM to Messager. Explains it... 🙄