Why become a member? ×

Starting own project/band

thundachopz

Hey

Been playing over a decade touring, gigging and recording etc etc. (Mostly for other so called bands and ego trips!) You get the idea...lookibg to brach out a little more and promote myself as a standlone musician to move on to possible better things....

I have now decided maybe starting my own project would be more suited as I would have more of an imput and voice?

As we all know finding the right musicians and set up is difficult and fustraiting.

I personally feel I havent expressed myself or my goods in any of the previously released material. (Some of you may feel the same)

Any of you in or have been in the same position?

Cheers

Edited by thundachopz

Guest oZZma

I was a beginner when I started this band so I had not great expectations about instrument proficiency but I struggled anyways to find like-minded people, in fact we stayed a duo in the end. The more you have an exact idea of what you want to do, the more difficult it will be. Good luck anyways :)

Yes! I love my band and bandmates but playing the same covers for three years and five different voices pulling in different directions... I'd like to have something else that is completely different. I've had a few different ideas stewing for years but alas, full time job and family commitments may mean it takes a few more years before I get it off the ground.

I’ve been there more than once. It’s a lot more work to put something together than slotting in the a pre-existing setup but is infinitely more satisfying. What works for me, before starting the search, is to have some music written in the style I’m aiming for. I can then give that to any prospective bandmate so they have a very clear idea of the direction I want to go in. It’s much cleaner than a list of bands or a verbal description of a musical style which is so easy for someone to misinterpret. Even then, you might find people who like the music but struggle to play it, or your personalities don’t quite gel, but that’s all part of the fun. 

I think it’s important to push towards what it is you want to express, if you feel you have something to say. Don’t sit back and just go along with someone else’s vision. If it’s in you, let it out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Doctor J said:

I’ve been there more than once. It’s a lot more work to put something together than slotting in the a pre-existing setup but is infinitely more satisfying. What works for me, before starting the search, is to have some music written in the style I’m aiming for. I can then give that to any prospective bandmate so they have a very clear idea of the direction I want to go in. It’s much cleaner than a list of bands or a verbal description of a musical style which is so easy for someone to misinterpret. Even then, you might find people who like the music but struggle to play it, or your personalities don’t quite gel, but that’s all part of the fun. 

I think it’s important to push towards what it is you want to express, if you feel you have something to say. Don’t sit back and just go along with someone else’s vision. If it’s in you, let it out.

Couldnt have said anything better mate! Yes overwelming urge to share my own vison! 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ricksterphil said:

Finding the right mix of other musicians is key. The band I'm in at has it and it's pure gold!

Likewise, first time where everything has been right, only took me til I was 48 to reach this point.

• Like 1