Why become a member? ×

IEM advice

B.Flat

I am a deaf old duffer, being told I am now playing too loud, so some sort of IEM seems to be the way to go.

My rig uses a YAMAHA PB1 preamp, which has both post-eq output and 'phones output (with level control on the phones out only) on the front panel..

I need the system to be inexpensive and a wired option need not be ruled out.

Would it be possible to run some sort of Bluetooth TX from either of the front panel o/p's ?

Advice on ear buds and any other aspect would be greatly appreciated.

you are probably in the wrong part of the forum. There's loads of discussion here. 

To save you from too much pain these come recommended as a reasonably priced IEM https://www.amazon.com/KZ-Balanced-Armature-Technology-Earphone/dp/B07BWGVKVR I have a set and they are OK though I need to experiment to get a better seal than the earbuds they came with.

Edited by Phil Starr

I also have the KZ ZS10 linked above, and I'm happy with them. Not sure you can do a lot better for the £30 or so that they cost.

One thing is you'll probably need an extension cable as well, unless you're going to stand very very close to the preamp.

It might be worth looking to get something like this https://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/Behringer-P2-Ultra-Compact-Personal-In-Ear-Monitor-Amplifier/26FN A beltpack headphone amp with some limiting to further protect your ears and crucially a volume control you can reach without bending. There are also passive models and one which allows you to mix in a stereo signalwhich could be a feed from the PA or possibly useful for headphone practice. I'm using a wireless connection with a beltpack receiver which is similar...but wireless. It's a Trantec system bought used but there's a LD systems one which our vocalist uses https://www.ld-systems.com/en/series/mei-one-series/

On 22/05/2019 at 08:59, Phil Starr said:

It might be worth looking to get something like this https://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/Behringer-P2-Ultra-Compact-Personal-In-Ear-Monitor-Amplifier/26FN A beltpack headphone amp with some limiting to further protect your ears and crucially a volume control you can reach without bending. There are also passive models and one which allows you to mix in a stereo signalwhich could be a feed from the PA or possibly useful for headphone practice. I'm using a wireless connection with a beltpack receiver which is similar...but wireless. It's a Trantec system bought used but there's a LD systems one which our vocalist uses https://www.ld-systems.com/en/series/mei-one-series/

Hi again Phil. I have looked at the Behringer Powerplay P1. Do you think I could find a small mic. to put in the second input so that I could mix a very small amount of ambience into the IEMs.? If yes would it work directly into the P2 input, and any suggestions where to look for a suitable mic (I do not think high quality would be absolutely neccessary.)

I've been toying with the best way to achieve just that. There's another thread somewhere were Dood of this parish suggested using a zoom recorder to get this effect. Press record and you can monitor through the built in mics. It works. I tried it at a rehearsal with my usual monitoring switched on. It picked up everything going on but by fixing it to the mic stand I could hear my vocals just slightly louder in the mix. More importantly I could control the volume of the band and turn the drummer/band down :) Once you can do that everything is clearer but crucially with an ambient mic you feel 'in the room'. 

Trouble is that band folded and I'm with a new band, lovely people but there are a few things to be sorted and I really need to be on it at gigs. I've not dared yet to try the ambient mic/zoom recorder out at a gig.

If it works I'm thinking of having a little four channel mixer for myself and using that to mix my monitoring. It would make more sense to do this at the desk but the band are still using backline for most of the sound and I don't have control of the PA. Playing the pubs you rarely get a sound engineer and I've yet to have one who knows what they are doing. That's not a comment about sound engineers btw, it's just realism about being at the bottom of the food chain.

but yes the Powerplay is designed to do just that, and I'm looking at the P1 as a possibility. My only reservation is having three leads trailing behind me, two mic and one bass. I move around a lot and the bass is wireless so I may go wireless for monitors too, but an ambient mic is I think a must.