Why become a member? ×

Sticky residue removal help.

27 minutes ago, casapete said:

Another homespun one - vodka! For some strange reason we have a small bottle of cheap vodka acquired from god knows where. Mrs CP uses it to remove marks, as you sure as hell wouldn’t want to neck it. Seems to work on most things although never tried it on an instrument to be fair, but it’s just another spirit I guess so who knows?

Drink the vodka and rub the sticker grot with the bottle!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, casapete said:

Another homespun one - vodka! For some strange reason we have a small bottle of cheap vodka acquired from god knows where. Mrs CP uses it to remove marks, as you sure as hell wouldn’t want to neck it. Seems to work on most things although never tried it on an instrument to be fair, but it’s just another spirit I guess so who knows?

Vodka is just dilute meths (with a dash of methyl alcohol added to make you go blind if you drink it).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Vodka is just dilute meths (with a dash of methyl alcohol added to make you go blind if you drink it).

Good thing is that it doesn’t smell, and as you say isn’t as potentially vicious as some other spirits. 

• Like 1

Sticky residue removal? Oooooer. Am I the only childish one on here? 😜

On a more serious note, white spirit will shift most residues from stickers. It won't harm finishes other than oil-based ones (which the finishes on most electric guitars aren't). Even on those, if you wipe on and off very quickly, it will be fine.

• Like 1

Try baby wipes, they're great for clearing up all kinds of mess. 

We had some tarmac thrown on our car bonnet on a hot day some years ago when my son was still a baby, all we had to hand was some baby wipes and not only did it clean all the tarmac off but it left the bonnet spotless, not a trace of anything sticky. God knows what they put in them but they're a great cleaning product! 

• Like 1

Finally got it off!  Sticky Stuff Remover did the job but it took 4 applications and a reasonable amount of elbow grease.  There's one small patch that stubbornly refuses to shift which I'm going to leave and it'll become part of the bass's story along with a few other dints and dongs...genuine wear and tear.  So I'm happy 😁.  Thanks to everyone for the help, advise and humour.  

20190521_124314.jpg

20190521_124327.jpg

Edited by Urban Bassman
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, xgsjx said:

Magic Eraser would ave removed it all in one go. 

So would a belt sander but there's more than one way to skin a cat. 

Actually the belt sander would do that as well :crazy:

• Haha 7

9 hours ago, Urban Bassman said:

Finally got it off!  Sticky Stuff Remover did the job but it took 4 applications and a reasonable amount of elbow grease.  There's one small patch that stubbornly refuses to shift which I'm going to leave and it'll become part of the bass's story along with a few other dints and dongs...genuine wear and tear.  So I'm happy 😁.  Thanks to everyone for the help, advise and humour.  

And don't go sticking another cheap plec' dispenser on another bass. Jeeze... 🙄

13 hours ago, Urban Bassman said:

Amen to that....horrid things.

They're very useful. I've got one stuck to the scratchplate on my Variax guitar, and another stuck to a strap plectrum holder and clipped to the strap of one bass. I wouldn't stick one on paintwork or onto wood.

37 minutes ago, tauzero said:

They're very useful. I've got one stuck to the scratchplate on my Variax guitar, and another stuck to a strap plectrum holder and clipped to the strap of one bass. I wouldn't stick one on paintwork or onto wood.

So... what do you use them for?

10 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

So... what do you use them for?

Um, holding plectrums. I use plectrums and fingerpick on guitar, and occasionally a plectrum on bass. Not sure what else they could be used for, except maybe an emergency biscuit if you carefully cut it to shape.

1 hour ago, tauzero said:

Um, holding plectrums. I use plectrums and fingerpick on guitar, and occasionally a plectrum on bass. Not sure what else they could be used for, except maybe an emergency biscuit if you carefully cut it to shape.

It's possible to fight these strange urges... 🙂

2 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

It's possible to fight these strange urges... 🙂

It goes against my very being, but if you're tributing someone who often uses a plectrum, things are taken out of your hands. Or, indeed, put into them.

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...