Why become a member? ×

Sticky residue removal help.

Hi all

I recently acquired a rather lovely Sandberg Ken Taylor 4 which is fab....however the previous owner stuck one of the pick holders on the back.of the bass on the belly cut.  I took it off because I didn't want it there but of course it's left behind a sticky mess...see pic.  I'd like to get it off but I'm pretty sure that cleaners like white spirit, nail polish remover/acetone snd the like would damage the finish. So can anyone suggest another way to remove the residue without affecting the finish?  All advice gratefully recieved.  Cheers 😊

20190518_164541.jpg

Whoever invented self-adhesive plectrum dispensers deserves a long, slow and painful termination.

My brother bought his wife a lovely Ibanez Talman semi-acoutsic with a gorgeous figured top (basically everything a Fender American Acoustasonic Telecaster should be except it looks fantastic, not sh1te like the Fenders).

image.thumb.png.3508b0b6b93c306ab0d900971b5c635e.png

image.png.1661db6017c14b04dcd06fe31b418fcf.png

First thing she did was fit a crappy pick dispenser on the front 😱

Meths and white spirit are what I use, stickness that responds to one of these rarely comes off with the other.

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 1

Lighter fluid is what you need, removes just about all forms of sticky, and have yet to find any finish damaged by it. I've used it for years on everything I need to get sticky residue off, and never had a problem.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FinnDave said:

Lighter fluid is what you need, removes just about all forms of sticky, and have yet to find any finish damaged by it. I've used it for years on everything I need to get sticky residue off, and never had a problem.

Then add a flame and end up with that burnt finish you always wanted 😀

3 minutes ago, steantval said:

Then add a flame and end up with that burnt finish you always wanted 😀

I believe that the famous 'guitar burning' by Jimi Hendrix was an unfortunate accident involving a lit cigarette while he was trying to remove a sticker from his strat. Unfortunately, history doesn't record what the offending sticker depicted.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, FinnDave said:

I believe that the famous 'guitar burning' by Jimi Hendrix was an unfortunate accident involving a lit cigarette while he was trying to remove a sticker from his strat. Unfortunately, history doesn't record what the offending sticker depicted.

Do you mean that setting his guitar on fire was originally accidental, but then he worked the idea into his stage show?

There's quite a few clips of him burning his guitar at the Monterey festival on YouTube, but I don't know if that was a one-off spectacle or a regular thing.

'Spose Chas Chandler must have put him up to it - I understand he was very manipulative and actively encouraged most of Jimi's excesses, in all areas.

He's got a lot to answer for.    :sad:

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, musicbassman said:

'Spose Chas Chandler must have put him up to it - I understand he was very manipulative and actively encouraged most of Jimi's excesses, in all areas.

He's got a lot to answer for.

He made Slade cut off their hair...

10 hours ago, Mykesbass said:

Meths is a very mild paint remover - probably won't affect a poly finish, but do take care if anyone is is thinking of using it on their bass.

It will attack shellac/french polish type finishes and some water based ones.

OTOH white spirit can bleach out tiled finishes.

'Test on an inconspicuous part of the garment'

• Like 1

Magic Eraser will remove it without issue or damage & can be bought from most supermarkets & budget swag shops (B&M, the range, etc). 

Isoprop & rubbing alcohol will also remove it, but you’ll find a lot more uses for a Magic Eraser. Clean the white on your converse to like new, clean the inside of the car windscreen with no streaks, remove scuff marks or permanent marker.  I don’t even sell the things!

• Thanks 1

Another homespun one - vodka! For some strange reason we have a small bottle of cheap vodka acquired from god knows where. Mrs CP uses it to remove marks, as you sure as hell wouldn’t want to neck it. Seems to work on most things although never tried it on an instrument to be fair, but it’s just another spirit I guess so who knows?

• Thanks 1