Why become a member? ×

Can you identify the neck wood ?

DanTM

Hello everybody !

I recently bought quite an old Schecter PJ bass which is with my "guitar doc" at the moment to get a new brass nut and new frets.

The body is made from Koa but I am not really sure what the neck is made of. Unfortunately only the serial number and not the "article number" is branded in the neck heel as you can see on the attached pictures.

I am tending towards Cocobolo but I am not sure.

Is there anyone around, maybe with a luthier background, who can help me with identifiying the wood ?

I attached one page of an old catalog which lists all possibilities.

Thank you very much,
Dan

Schecter Fretboard.jpg

Schecter Hals Back 2.jpg

Schecter Hals Back.jpg

Schecter Hals Front.jpg

12.jpg

Edited by DanTM
  • Like 1

It's beautiful.!!!. But I doubt there is any luthier on the planet that can tell what wood it is from some pictures. Ive seen rosewood that looks like cocobolo. Its wood. All grain in certain species is different, depends on the tree that it was cut from.. I have a Sei Jazz that I know has a brazilian rosewood fret board, and it doesn't look like Brazilian rosewood. 

Like I said that is a beautiful neck wood. Its a one piece neck I presume.? It certainly looks like Cocobolo with that swirl in the grain.

I have a full rosewood neck which looks similar. But I am in no way qualified to comment. I would like to see the body. It sounds like a very good looking combo. I am shallow enough to be a sucker for a good looking combination.