Why become a member? ×

NBD Reggie Hamilton Jazz Bass

Davebassics

Picked this up on eBay last week. Been in the hunt for a P/J or a P/MM. Having played jazz basses for the first 10+ years before moving to P, I knew I'd be comfortable with the jazz shape and neck. It's been kept in great condition with only a few tiny dents. Was a little over budget but I did get a nice tweed hard case and spare scratch plate and pickup so can't complain!

Action was quite high so I lowered it a bit and loosened off the truss rod a little based up on some YouTube advice. Plays better now but it's going to be a definite investment to get a guitar tech or Luther to give it a proper once over. Can anyone recommend anyone in west Yorkshire?

The model P pickup is nice but it's difficult to blend with the fender noiseless bridge pickup. I may have to have a look at what pick up I have in my squier CV P bass because I love that. In case the chap who sold it to me via basschat in 2012 is reading, can you remember?! Don't rate the preamp that much but I'm a passive guy anyways. I'll leave it in and just run passive. The battery ran out within the first hour of playing so the active/passive switch is now a more convienient kill switch. Some electronic experimentation required!

Neck is really nice. The shape will take a little getting used to, it's a little deeper than my pbass but comfort will come in time. Has a lovely satin finish.

Anyways ... boring stuff over, here are some photos!

20190518_153422.jpg

20190518_153417.jpg

• Like 3

Damn, was watching this and forgot to bid.

did the seller include the original p pickup? I seem to recall they came with a nice vintage American 62 reissue p pickup which might suit the j pickup in terms of balance more.

you lucky person - good price too.

20 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Damn, was watching this and forgot to bid.

did the seller include the original p pickup? 

Thank you for not bidding!

He did but it wasn't available when my father in law collected. The seller is going to post it. Would be really good to try it if is is a 62, been on my to try list.

Having had another day of played (all be it through my ipad) the dimarzio ultra P has definitely got less top end and presence than my squier P. I can't remember what I have in there, I'd have to open it up. It's maybe going to be a bit dull for my tastes but will give it a go and the next few rehearsals and gigs

On 18/05/2019 at 17:55, Davebassics said:

Picked this up on eBay last week. Been in the hunt for a P/J or a P/MM. Having played jazz basses for the first 10+ years before moving to P, I knew I'd be comfortable with the jazz shape and neck. It's been kept in great condition with only a few tiny dents. Was a little over budget but I did get a nice tweed hard case and spare scratch plate and pickup so can't complain!

Action was quite high so I lowered it a bit and loosened off the truss rod a little based up on some YouTube advice. Plays better now but it's going to be a definite investment to get a guitar tech or Luther to give it a proper once over. Can anyone recommend anyone in west Yorkshire?

The model P pickup is nice but it's difficult to blend with the fender noiseless bridge pickup. I may have to have a look at what pick up I have in my squier CV P bass because I love that. In case the chap who sold it to me via basschat in 2012 is reading, can you remember?! Don't rate the preamp that much but I'm a passive guy anyways. I'll leave it in and just run passive. The battery ran out within the first hour of playing so the active/passive switch is now a more convienient kill switch. Some electronic experimentation required!

Neck is really nice. The shape will take a little getting used to, it's a little deeper than my pbass but comfort will come in time. Has a lovely satin finish.

Anyways ... boring stuff over, here are some photos!

20190518_153422.jpg

20190518_153417.jpg

not sure how many setup work or repair work they actually take on but i'd definitely recommend getting in touch with alpher 

On 18/05/2019 at 15:55, Davebassics said:

This is stellar, love that transparent burst with the tort guard. I haven't seen many PJ combos in a Jazz body, I much prefer that body shape!

On the subject of techs around West Yorkshire and getting a set-up, I went to Gordon White at Single Coil in Leeds. He's based at Blueberry Hill Studios on Kirkstall Road in Leeds, really easy to get to from the motorway if you're not super local (although I'd avoid rush-hour). He's worked on a few of my mates guitars too and always does good work, lovely bloke too. Bucket-loads of experience.

The bass had its first run out at rehearsal last night. I couldn't be more pleased. Any concerns I had about the Model P being too dark have been calmed. It cut through really nicely. I had to engage the 'Bite' option on my sansamp VT DI to give the bass a little more presence. I had tried this at home under more critical listening conditions and was a bit concerned that it sounded a little bit .... manufactured? It brighten the sound up but it didn't sound natural. It sounded like some quite harsh EQ. However, within the mix I couldn't tell and it sat very nicely.

The pickups are still unbalanced to each other, the Model P is way louder than the noiseless jazz, and there is some wierd filtering that goes on when you blend the two together. I'm looking at getting a Model J into the bridge. I also am not a fan of the preamp. I am a passive kind of guy .... one less thing to go wrong and I feel you get more of the sound of the bass in your tone which makes any articulations in your playing come through a little more. Maybe thats some sort of placebo thing though. The problem is lack of tone control when in passive mode. I may look at getting something passive installed. I hear people raving about KiGon wiring kits. Does anyone know where these live on the internet?