Why become a member? ×

Music man Cutlass / Caprice discontinued?

emilibass

Hi there,

Somebody informed me that Musicman has removed Cutlass and Caprice models form their webpage. I don't know if that means they ahve stopped producing them or that they are going to updated the models in some way.

Does anybody have more info? The truth is that they are really interesting models, specially the Cutlass with a Precision sound that, in my opinion, Fender has failed to nail in their recent P models, and all the improvements in playability and adjustment. 

Edited by emilibass
  • Like 1

The retail price hasn’t helped at all: from £1700 / 2000€. Fender P retails at £1300 / 1500€. That’s quite a difference for standard American-made basses. I would have no doubs whatsover if it retailed at the same price: for me, the Cutlass wins clearly.

Edited by emilibass
  • Like 1

Fender has also discontinued the Dimension series, just a speculation but I don’t think that’s a coincidence. I thought  these were a response to the Dimensions, but neither series did particularly well. It’s possible the 2 companies had a chat with each other and decided to stop stepping on each other’s toes. Who knows. I tried a Cutlass a while ago, I loved the look but it definitely felt different to a Precision.

I quite liked the look of the Cutlass/ Caprice when I first saw theme - thought that they could fill the gap for MM users who preferred the look of a J or a P. I expected them to fly off the shelf. I think I've only seen one for sale so clearly they didn't.

Shame really. Maybe I should buy one and lock it away for safe keeping for the next 20 odd years...possible collectors item??

8 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I quite liked the look of the Cutlass/ Caprice when I first saw theme - thought that they could fill the gap for MM users who preferred the look of a J or a P. I expected them to fly off the shelf. I think I've only seen one for sale so clearly they didn't.

Shame really. Maybe I should buy one and lock it away for safe keeping for the next 20 odd years...possible collectors item??

Apparently the Old Smoothie is next, according to a guy at Strings & Things. You may want to grab one of those too - awesome basses with their own vibe. 

...not sure how your return will turn out though! 

Edited by Chiliwailer

Adore the tone of that Cutlass, though I prefer the body shape of the Caprice. Still, the Cutlass is another example of Musicman cannibalising their own model names and causing confusion yet again - see Musicman Sterling vs Sterling by Musicman:dash1:

• Like 1

I liked the look of them but it was silly money for passive P and PJ basses.

There's no shortage of well made basses out there that do the same thing for half of what  Music Man were charging for these two models.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 4

The only Caprice I ever tried was way superior to any Fender I've played (no matter the range, even CS) in both feel AND sound. I was hoping they'd come up with a 5 string version eventually. I've been seeing this coming in TalkBass for months, sad.

• Like 2

I agree the flavour here. Too much money for a bass that can be obtained much more cheaply in a competitor. 

The new prices on MM basses are frankly ludicrous as well. Boutique level prices for mass produced instruments. 

Don’t get me wrong. I’m a fan of EBMM basses. I’ve owned or played most of them and love the Sterling HH I have. But I would never have parted with the cash for a new one. Just insaaaaaaaaane money. 

Secondhand (here or elsewhere) has sorted me for most instruments I own. Love me a secondhand bass...lol

Edited by funkle
  • Like 1