Why become a member? ×

Proper STEINBERGER and none of your "spirit"

One for @SpondonBassed here!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Steinberger-XL25A-5-string-headless-bass-guitar-rare-vgc/223514699862?hash=item340a83a856:g:2RIAAOSw8CJc2toW

Anyone remember that film Subway with Isabelle Adjani and Christopher Lambert .. in which an impromtu funk band played after hours in a music shop ...  one of these.  Beloved of Jamaladeen Tacuma (aka Rudy McDaniel ) too.   Spirit of the 80s. 

image.png.66bbb6c99a134f68911225edbe130beb.png

Tried one in in that Bass Centre shop in London once - bit bland to be honest, but very clear and clean.

• Thanks 1

Ooh!  Thanks.

That the composite one and all.  My wooden one has a lovely voice.  Something in me rebels against the notion of having one though.  Composites are for aircraft and light structures in engineering generally.  Too technical to make me feel there is much soul in it.

I've owned a few of these over the years, including a very rare 'wide 5', and there's really nothing quite like them if you can get over the look and the lack of conventional body. Huge sound, fantastic clarity, endless sustain, and no dead spots anywhere. For me, the wooden copies seem lifeless in comparison. This one looks like it's been damaged on the bottom wings though. Still tempting, but the ultra-narrow string spacing would flummox my gorilla mitts...

• Like 1