Why become a member? ×

Re-silk strings?

donslow

Probably a stupid thing to ask but here goes anyway......

I’ve a set of flats on my only bass that are well worn in and sounding magnificent so looking to keep them where they are!

Have recently changed over the neck on my bass and noticed the silks are coming off of the strings, is there something that can be done to re-silk or at least cover the ends up so as not to damage the machine head posts they are on?!

does loose / missing silk make ANY difference to ANYTHING at all or should I just tune up and forget about it?

many thanks for any advice / help in advance

Edited by donslow

Silks on flats are generally, but not always, are wrapped into the top binding of the string, which I guess stops the silks from moving or bunching up. So there is no way to re-wrap the string with silks AFAIK.

If there are bald patches of missing silk it makes no difference, just trim any fluffy bits if it suits. Original flats never had silks and worked just fine. As long as you don't use the strings on different basses too many times as the grounded down top layer of flats can start to break apart or unravel, which will impact the strings ability to stay in tune.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Meddle said:

I've done it many times. You only need to burn off the 'hair' coming off the nylon. The heat gun I use to shrink the heat shrink tubing isn't close enough or dwelling on one point long enough to ever create a 'clump of polymer'. 

I was referring to removing all silk from the string will result in a clump of polymer. If you simply want to remove a few bits of fluff, give it a trim with some precision scissors - no need for a lighter.