Why become a member? ×

A major quandary

Lozz196

On 19/05/2019 at 20:14, LukeFRC said:

is it possible that you've just done something to your wrist and need to give it a few weeks rest to recover? 

That's one possibility.

But rest is not always the best way to get better, it depends on the nature of the problem. I endured months of pain, resting my arm as much as possible, and in the end what I needed to do was ensure that certain little forearm muscles were exercised carefully: resting was actually delaying my recovery.

That's why I think going to a physio could be the best strategy. Modifying or selling instruments is an adaptation but it's better if you can actually fix the issue.

• Thanks 1

It may not be the neck as such; but the fact that a particular neck uses your wrist in a particular way and has given you a repetitive strain injury.  The alternative neck (maybe) puts slightly different stresses on your wrist and doesn't exacerbate the RSI.

I had something similar (on my plucking had though) that caused 10 - 15 minutes of bass guitar playing to make my wrist hurt (for hours) and I was waking up with a hand that barely moved.  Thought I was getting arthritis in my right hand.  Sorted out by a physio who gave me some wrist mobility and stretching exercises to do ... who also said, don't stop playing, just take regular rests, don't over do it and keep doing the exercises.  £60 well spent (and cheaper than replacing my basses!) - if I feeling it coming on again, I stop playing and do the stretches for a bit.

In fact, the root cause was not bass playing, it was my wrist resting on the table whilst I typed; bass playing just irritated the injured "soft tissue".....

Dont lose hope .. it will get get better.

It may just be a temporary strain?

Maybe keep playing the mex for a month, then try the us again?

If you still have no luck, then either stick with the mex or use it as an excuse to source another bass - or even have a custom made?

@Lozz196 One of the nerves in my left wrist is damaged and that has made it uncomfortable for me to play standard scale basses for more than a few minutes at a time. A mate of mine who's in the medical profession suggested a short scale bass to help reduce the wrist angle when playing. I picked up a cheap Ibanez Talman shorty from a mate and problem solved. I can now get through a 2 hour plus gig without any fatigue or cramps. 

I also wear a neoprene wrist support that really helps. You can get ones that look like sweat bands which hopefully shouldn't look too out of place with the image of your band. This is the one I use.

Switching over to short scales has forced me to sell 2 of my 3 beloved Sandbergs. I'm in negotiations with someone to let the last one go. Like you with your Precisions, these are, or were, my perfect basses. But needs must, if I'd have kept my Sandbergs they'd be little more than ornaments which is wrong for such sublime instruments. I miss playing them but the change means that I can continue gigging which I wouldn't have been able to had I not switched. I've now got 3 short scale gigging basses instead. 

As for your strap length, it might not be the cool thing to do but if you shortened it a bit it may well help, even if you shorten by just a couple of inches. I'm a fat, bald middle aged man so any notion of looking cool has long gone for me 😀 I have the strap adjusted so the bass hangs at the same height as it is when I'm playing sitting down. 

Surely the problem is your wrist, not the bass. I would go and see a physio if you can, get your wrist and hand looked at. While it may hurt less using a different bass you may have some damage to your wrist or hand that is not being addressed longer term. While this is no kind of medical diagnosis if I were you I'd get it seen to in case problems come back worse later in life. Probably cheaper than buying new basses.

• Like 1

On 17/05/2019 at 20:52, 3below said:

.  This bass rotates the neck away from my body and results in much less wrist rotation angle and flexure stress and  I find it very comfortable. 

Hi - this is an important point.

As both a bass builder and an erosive arthritis sufferer, I've done quite a lot of experimenting and have repositioned the strap button points on ALL of my own basses and guitars.  This is to bring the bodies more upright.  As @3below says, normal front horn buttons pull the top of the bass body in towards you - making your wrist have to work in a very unnatural twisted position.

It has made the difference between me once considering giving up both guitar and bass versus, now, being able to play comfortably and normally.

My instruments are away being video'd at the moment, but I'll see if I have some stock photos tl show what I have done.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Hi - this is an important point.

As both a bass builder and an erosive arthritis sufferer, I've done quite a lot of experimenting and have repositioned the strap button points on ALL of my own basses and guitars.  This is to bring the bodies more upright.  As @3below says, normal front horn buttons pull the top of the bass body in towards you - making your wrist have to work in a very unnatural twisted position.

It has made the difference between me once considering giving up both guitar and bass versus, now, being able to play comfortably and normally.

My instruments are away being video'd at the moment, but I'll see if I have some stock photos tl show what I have done.

You know, its funny you say that. I was watching an old John Lee Hooker performance the other day, and his bassist was wearing his bass very upright (like a double bass). It looked a bit weird but I'm sure it was a more natural position for his fretting hand. I seem to think that the original electric bass was supposed to be worn like that, hense the position of the tug bar being placed so you pluck with your thumb (could've just made that up though) 😬

The other 'dimension' to throw into this is 'portliness' which has certainly crept up on me with age.  For some reason I am not the same slimline shape I was in my 20s and 30s. I find the SG strap button (back of the body) in conjunction with my body shape works really well in helping tilt the body away from me.  Top horn buttons are not as good for me.  The more upright bass position mentioned by DoubleOhStephan also helps significantly.  I aim to play with about a 90 degree elbow bend and my wrist/ hand 'straight on' to my arm, no wrist rotation. YMMV but I find this comfortable, 3hrs+ playing is no problem.

When I talk about upright, I'm not talking about the angle of the neck against horizontal (although that can also help) I'm talking about the angle of the body profile against vertical.

I'll draw a picture as soon as I can get to the desktop ;)

1 hour ago, 3below said:

The other 'dimension' to throw into this is 'portliness' which has certainly crept up on me with age.  For some reason I am not the same slimline shape I was in my 20s and 30s. I find the SG strap button (back of the body) in conjunction with my body shape works really well in helping tilt the body away from me.  Top horn buttons are not as good for me.  The more upright bass position mentioned by DoubleOhStephan also helps significantly.  I aim to play with about a 90 degree elbow bend and my wrist/ hand 'straight on' to my arm, no wrist rotation. YMMV but I find this comfortable, 3hrs+ playing is no problem.

Yes - this ^

I have the strap button acoustic style - at the bottom of the heel. So the strap pulls the whole bass upright and eliminates the need to twist your wrist

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/05/2019 at 20:48, la bam said:

It may just be a temporary strain?

Maybe keep playing the mex for a month, then try the us again?

If you still have no luck, then either stick with the mex or use it as an excuse to source another bass - or even have a custom made?

Yep, decided that’s my plan, just going to use the new MIM Player for June and see how it goes. 

Edited by Lozz196

Well, used the MIM Player Precision at a gig on Sat, no wrist/hand aches or pains, just done a video with one of my US Precisions and the aches and pains are back. I’m afraid I’m gonna just have to do the sensible thing, which is gutting but the very reason that I love my US Precisions is now causing me aches & pains. Bah!

Raise the strap a bit to lessen the angle on your fretting hand's wrist?

I've gradually raised mine over the years (when i was 20 i didn't want to know, but now I'm 45 comfort is becoming an issue).

It certainly makes fretting easier and seems to balance the instrument better too (more of it in constant contact with me).

Worth a go innit?