Why become a member? ×

spector coda 4 bass

BaggyMan

Well, I have owned a considerable number of basses in the last 38 years. A couple of which were spectors, a 5 string euro lx, and a 5 string legend.  Both lovely and very capable.  So there is was on the auction site that must be not be named and a glass of wine or two and a PayPal debit later and boom I am now the owner of a coda 4.  Curly maple top, fantastic neck, tone pump pre amp if I am not mistaken and with a bit of fettling plays great, great tone and super low action.  Yet, not much out there info wise.  ??  I know there are Far East and us versions...but are the Far East ones still in production??.  Whatever, impressed.  Anyone with more details..?

Edited by BaggyMan

out of the box, it came from a collector so not played that much.  Fret work is excellent, decent fretboard wood (brown...) not nasty fret ends.  Quilt maple top red trans finish, fade to black on sides and back. Warwick style tuners, jazz bass layout.  Action was a little high for my taste so cranked that down, deciding that in the end a shim on the neck would give a bit more adjustment on the bridge.  Did that and all good.

Bad points?, Hmmm nothing huge, string spacing is a little narrow (17mm at the bridge).  Bridge is inset into the body so changing it out would be less than straight forwards.  The bridge it self is a floating block design with locking screws.  Setting the intonation was a little fiddly.  If I chance on a screw adjustable version that will fit the rebate I will swap it out.  No active /passive switching that I can see.  Which I don't use anyway on my Warwick so...just sayin'

Its ready to gig and looking forward to it as tonally its great with vol vol treble and bass controls.  Flexible and decent pre amp/pickups (EMG Hz)  matched nicely.   Overall fit and finish is great.

IMG_20190517_165010.jpg

IMG_20190517_165102.jpg

IMG_20190517_165032.jpg

Edited by BaggyMan
  • Like 2

Thanks for that.  Looks like a pretty std Spector locking bridge which I got used to over time.  Just checking you know to loosen the hex nuts to and bottom before adjusting as that makes it a whole lot easier?

Didn't realise that the string spacing on these was narrower as I like my 19mm for my large hands / fingers.  Still want to find one to try out though.