Why become a member? ×

What to do with old sheet music?

Jakester

My dad and my uncle were both drummers, and from the 40's/50's (uncle) and 60's (dad) onwards both played in loads of different groups. (They're both still around, BTW, lest anyone think this is a sad/emotional tale!)

My uncle in particular had his own band which, until about 15 years ago, was still gigging. I think it was a 'dance band' i.e. they did stuff for ballroom dancing, RAF gigs, that sort of thing, but I'm not 100% on that.

Anyway, back then he gave me three or four boxes of his band arrangements. They're all hand-written charts but good quality paper, not just printer paper or whatever. The tunes are sort of sub-big-band type stuff I think, These boxes have been following me round for many years and to be honest I've barely ever looked into them. The boxes themselves are now falling apart, and I don't really have the inclination to rebox it all up and keep it, but on the other hand there's probably some decent charts and there's a bit of post-war history in them.

Before I chuck them out, does anyone know of any groups or organisations which might be able to use them or want them? 

Edit: oh, and my uncle won't want it back, he gave it all to me as he was giving up playing in bands due to his age.

Edited by Jakester

If they are not of sufficient musical or historical interest, I bet a craft-y person could do something nice with them. Might even be a nice idea for a gift for said relatives. 

If they're pretty I might be interested in a couple of charts to frame etc.

But only if they're truly not of any other worth - be terrible to lose something that might be the only record of local musical interest.