Why become a member? ×

Finally, first builds underway 🤞Both now complete

walshy

4 hours ago, Unknown_User said:

Those look ace.  Lovely piece of wood.  What sort of finish are you putting on it?

Hmm was going to paint them but the grain looks lovely. So I’m now undecided. Plenty of time before I have to decide. 

8 hours ago, walshy said:

Hmm was going to paint them but the grain looks lovely. So I’m now undecided. Plenty of time before I have to decide. 

Keep the grain and paint the next one you do 😉👍🏻

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Unless the decal is precious (is it a genuine fender neck?) you could match the headstock to the body

Yeah one is allparts and another handmade so it’s an option for sure. Waiting for the 62 custom shop pups to arrive today and then a quick dry run once lined up before I shape the body and stuff more accurately. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hooky_lowdown said:

Some Danish Oil on that wood will really bring out it's character. 62 CS pups, the best choice p bass pups IMHO.

They’ve arrived! Hope they’re as good as I remember!!! 

6902F39E-73F8-4F92-A7CE-4FC676BF0961.jpeg

• Like 1

Great work so far 👍

+1 for a natural finish, plenty 'how to' info available on here including 'Honza's Tru oil technique'.

That wood looks like it could come out beautifully, shame to cover it with paint IMO..

4 minutes ago, BassTool said:

Great work so far 👍

+1 for a natural finish, plenty 'how to' info available on here including 'Honza's Tru oil technique'.

That wood looks like it could come out beautifully, shame to cover it with paint IMO..

Yeah I'm kinda leaning towards maybe one of each. Paint one and keep one natural. Not the plan at the beginning but the grain is looking well so far. 

Well dry run on each was a success so more shaping and sanding on the bodies and hopefully get the natural finish one done next week (May paint one). The ‘62 custom shop pick ups sounded mighty. 

Natural finish, what do you guys recommend? I use OSMO polyx oil on furniture and stuff so that may work? Also heard gun stock oil. Really want to bring the grain out now. 

Many help appreciated

8 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

I think I pm’d you various videos as well did I?

Yeah got the pics and stuff too bud. Hopefully have one complete this week. Sounds bloody great too!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

Those pick ups are fantastic and if that wood resonates as well/good as it looks, it’s a winning combination 

Ah man it’s amazing. I’ve used the wood for  mates guitar, telecaster shape with P90 pick ups, he uses it for Fu Fighters too, and it sounded mighty. It’s now his number 1 go to which is what got me thinking. The P sounded huge with the ‘62 pups and wiring/capacitor. Can not wait. Got a 2 week space between the gig today so that’s my target!

• Like 1

Lots of sanding, shaping and more sanding. First coat of oil down on the natural one. 50-50 coat first and let that dry overnight. I am going to paint on, sorry gents! Really enjoying it so far and the grain on the walnut one is lovely.

1AAFD544-5489-4225-AD24-AA59F0E370B0.jpeg

803B2074-51AE-47C9-BCF9-5ACA2B3D7B1E.jpeg

D36AC3E3-5283-4684-B8B2-83FF548F7637.jpeg

4C5A19FF-DA1A-4CE2-A9D2-46B75611C734.jpeg

1C4DC2F8-B3CD-48F5-BC5A-C8A4812E3DDB.jpeg

• Like 2