Jump to content
Left leaderboard
Grahambythesea

Great bass lines you’ve forgotten about.

Recommended Posts

Listening to the radio the other day, they played a track in connection with the forthcoming bio-pic about Elton John. It was of course “Rocket Man” which I haven’t listened to in decades. I was knocked out by the excellent bass line which is a real feature of the song and it started me thinking ( always dangerous) about other songs that have long since passed from memory which have really good bass lines. Any suggestions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Unknown_User said:

The William Shatner version of Rocket Man has to be the definitive interpretation for me!

Shame his range of ladies underwear didn't take  off, Shatner knickers was never going to work 🤣

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, KiOgon said:

Shame his range of ladies underwear didn't take  off, Shatner knickers was never going to work 🤣

If he'd have done a men's range he could have called it Bill's Grundies.

Apologies to @Grahambythesea for derailing this at the first hurdle!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't forgotten as such but loved all the punk stuff when I was starting out 

Nearly always prominent and busy 

Damned ,SLF,Stranglers,buzzcocks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Played Talking Heads Fear of Music in the car this morn, paying more attention to the bass than usual.  Tina Weymouth plays some lovely lines throughout, inventive and melodic and right on the money esp on  Paper, Cities and Animals.

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve just got a new Fender Player Precision and for some reason it just felt right to play Psycho Killer by Talking Heads in it, a bassline I’ve not played for ages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Grahambythesea said:

Listening to the radio the other day, they played a track in connection with the forthcoming bio-pic about Elton John. It was of course “Rocket Man” which I haven’t listened to in decades. I was knocked out by the excellent bass line which is a real feature of the song and it started me thinking ( always dangerous) about other songs that have long since passed from memory which have really good bass lines. Any suggestions?

"Oliver's Army" with Bruce Thomas on bass. Amazingly strong and melodic bass lines.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are loads, but I don't know what they are as I've forgotten about them.

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Unknown_User said:

The William Shatner version of Rocket Man has to be the definitive interpretation for me!

 

Edited by SpondonBassed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

'Band Of Gold' with Bob Babbit on Bass. 

I like how the driving Bass line is phrased with the vocals in places. 

 

Edited by lowdown
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Wylie said:

"Oliver's Army" with Bruce Thomas on bass. Amazingly strong and melodic bass lines.

Oh yes, I’d forgotten that one, good choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I forget how good "Badge" is till I hear it again...

I'm sure there were people at the time thinking "that boy's got potential"...they were right.

 

Edited by TheGreek
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/05/2019 at 15:17, TheGreek said:

I forget how good "Badge" is till I hear it again...

I'm sure there were people at the time thinking "that boy's got potential"...they were right.

 

Another great choice, but then Jack never played a bad bass line.  And he sang at the same time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve been playing  a bit of Bob Marley lately, which I haven’t really played in years , this was one of my favourites from about 1980 , great  Bassline 🙂

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Played Setting Sons today for the first time in years.

Bruce is on form with this cracking bass line.

 

Edited by Hobbayne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Badge is a classic.  

Frankie Valli - The Night is one that always blows me away.  Don't hear it for ages then it pops up on the radio and I can't get it out of my head. 

 

Edited by gs_triumph
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good one @gs_triumph . All Four Seasons songs had really strong backings. The original band were great musicians but not such good car thieves, so they ended up having forced absences from the band.  In one of their TV appearances the bassist is wielding a Gibson Thunderbird. Not a bass I would have associated with their style. Probably had done deal with Gibson. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/05/2019 at 18:12, Hobbayne said:

Played Setting Sons today for the first time in years.

Bruce is on form with this cracking bass line.

 

Quality, had almost forgotten that track, and yes, Bruce def on fine form.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't really post them here or I wouldn't have forgotten about them.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One I've recently rediscovered is Lovely Day by Bill Withers. One of those songs that instantly lift your mood and also a great bass line

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

'Sinking' by The Cure

It is indeed the same repeated figures, but there's something about those 10 or so notes in the verse that just work so well with the mood of the song.

Rather good love version too.

Edited by ahpook

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...