Why become a member? ×

Great bass lines you’ve forgotten about.

Listening to the radio the other day, they played a track in connection with the forthcoming bio-pic about Elton John. It was of course “Rocket Man” which I haven’t listened to in decades. I was knocked out by the excellent bass line which is a real feature of the song and it started me thinking ( always dangerous) about other songs that have long since passed from memory which have really good bass lines. Any suggestions?

15 minutes ago, Unknown_User said:

The William Shatner version of Rocket Man has to be the definitive interpretation for me!

Shame his range of ladies underwear didn't take  off, Shatner knickers was never going to work 🤣

• Haha 3

Played Talking Heads Fear of Music in the car this morn, paying more attention to the bass than usual.  Tina Weymouth plays some lovely lines throughout, inventive and melodic and right on the money esp on  Paper, Cities and Animals.

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Grahambythesea said:

Listening to the radio the other day, they played a track in connection with the forthcoming bio-pic about Elton John. It was of course “Rocket Man” which I haven’t listened to in decades. I was knocked out by the excellent bass line which is a real feature of the song and it started me thinking ( always dangerous) about other songs that have long since passed from memory which have really good bass lines. Any suggestions?

"Oliver's Army" with Bruce Thomas on bass. Amazingly strong and melodic bass lines.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/05/2019 at 15:17, TheGreek said:

I forget how good "Badge" is till I hear it again...

I'm sure there were people at the time thinking "that boy's got potential"...they were right.

Another great choice, but then Jack never played a bad bass line.  And he sang at the same time.

Good one @gs_triumph . All Four Seasons songs had really strong backings. The original band were great musicians but not such good car thieves, so they ended up having forced absences from the band.  In one of their TV appearances the bassist is wielding a Gibson Thunderbird. Not a bass I would have associated with their style. Probably had done deal with Gibson. 

On 27/05/2019 at 18:12, Hobbayne said:

Played Setting Sons today for the first time in years.

Bruce is on form with this cracking bass line.

Quality, had almost forgotten that track, and yes, Bruce def on fine form.

'Sinking' by The Cure

It is indeed the same repeated figures, but there's something about those 10 or so notes in the verse that just work so well with the mood of the song.

Rather good love version too.

Edited by ahpook