Why become a member? ×

Where did we all start this journey from?

I started on guitar, had a Les Paul copy and a Carlsbro Stingray. Then a few of us started a band at uni, and I became the de facto bassist. At the time, Fender Soundhouse had just had a fire and Hayman had gone bust, so they were selling off parts of instruments, and I used all my money (£75) to buy all the component parts of a Hayman 40/40 and assembled them. The Carlsbro Stingray then got fitted out with a pair of bass drivers, and I used that for a few years (even got borrowed by Jeff Hateley of Wolfsbane at one point). Eventually I got a Laney 150W amp and Ohm 15" cab, but that was years later. I do have photos which I may eventually scan in.

• Like 1

Great thread!

First bass was a Westone Thunder 1A borrowed from College.

First owned bass Ibanez Blazer bass. 

First bass amp? Gotta think about that...

Probably a god-awful Marshall 100w Guitar & Bass head. I think I paired it with a Peavey Black Widow cab.

What's annoying is my first bass could have been my dad's '62 P, that was resprayed "Salmon Pink" before being sent to the dealer, and his custom made 50w valve amp and homemade 2x18" cab.

He paid about £150(predecimal) for the bass from George Clay's in Brum, then sold it 10 years later for £75(decimal)

Why did he sell it? Because he hadn't used it for about a year and he needed the cash. 

Why did he need the cash? Because I was about to be born!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, bartelby said:

What's annoying is my first bass could have been my dad's '62 P, that was resprayed "Salmon Pink" before being sent to the dealer, and his custom made 50w valve amp and homemade 2x18" cab.

He paid about £150(predecimal) for the bass from George Clay's in Brum, then sold it 10 years later for £75(decimal)

Why did he sell it? Because he hadn't used it for about a year and he needed the cash. 

Why did he need the cash? Because I was about to be born!

Now there's a guilt trip for you :laugh1:

12 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Now there's a guilt trip for you :laugh1:

Fortunately he’s never used it against me.

but he has used the fact that he had to sell his Cortina GT just before my sister was born, 2 years earlier, against her...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bartelby said:

Fortunately he’s never used it against me.

but he has used the fact that he had to sell his Cortina GT just before my sister was born, 2 years earlier, against her...

He's never used it in front of you but secretly and behind your back he'll be cursing you :laugh1::laugh1::laugh1:

On 17/05/2019 at 10:55, nightsun said:

I bought this old thing from a music shop in Chelmsford (the name escapes me) in 1989 so I didn't deafen my family while practising, still got it in a cupboard somewhere.

LFAwaidTalV79silJh0Cx2JBCinZfpEbJtr-URBgb9PlBQn_DlTkcEs_8l3dd6mlcos_fmwFnQzip9Ify9CtpX9QPOCjI3122s9xrqAnG8Fu5pqrfaAH4ioXszYZl-nHNf__Py6fh4OBnUJz03gTGxB1DZRVWYhMFLBEb_0hbnKLlSSQgJLttIRtu8reH8Z7cGQWDS7NwH-gc510xGRcxWPN-BIRECJhiaoiVLDEsmRYrUvUYAhnDGw5l64V-h-5d9Fibh011QzQwfkS-otVKBzUjgm4LHkbtBxiiPPANOIBZl-B3hkfranOOL6hQloiCaPETC9Y_BQEbbNfj6xXhPiUqO2y-oqvtkI4XF_9sAwQnQqZRpK4seEOrQUXFRj8JBWnrgit5RWLmut2NctO9ZSQ8w1j3yaY5fObn4-mUzIt5K65W4MQGmX3wLidCcRfXvB3lJSqRl9Uax_L4-Ivd3pe3I3Q7kgXGhZzbtmB9smVQtvP-XihKeBLiuJFa0JJpc8VZO2BBWPcIcFvTsd52ZwIEKWvFtb517hsLYUjhfgfpTiJ7or6vkA88A5-Dr34VQ4DRfRYQ_4PsL5nRZjoxBc8cETi4772SJpW0rm98hxUo6gqKMI9uHuTBwP6F4PP3bkvD7peo8BbER0otdHMp6drtL_9LoT2=w711-h947-no

First electric was a no name solid pine lefty precision copy, given to me by a family friend.  Strung upside down it did the job but weighted the same as a small car (no pictures exists). This I paired with a dodgy old PA system I found at a jumble sale...only the best gear for me.  Unfortunately I lent it to a friend who promptly disappeared and it was never seen again, still pisses me off to this day.

Care to sell it on ? James dace perhaps, on moulsham street. I was always in there 

Started with crap nylon acoustic which I put steel strings one and more or less pulled itself apart.

Then a Kay KT-2 'SG' I still have, cheap as chips but curiously nice to play and hear. I sued to use with with an amp made out of an old valve record player, overdriven by diasy chaining a fuzz box that was a tube amp built into a case. I was well ahead of the tube preamp curve back in about 1980!

About 1984 a mate lent me his red sunburst Fender Precision; I also got to play with a Mustang for a day.

Not too long after I got myself a Hohner Jazz bass and a very useless 50W Sound City SC50B combo which I used for (I think) just one gig before chopping it up to be a monitor wedge and separate amp.

11790022_DrasticAction005.thumb.jpg.8ff5571e4b5bec9c60926a8f28d6e0a4.jpg

Upgraded to a Laney Pro-Bass amp and a single 18"(!) in a cab about the size of a washing machine (I had a Cortina estate by then) and added a Hohner B2 and Maya fretless to my collection.

244170443_DrasticAction002.thumb.jpg.bf8013d92dbaba2e8c684b71acf1a899.jpg

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 1

I started off in 1982 with a '65 Höfner Artist II and Goodmans 1x15 cab bought from my metalword teacher and a 15w amp made with the help of my physics teacher. It all sounded dreadful but it was a start. I still have the bass :)

After leaving school, I graduated to a Columbus Jazz**, Phoenix PHA-1 amp and a Sound City 4x12 cab. Weighed a ton but I was finally audible. Used this combination until '86 when my wonderful parents bought me a Laney Pro-Bass 4x10 combo for my 21st. I will never forget the sheer joy and excitement of driving up to Tempo Soundhouse in Hanwell to collect it. Shortly after that, a mate tipped me off that Hamer's Music in Reading had a Wal hanging on the wall for £330... yup, I still have it :D. The Laney served me faithfully and faultlessly for many years, eventually replaced by a Carlsbro Delta rig (not my wisest move).

** this was stolen by a supposed friend to whom I lent it and who promptly moved out of town leaving neither forwarding address nor bass behind. If you're reading this, Mike Haigh, you're a weasel-faced thieving dopehead **** and I'd like my bass back please.

Edited by Rich
  • Like 1