Why become a member? ×

The 'old' West End

Stingray5

I bought my Stratocaster from Take Five in 1969. Very nice chap in there. Not at all scarey for an ignorant 16 year old unlike almost everywhere else. I remember Orange as being not in New Compton Street but in a small street off Charing Cross Road that isn't there anymore. Macari's is now on the corner of it but it isn't a 'through' street anymore. My memories of Orange can be taken with a pinch of salt however as I regularly forget my own name these days...Hahahahaha

I remember Shaftesbury Avenue best with Take Five, Sound City and Drum City and Rose Morris (I think). I have an idea that apart from Orange (just off) Charing Cross Road itself had Macari's and Selmers. Imagine how many pics there'd be if folk had digital cameras then. Heigh ho!

• 1 year later...
On 10/09/2020 at 17:38, Happy Jack said:

More to the point, you've revived a thread last seen nearly 12 years ago!

Just spent 20 mins re reading. That was a pleasant walk down memory lane!

Happy days, so full of potential. Sadly, mostly not realised!

• Like 2

On 16/12/2008 at 11:29, chris_b said:

I brought my Precision Delux at Peter Cook's shop in about 1985. Peter used to make Ned Callan guitars.
Another out of town music shop was Maurice Placquet's in Acton.

I got a Ricky 3001 stereo in black n white with edge binding from Placquets, didn't get on with it so took a Gibson Lesp Paul bass which I later had Richard Knight's workshop make a long scale neck for. It was a perfect job by Richard ad his nephew.

I got them to put an inlay bass clef at the 12th fret......sold it many years later....ANYONE GOT IT NOW? 

• 4 weeks later...
On 15/12/2008 at 19:44, lonestar said:

Me too. ca 1975-78
Awayday ticket to Charing Cross for 25p. burger from Wimpy and cruise up and down Shaftesbury Avenue/ Tottenham Court Rd and Denmark St.
I remember all the shops you mention plus the sheet music/ songbook shop upstairs on Shaftesbury avenue.
I used to go with my mate Ian who was also 14/15 years old and was never treated snottily or refused a go whether it was a Rick 4001 or a Les Paul. Try that with the clowns that work Tin Pan alley and the B**tard cellar now.
I really liked Macaris who I think had 2 shops at one time?
I bought my HH VS amp there and sold it back to them several years later for the £100 I paid for it.
Aah nostalgia.....It ain't wot it used to be.

Mike

The sheet music / songbook shop on the 2nd Floor of 70 Shaftesbury Avenue was called Musique Boutique and was run by my late-husband Trevor Byfield (owned by Freddie Byfield, a former pianist to Elaine Cordet). Sadly, it was bought out by Bob Wise's Music Sales Group and subsequently closed down in 1983. They used to ship sheet music and songbooks all over the world from their tiny little outlet. Also, to jog some people's memory, there was 'Shady Mike's' record store downstairs in a lean-to in St Anne's Court, Soho opposite Trident Studios (actually called 'Shades' and owned by Mike Shannon), where you could find every heavy metal record imaginable amongst completely blackened surroundings, with volumes befitting their genre - those were indeed the days...

Sue

• Like 3