Why become a member? ×

Flog it! Are a disgrace

Quilly

Saw an elderly couple part ways with a pre-cbs 1964 fender jaguar for £1050 quid. It was their sons and the auctioneer told them to put a reserve of £400 on it. Naturally they were thrilled but then were completely robbed. I though it was really bad form of the Beeb.

• Sad 3

Watch it occassionally when nothing else on and its pissin down outside but you always take a risk at any auction.

They really should have taken it to a musical equipment auction if they wanted a better price.

Dave

It's all about ratings. Beeb are the same as ITV making Kyle and these home make-over shows. It's got absolutely NOTHING to do with "helping" members of the public. It's all about doing a show that gets ratings and filling time between the ads and the News. Even Ebay is more likely to get a more true price for the bass, but it's not going to get the viewers excited, they'd rather see all the family "silver" go in a sale room with hands going up and hammers and such.

• Like 1

Considering the guy that presents it, Paul Martin, was a session drummer who'd worked with the Average white band and Dogs D'amour,  and still plays apparently , you'd think he'd be a little more savvy on vintage instrument prices. Fair enough, he's a drummer, but you'd imagine he'd at least suggest a valuation from someone in the know so to speak.

Edited by leschirons
Left something out.
  • Like 2

No, @leschirons, his loyalty is bought and paid for with about £10k per show. The production company wouldn't be excited about following him around the country on a wild goose chase for a price for "some old guitar". After all, it's not like it was played by Brian May. Plus its not even got 6 strings!

Just look how often the bass player is on camera on music shows. Often they even show the lead guitar when the bass is playing a solo! Sorry, I'm very cynical about TV.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, pete.young said:

I haven't seen the program but if it was a pre-CBS Jaguar, it was a 6-string guitar. The bass didn't come along until much later, early 2000s? and originated in Japan.

Yes it was a guitar 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, pete.young said:

I haven't seen the program but if it was a pre-CBS Jaguar, it was a 6-string guitar. The bass didn't come along until much later, early 2000s? and originated in Japan.

47 minutes ago, Quilly said:

Yes it was a guitar 

Sorry, i have to confess to having not see the program either.  I'm just being a cynic

2 hours ago, leschirons said:

Considering the guy that presents it, Paul Martin, was a session drummer who'd worked with the Average white band and Dogs D'amour,  and still plays apparently , you'd think he'd be a little more savvy on vintage instrument prices. Fair enough, he's a drummer, but you'd imagine he'd at least suggest a valuation from someone in the know so to speak.

Paul Martin is one of those people tht you watch on TV and wonder how he ever got a job presenting.  I hope he's more talented as a musician than he is as a personality.

Caveat vendor. Whilst the Beeb isn't out to do Joe and Janet Public any favours, people only have themselves to blame if they don't get a proper appraisal on any musical instrument, painting, etc before selling it. You don't have to be Einstein to work out that an auction room full of furniture and bric a brac collectors in Stow on the Wold isn't the best place in the world to sell an electric guitar...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

I have friends that work on bargain hunt, I pointed out once that the logic of the show makes no sense, buy from a shop or fayre at full retail price then put it into a random auction to try and get more for it than they paid in the shop! 

TV? Logic? Sense? 🤔

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Quilly said:

Well I complained anyway to the BBC like an old busybody 👨‍🦳 anyway. You never know. Put on the guilt trip 🤣🤣

Good on you, the advice given was poor to say the least. Yes the sellers could have done some research but I’m sure that’s what they thought they were getting from that auctioneer.

• Like 1

Its the luck of the draw when you put something in an auction. All depends on who's there buying. Based on what's been said i would have expected the reserve to be higher. They have a lot of behind the scenes evaluators before people go on camera to sell or auction it.

I once complained to the BBC but they simply fluffed a response to me with no facts or real evidence. For me BBC is simply an untrustworthy company that i do try and avoid as much as possible but sometimes there's nowt else on :dash1: