Why become a member? ×

Bright flats - cobalts, chromes, what...?

Soledad

I know there are plenty of string threads but I'm confused by the whole thing now. SO> Precision, flats but crunch on top (in the high mid/lo T area).
I think I might need EB Cobalts or D'Addario chromes - but with an open brief for a bright flat of lowish tension - I found the Fender flats too high tension and I think I got the 45-100s - ooh!. Didn't like the Fenders as they were just thump, not much mid - pure Jamerson I guess.

I liked the sound Sibob was getting off his LaBellas (on that P/Lakland demo he did). Tried half-rounds a bit ago, didn't get the point of those at all.

But think lightish n brightish - help appreciated.

11 minutes ago, franzbassist said:

Try standard gauge (760T) white nylon flats by La Bella. Meaty to dig in on, a very nice top end, and low tension too.  Some people find them too floppy, but if it's between that and regular steel core flats there's no contest for me.

I've got a set of Copper White Nylons on my Yamaha BB right now and I'm liking the smooth feel and the tone. 

Such an expensive experiment are bass strings.

• Like 2

Excellent, thanks all.

10 hours ago, franzbassist said:

Try standard gauge (760T) white nylon flats by La Bella.

Know those well - use them on the fretless and absolutely ace on there, but I'm needing metal on the P, if you know what I mean... a harder bottom end. But the 760s are by far the best I've ever tried for my fretless.

10 hours ago, ped said:

Here are my Cobalt flats in lightest gauge.

That's it Ped, I reckon. Is the first 24" just muting, it kicks in around 24. And what effects/processing in there?
Super Slinky 45-100?? And what is the tension like? I assume I don't run them thru-body? No more questions :)

9 hours ago, Beer of the Bass said:

TI Jazz flatwounds might get you there

I'll do some research, but the cobalts are probably my best first shot.

Actually one more question, they do Extra Slinky 40-95. Given flats seem higher tension than rounds maybe these?

Edited by Soledad

Aye the first bit is muted. No effects on main bass kick but there’s a second track with some envelope filter and a third track with some bass fuzz. The strings are 40-95 which is the same gauge I use in roundwounds so they feel very nice to play. Tension is low, very supple. I don’t think anyone else does flats in such a light gauge. 

• Thanks 1

@ped - just ordered a set of EBs - gone for the 45-100 for starters as I do like a certain tightness in them, mainly the E, and seeing as they call them super-slinky I'm hoping tension is lightish to moderate. Not like the Fender set I have cos they are brutes!
Will report back. Thanks for advice, help 👍

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Soledad said:

@ped - just ordered a set of EBs - gone for the 45-100 for starters as I do like a certain tightness in them, mainly the E, and seeing as they call them super-slinky I'm hoping tension is lightish to moderate. Not like the Fender set I have cos they are brutes!
Will report back. Thanks for advice, help 👍

Great let us know how you like them. I think they’re great strings. 

Arrived 1 day from Strings Direct. A reminder these are the 45-100s. Checked on here (old threads) and decided to string through body. These cobalts feel very compliant, flex happily, and generally it seems many here string flats through with no probs.
Bit OCD but tidy how the silk wraps all start just past the nut and almost in line... tidy that (see pic).

First very quick impressions - the tension is about what I was looking for, more than equivalent rounds but not loads more and I wanted the tighter feel and sound on these (compared to my usual D'addario 45-100 rounds).
Boy are these bright - very crunchy/cracky on top - turned the cab HF down, cut treble on head a tads. Very slight lift on lowish mids, bass flat (all on a Tone Hammer 350 through TC 212). Tight firm bass, plenty of top to play with but it's easy to control and will mellow off with use for sure anyway.
They felt a tiny bit sticky, I mean not super-slippy not actually gluey. I think that's a newness, these need playing in.

Dead pleased with these, they suit the P really well and will probably last way longer than I keep rounds on (typically 2 - 3 months, depends).

In summary I'd say if you want to venture into flats but not go all out dead n thumpy, want to retain some (quite a lot) of the crunchy top of rounds - this is a very good place to start indeed. Bottom and low mids way more solid, top very forward but never as ringy as rounds of course.

Thanks all above for guidance - at £45 a set it's nice to get it right first shot👍 

EB.jpg

• Like 4

I picked up a lightly played set second hand, cut for 2 + 2 and strung my Kasuga 4001 "Tribute" with them - really pleased with the results and for only £15. With flats on my P aswell, it feels alien to use my M/M with rounds on now. May have to get a set put on that next. Anyone got a set cut for 3 + 1 haha!!!

@Paddy515 - without knowing how many basses you run, I plan to keep rounds on my Jazz, the flats on the P - but having rounds on one seems handy to me. I might change my ideas on that after some time with these EB Cobalts but I do particularly liike rounds ( + pick) for some things.
Reminds me to go through my stash of unloved / preloved strings and offer them up - blown a packet on strings over the past few months !!

btw, I really wish more makers would publish tension figures - D'Addario are the only ones to my knowledge and it is basic useful info.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...