Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot GP12 SMX

jimbartlett

I've got the 250 version - never needed more yet! In fact I often use an AH150 for pub gigs it doesn't even break a sweat. I use very similar settings to the OP with a P-bass and it always makes me smile.

I can't believe that no one has 3d printed a bunch of these slider caps yet - you could sell them at a profit and still undercut the import price.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ahpook said:

I would, but I don't have a TE head to size up and test on.

Oh rats, I know where this is going....

:)

Only one way. Purely in the interest of science. You owe it to science. TO SCIENCE 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, stewblack said:

Only one way. Purely in the interest of science. You owe it to science. TO SCIENCE 

Well, if it's in the interests of Science..... :D

I had a 150w GP7 for many years, only moved on as a buddy sold me his Ampeg SVP-Pro preamp.

1 hour ago, whizzzy said:

Slider caps you can adapt the covers used for miniature toggle switches - https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/toggle-switch-caps/8431985/

They need to be trimmed down in height but they can usually push onto the slider shaft. 

Still haven't found an easy source for the square push switch buttons though!

Just placed an order, thanks 

13 hours ago, whizzzy said:

Slider caps you can adapt the covers used for miniature toggle switches - https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/toggle-switch-caps/8431985/

They need to be trimmed down in height but they can usually push onto the slider shaft. 

Still haven't found an easy source for the square push switch buttons though!

Square push buttons are as rare as hens teeth! I’ve emailed a few companies but no luck.

16 minutes ago, jimbartlett said:

Square push buttons are as rare as hens teeth! I’ve emailed a few companies but no luck.

You find any you'll be my hero. I did discover that my old footswitch from a different amp will operate the mid scoop and graphic switches so I'm not endlessly reminded of their absence, but still... 

I think those switches can be replaced with something similar/functional but not identical easily enough... I'm sure I read something about that on here? Like you mention, a two button footswitch wired to a stereo 1/4 jack plug can also change the settings if you need it to (I can't remember if you need latched or unlatched though).

Looking at my collection of TE gear I could probably fully equip two heads with all buttons, slider caps and the little red and green convers for the preamp and output knobs... but the rest would then be naked... it's all good really considering the age of some of this kit - if I'm still around in 30-odd years time I wonder how much of today's gear will still be delivering the goods? Not that I'm running modern lightweight stuff down... I've got a class D micro head etc. as well.

No argument with delivery, little package arrived today. Great service. Unfortunately the caps are a pound each and are not worth close to that. 

Also wrong size, wrong shape, wrong colour. 

The search continues. 

15585369947111820263255283641246.jpg

• Sad 2

I’ve had mine ( 350 ) since new it cost £1450 I was running it with my two Markbass cabs 4-10 and 2-10 I’ve only just got a new cover from rock solid as the original finally give up the ghost, it’s still in mint condition,I’ve recently got myself  a Gallien Kruger fusion 800 w head and am now using two Vanderkley 2-10 cabs which sound awesome and can’t wait to pair them up with the Trace head ,

• Like 1

Finally worked up to owning the 350W version built into a 1x15" combo -  paid £800 in 1997 and was very chuffed indeed.

+ VERY loud, VERY punchy, HP filter in the effects loop  

- AWFUL heavy, noisy fan and sounded dreadful with a double bass. 

So adjustable and tweakable though, and therein was another problem; spent so long "tuning" my sound with compressors, bass lift, EQ, valve blend and effects loop filter settings .. I rarely practiced any notes!  Ended up cutting some bits of card in the shape of the EQ I wanted for different sounds.  Its modern replacement has just five EQ knobs, which mostly just sit at 12:00, plus gain and volume.

I loved the trace to bits, but it had to go to make way for a replacement I could actually lift - sold for £170 to some bloke from Hungary who was driving around the UK picking up unwanted TE kit (had a van full).  Sad ... I'd still have it but for the space.   A bloke round the corner from me had one too, but had the good sense to extract the amp, bin the speakers and buy some lightweight Ashdown cabs ... and it sounds very good too (he plays rock with a Stingray, I play Jazz with a DB and a fretless Wal ... so horses for courses).

That little ELF and the new tiny TE cabs are just ... not ... the same.

Edited by NickA
edit

On 16/05/2019 at 18:04, jimbartlett said:

Wow!!! Fat, warm and an abundance of heft. It makes a big difference whacking the Input Gain up as much as possible too, the Trace seems to respond well to that.

Official Trace Elliot procedure is to turn volume to low, play a loud passage and raise input gain until the overload light comes on, then back off one click. Adjust EQ and repeat.

The idea is to get the maximum signal to noise ratio.

Unlike the vast majority of amps, it really is a gain control, not a volume control:

image.thumb.png.52f301a9044f152489c68e5fa19f2e73.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Official Trace Elliot procedure is to turn volume to low, play a loud passage and raise input gain until the overload light comes on, then back off one click. Adjust EQ and repeat.

The idea is to get the maximum signal to noise ratio.

Unlike the vast majority of amps, it really is a gain control, not a volume control:

image.thumb.png.52f301a9044f152489c68e5fa19f2e73.png

You are dead right with this. The Gain is really important on this amp. I played Saturday and Sunday with the SMX through an Ashdown 1x15. Awesome 😎 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jimbartlett said:

You are dead right with this. The Gain is really important on this amp. 

It certainly is. I remember getting questioning comments from people when they saw how high the input gain was set, but that's how it should be on a Trace.