Why become a member? ×

NBD - Well this wasn't in the plan

stewblack

When clearing my old heavy gear to make space after a drastic and unplanned downsizing I realised no Basschatter would want what I was ditching. Too old too heavy and I needed room immediately. 

So down to our local 2nd hand shop it went. Someone else storing it for me, no delivery or postage hassle, seemed to make sense. 

Not much use for a quick sale as stuff has to sit there awaiting the ideal buyer to wander in but out of my way. 

Popped today amazed to find a couple of cabs had gone. One I can't for the life of me even remember owning! So of course I pocketed the cash minus the guy's commission and invested it wisely. 

Did I bo||ock$. 

I turned my cow into magic beans there and then..... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

As a happy Chowny devotee, I've never seen one of these before and given the similarity to a well known litigious US manufacturer with 'R' at the start of their name, it is maybe not surprising they were not advertised widely. It would nevertheless be interesting to know a bit more about them. Doubtless Mr C could clarify? 

Edited by yorks5stringer

8 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

As a happy Chowny devotee, I've never seen one of these before and given the similarity to a well known litigious US manufacturer with 'R' at the start of their name, it is maybe not surprising they were not advertised widely. It would nevertheless be interesting to know a bit more about them. Doubtless Mr C could clarify? 

Ofr course I am merely going on the say so of the guy I brought it from who said it's made by the guy who makes that one (pointing at the gorgeous semi acoustic) which had Chowny written on it. I played it, briefly, through a guitar amp but knew almost instantly it was coming with me.

15 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Well, I wouldn't want anyone thinking it was a counterfeit

I can't work out whether that's a good or bad thing. 😉

I never intended to start a fight in a phone box. All I meant was - It looks fabulous.

I'd like to try one (or perhaps an Epiphone semi) some day. 👍

Edited by Ricky 4000
  • Like 1

never intended to start a fight in a phone box. All I meant was - It looks fabulous.

I'd like to try one (or perhaps an Epiphone semi) some day.

I agree with you actually. I'd love to source a more Ric tail piece but who knows where one would find such things? Anyway next time I'm over the bridge I'll bring it with me, I often visit family in Tintern, I'll pm you and you can have a bash.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Meddle said:

Chowny might have put their name on it, but it is the same 4005 copy you get on Aliexpress. From memory David Konig imported this bass into the UK for investigative purposes, but sold it on Facebook via the Retrovibe page as he didn't have the time to work on it. I like the red!

Interesting. I didn't want the hassle of importing via Ali Express so I was glad to find this in my local shop. Didn't know Chowney  made basses for Ali Express. Verily Basschat is a font of knowledge. 

🤓

• Like 1

They are built by us. All the basses we make are our own designs. We use production facilities in India. 

We do not sell anything on Aliexpress. Although I believe there are some fakes of our stuff around now. 

We sell on our own website, and via some retailers in the UK (Bass Direct, Bass Gallery, Andertons and Gear4Music)

We at Chowny make the Vantage basses but that’s as close as you’ll get to a 4005 with us. 

David @ Retrovibe does make small numbers of these in China from time to time. But not through us. 

Hope that all makes sense. 

• Like 1

On 16/05/2019 at 21:43, Ricky 4000 said:

Your "R" is more like a cartoon "R".

Expect to be sued by Toys 'R' Us...

Just now, Meddle said:

You guys commission shadow builders to produce them to your designs, specs and price points, right? David doesn't fly to China to personally break out the chisels and spokeshaves.

In a global economy what's the difference between guys in a factory in China/India making it for you and guys in a factory in Englandmaking it for you (except price)?

11 hours ago, Chownybass said:

They are built by us. All the basses we make are our own designs. We use production facilities in India. 

We do not sell anything on Aliexpress. Although I believe there are some fakes of our stuff around now. 

We sell on our own website, and via some retailers in the UK (Bass Direct, Bass Gallery, Andertons and Gear4Music)

We at Chowny make the Vantage basses but that’s as close as you’ll get to a 4005 with us. 

David @ Retrovibe does make small numbers of these in China from time to time. But not through us. 

Hope that all makes sense. 

Thank you! I'm none the wiser as to where mine originated but it's lovely to look at and once I've played it in and set it up to my tastes it'll be a keeper! 

• Like 1