Why become a member? ×

Decal DIY?

Danuman

Hey all,

I’m looking into making decals for a bitsa. I might like one of those shiny chrome ones that are on some Fender models, but I have no idea if that’s feasible. I’m guessing it’s some sort of adhesive covered with a few layers of lacquer. Are there any businesses out there that might be able help out with a custom order?

Also, I’m based in the Amsterdam area, which could be important.

Thanks for reading!

Dan

On 16/05/2019 at 15:38, Danuman said:

Hey all,

I’m looking into making decals for a bitsa. I might like one of those shiny chrome ones that are on some Fender models, but I have no idea if that’s feasible. I’m guessing it’s some sort of adhesive covered with a few layers of lacquer. Are there any businesses out there that might be able help out with a custom order?

Also, I’m based in the Amsterdam area, which could be important.

Thanks for reading!

Dan

Stickers would be easier to get in chrome, i would assume, but stickers tend be quite thick, and you're going to have to use a lot of lacquer to hide the ages.

Waterslide decals are very thin by comparison ( and easily torn ) but also the edges are easily hidden by lacquer. Not sure if waterslide decals can be made in chrome

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, fleabag said:

Stickers would be easier to get in chrome, i would assume, but stickers tend be quite thick, and you're going to have to use a lot of lacquer to hide the ages.

I thought as much. I was hoping there might be some sort of material available for such purposes...

But you’re right; if it means weeks of spraying and curing and sanding and buffing... I’d rather spend the time playing it! 😅

• Like 1