Why become a member? ×

Gig to prepare for in 9 days time

markdavid

Excllent news. Hope you enjoyed it.

With such short notice i would expect to hear a few mistakes within the band. Unless its an absolute howler then more than likely the audience will never know.

Chuffed for you sir.

Dave

32 minutes ago, markdavid said:

No not being rude at all.

Thankfully we cut the set list to 20 songs

The first half of the gig went well, almost flawless.

The second half was mostly ok but a few bum notes, mostly in the song that I anticipated that there would be (tried to get the singer to axe that song but he won't) , thankfully none of the audience seemed to notice and we received a few compliments afterwards.

All in all I consider it to be a minor success and hopefully we will play tighter on the next gig.

Well done!👏

From your description it sounds like more than a "minor success", most of us would be very happy to have a night like you had.Your future looks good...you will be much more relaxed and have some real fun next time!😊

Edited by Staggering on

11 hours ago, markdavid said:

No not being rude at all.

Thankfully we cut the set list to 20 songs

The first half of the gig went well, almost flawless.

The second half was mostly ok but a few bum notes, mostly in the song that I anticipated that there would be (tried to get the singer to axe that song but he won't) , thankfully none of the audience seemed to notice and we received a few compliments afterwards.

All in all I consider it to be a minor success and hopefully we will play tighter on the next gig.

I'm sure the next gig will be stronger.

Blue

Thanks guys

Am wondering what kind of money we should be asking for gigs, we gave the place that we played at a really good price as it is our first gig (band has not been together that long) and we knew that in all likelihood there would probably be a fair few bum notes played.  For the moment we will be playing pub gigs.  Thanks

On 29/05/2019 at 05:26, markdavid said:

Thanks guys

Am wondering what kind of money we should be asking for gigs, we gave the place that we played at a really good price as it is our first gig (band has not been together that long) and we knew that in all likelihood there would probably be a fair few bum notes played.  For the moment we will be playing pub gigs.  Thanks

From what I've picked up on from you guys ,pub gigs in the UK pay about $300.00.

Blue

7 hours ago, Bluewine said:

From what I've picked up on from you guys ,pub gigs in the UK pay about $300.00.

Blue

Small pubs £200 increasing in amount depending on size of pub or venue or how busy it gets. Some pubs paying £500 but that's rare as far as i know.

Also the style of band can make a difference to what pubs will pay as some genres pul a better audience and pub makes more at the bar.

If you go down the club route its anywhere between £500 and few thousand pounds.

Onto wedding bands and you'll be earning up to £3-£5k for a really good wedding band.

Tried the club and wedding or function band but just not for me. Found it quite boring.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Small pubs £200 increasing in amount depending on size of pub or venue or how busy it gets. Some pubs paying £500 but that's rare as far as i know.

If you go down the club route its anywhere between £500 and few thousand pounds.

Onto wedding bands and you'll be earning up to £3-£5k for a really good wedding band.

Tried the club and wedding or function band but just not for me. Found it quite boring.

Dave

I don't know of any pubs paying anything like £500 on a regular basis. I suppose it should be noted that it also depends on what part of the country you are. 

Some top wedding bands may get the sort of money that you mention, but generally most will be getting about half that...

• Like 1

£500 being quite rare for a pub gig but i know of a few bands that have been doing the rounds a while and getting up to £500 a gig but it really depends on the pub. I'm talking pubs with a seperate lounge laid out for bands with a stage. Still regarded more as a pub but i guess you could call it a venue. Not your crushed into a corner style pub tho.

Dave 

18 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

£500 being quite rare for a pub gig but i know of a few bands that have been doing the rounds a while and getting up to £500 a gig but it really depends on the pub. I'm talking pubs with a seperate lounge laid out for bands with a stage. Still regarded more as a pub but i guess you could call it a venue. Not your crushed into a corner style pub tho.

Dave 

I don't know if you have talked to someone in the pub trade about the economics of putting on gigs in a pub, but I would have thought that the only way even a large pub would make £500 for a band work would be to charge admission on the door. 

IME of course, more affluent parts of the country may be different. 

• Like 1

My band is based in Perth and we cover a radius of roughly 40 miles. The going rate almost every pub we play is £250. There is one exception where the fee is £300, but that is reflected in the price of drinks which could in no way be described as "pub prices".🙄

1 hour ago, peteb said:

I don't know if you have talked to someone in the pub trade about the economics of putting on gigs in a pub, but I would have thought that the only way even a large pub would make £500 for a band work would be to charge admission on the door. 

Think they do charge at the door but still a pub.

• Like 1

I find if you get your head round the song as a listener you're in a good place to then learn it ,I don't read so I have a few idiot notes at key moments to help .My method is bass on ,put song on ,try to follow it .Go away and get to know the song and revisit on bass again .If one song is taking too much time consider dropping it .Easy songs lengthen 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jazzmanb said:

I find if you get your head round the song as a listener you're in a good place to then learn it ,I don't read so I have a few idiot notes at key moments to help .My method is bass on ,put song on ,try to follow it .Go away and get to know the song and revisit on bass again .If one song is taking too much time consider dropping it .Easy songs lengthen 

I do read but i more or less follow the same princible. I like to listen to the song a few times or if i know it already i then play along until i get a feel for it. Then i'll write out the bass part which helps me remember the bassline. If i can i'll also look for bass tab as a quick fix to learning. Get the basics and then fill in the gaps when more time available.

Dave

• Like 1

14 hours ago, peteb said:

Hi Pete,

Agreed, It can happen in the States , however getting a bar owner to part with $500.00 is a tough sell. And were talking about a back breaking 4 hours.

I love the higher profile summer gigs where we can get $500.00 for an hour performance.

Daryl

23 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Hi Pete,

Agreed, It can happen in the States , however getting a bar owner to part with $500.00 is a tough sell. And were talking about a back breaking 4 hours.

I love the higher profile summer gigs where we can get $500.00 for an hour performance.

Daryl

Hey Daryl

The economics of the pub trade in this country mean that even if you could pack the place out, the landlord would still lose money if he paid a band £500 for a pub gig. However, if he could charge on the door then that might be viable, but that is very unusual for most pubs (but not necessarily for clubs and big events, etc).

The higher profile summer events that you are talking about are obviously a completely different type of gig. We already have some of these types of gigs for the Magnum tribute booked in for 2020. However, they are a long drive away (the first one is in Scotland), so I won’t end up making any more money than for a £300 pub gig! I’m still really looking forward to playing them…

4 hours ago, peteb said:

Hey Daryl

The economics of the pub trade in this country mean that even if you could pack the place out, the landlord would still lose money if he paid a band £500 for a pub gig. However, if he could charge on the door then that might be viable, but that is very unusual for most pubs (but not necessarily for clubs and big events, etc).

The higher profile summer events that you are talking about are obviously a completely different type of gig. We already have some of these types of gigs for the Magnum tribute booked in for 2020. However, they are a long drive away (the first one is in Scotland), so I won’t end up making any more money than for a £300 pub gig! I’m still really looking forward to playing them…

Pete that $500.00 from a bar is rare here in the Midwest, it's usually the more upscale bar/restaurants. The Harley Davidson Motor Bar is a good example. The place is pure class .

Agreed, Regardless of the pay, 1 hour large crowd high profile shows are cool no matter what the pay.

We have 2 in July, I just hope we can be entertaining and fun for the crowd, and keep the vibe and energy up for the hour. We haven't rehearsed much but we have several gigs before July we can try the festival set list out on.

We have a " back braking" 4 hour biker bar gig tomorrow, 3:00- 7:00.

Daryl