Why become a member? ×

Zoom B3n Buyers Remorse

Guest MoJo

Guest MoJo

Took delivery of a B3n yesterday and after half an hour, realised that I’d made a mistake. I find it over complicated to program, more so than it’s predecessor, the B3. The effects don’t appear to be any better than the B3 and there seems to be less choice.

Rhythm feature: The notion of adding what is basically a drum machine into the signal chain of patch is a daft idea. Why not have the rhythm section as a stand-alone feature?

My intended use for the B3n was as a stomp box for live situations with a built in tuner. I will rarely have more than one effect on at a time. I feel as though I should have gone for a used B3 or an MS60B now. 

I’m going to give it a few more days to familiarise myself with the unit but keep an eye on the classifieds. There may be an almost brand new B3n appearing on there very shortly. 

Guest MoJo
20 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

Get a b2.1u 

Easy and fabulous 

I’m wondering if I should have held out for the B1-FourX

Guest MoJo
16 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

If you bought new, return it rather then selling it on.

Good advice. Will probably do that

2 hours ago, MoJo said:

Took delivery of a B3n yesterday and after half an hour, realised that I’d made a mistake. I find it over complicated to program, more so than it’s predecessor, the B3...

Sorry to hear. In terms of programming any of the still in production Zoom multifx's I can't recommend the Tonelib patch editing software highly enough. It's free to download and use and makes creating patches both a doddle and a lot of fun.

You should have 14 days (or 30 days?) before you need to return for a full refund, so hopefully that will give you a chance to see if it is too much for you.

2 hours ago, MoJo said:

I’m wondering if I should have held out for the B1-FourX

I've actually gone for the B1X-4 that you mention, having previously had a B3n which I moved on having got a Helix Stomp - but then have come full circle back to Zoom! The B1X-4s are available to buy now and I'm liking mine a LOT :)  It has the same newer DSP and chipset as the B3n i.e. has been upgraded from the older B3 and MS-60B; but 'only' has 50 patches and not 150 which the B3n offers, but in a much more compact form factor. 

The B3n is a really good piece of kit for live use - its three pedals and three stomp switches give it an edge over the B1X-4's two pedals in that regard, but its larger size means it doesn't quite fit into the pouch of a gig bag so easily!

Edited by Al Krow

To be fair, i have literally just got to grips with mine after a year and a half - its been up for sale about 3 times..! :D I think part of it is there are just so many options! I deleted a load of the presets because they were just distractingly weird - and went on youtube watching lots or 'rig rundowns' and those things where they get the master tape of a song and then show you how they do each bit:

"Oh, that's what an SVT really sounds like? Ok, note to self, never buy one..."

A big difference i found between modellers and other types of effects is that because they're modelling an actual thing, like a "UREI 1176LN" compressor, you have to actually learn how to properly do compression or it sounds pants...!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

BTW. Posting a message in a thread and hoping the Moderators will see it is completely pointless (unless it's in a contentious thread in Off-Topic) as shown by the bass guitar thread that hung about in the Amps section for almost a month before it got moved. If you want a Moderator to move your thread you need to "report" it.

3 hours ago, Geek99 said:

Get a b2.1u 

Easy and fabulous 

Agree whole heartedly... mine is never out of my signal chain... most of the preset patches are very usable too, I especially love one called 'Motown' ... its perfect with a P Bass and flats and injects just the right amount of warmth, punch and sag for that 'old' tone if you like that kinda thing... best 40 quid I ever spent 🙂

Guest MoJo
1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

BTW. Posting a message in a thread and hoping the Moderators will see it is completely pointless (unless it's in a contentious thread in Off-Topic) as shown by the bass guitar thread that hung about in the Amps section for almost a month before it got moved. If you want a Moderator to move your thread you need to "report" it.

Thank you

Edited by MoJo

1 hour ago, Tradfusion said:

Agree whole heartedly... mine is never out of my signal chain... most of the preset patches are very usable too, I especially love one called 'Motown' ... its perfect with a P Bass and flats and injects just the right amount of warmth, punch and sag for that 'old' tone if you like that kinda thing... best 40 quid I ever spent 🙂

Ampeg svt, slight compression and a great big tuck off dose of loud 

7 hours ago, MoJo said:

Rhythm feature: The notion of adding what is basically a drum machine into the signal chain of patch is a daft idea. Why not have the rhythm section as a stand-alone feature?

Totally agree about this. One reason i stopped using my B3n at home and got the B1-ON instead (now replaced by the B1-Four).

It does sound to me like the B3 will be the ideal box out off all the zoom boxes for you though. 3 foot switches that can be used as 3 different on/off effects. You dont need to bother with anything else if you dont want to . This is how i used mien a few times live. No amp sims etc, just 3 stomp boxes, one per switch, and the ability to mute and use the tuner.

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

Totally agree about this. One reason i stopped using my B3n at home and got the B1-ON instead (now replaced by the B1-Four).

+1 ^^ about being a little weird incorporating drums into bass effects patches. It's probably why I never used the drums on the B3n, whereas having access by just pressing a dedicated drum button on the B1X-4 is much more handy. 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

+1 ^^ about being a little weird incorporating drums into bass effects patches. It's probably why I never used the drums on the B3n, whereas having access by just pressing a dedicated drum button on the B1X-4 is much more handy. 

Agree, although i guess the other side of the coin is you wont accidentally start up a Bossa nova rhythm in the middle of Superstition by hitting the wrong button on the B3n lol

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, songofthewind said:

I like the B3n very much, but I agree about the daftness of the drum machine and looper thing being  part of a patch. 

Yup separate buttons for both of those on the B1-4. Clearly Zoom seem have taken on board feedback on this point, which is good. 

Either that or, as Dave suggested, they think getting stuck in Bossa nova loops mid gig is very funny. 

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

. Either that or, as Dave suggested, they think getting stuck in Bossa nova loops mid gig is very funny. 

Well lets be honest, it would be very, very funny if it happened 🙂

We auditioned a keyboard player last year who used two large Casio keyboards. The sounds and playing were great, but quite often we would finish a song and hear his auto accompaniment section playing. It got very annoying.

different strokes for certain.  I had both the B3 and B3n and wound up selling the B3 in favor of the extra switches and IMO improved drive, amp, and cab sim models on the B3n. I did enjoy the B3 and gigged with it for a few years, but there were certain things about it that I couldn't get past. Operationally, the 3 button format drove me crazy for navigating sounds on the fly. And I couldn't for the life of me find a drive/distortion that I liked on the B3.

The B3n allows me to navigate pretty easily across (up to) 7 individual effect blocks to switch on/off in Stompbox mode. No can do on the B3.

That's just me, though....

• Like 1