Why become a member? ×

Hohner B2A high action

Hammock

Hello, 

I have some high action problems with a Hohner B2A. The saddles are set to the deck and I have still 1/8 on E at 17th fret. I usually go for 5/64 on that E. Any suggestions on how to reach a lower action? The truss rod is working fine. The measures above is when the relief is 12 thou at 7th fret pressing down 1st and 17th fret. It's the normal setup for me. It's a neck thru (and it has a little hump at the last frets. But that's another problem. 

Cheers

Not an easy one..

I've a B2a 5string, and I'm assuming the  bridge hardware is similar...

The bridge saddles are big, square blocks. The factor governing the height of the lowest action is the thickness of those saddles.

I reckon you could either file the slots deeper, but they're a  particular shape with an edge for the strings to break over, so that's difficult to preserve.

I'd be inclined to file down the bottom of the saddle blocks so they sit lower. If you were to do that, you'd have to clean out the grub screw threads AND try to refinish the underside of the saddle back to its original black.

Hope this helps a bit..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Not an easy one..

I've a B2a 5string, and I'm assuming the  bridge hardware is similar...

The bridge saddles are big, square blocks. The factor governing the height of the lowest action is the thickness of those saddles.

I reckon you could either file the slots deeper, but they're a  particular shape with an edge for the strings to break over, so that's difficult to preserve.

I'd be inclined to file down the bottom of the saddle blocks so they sit lower. If you were to do that, you'd have to clean out the grub screw threads AND try to refinish the underside of the saddle back to its original black.

Hope this helps a bit..

Hi, 

thank you for your answer. I was thinking in those terms also. I think I will order new ones to file down. That shouldn't be so hard to do actually. I don't recall that the square blocks on this bass is black. But that's an easy one also. I guess thats the best solution. Next up will be to get rid of the high frets. 

Do you know any good place to get spares for the Hohner? 

Thanks for answering.  

If it’s only the underside of the saddles, that should work fine, as long as the height adjustment grubs screws are still working.  

Ebay is probably a good place to start, or a call to Hohner.  I think the same bridge is used on a few different versions (Spirit etc) so shouldn’t be too hard to find. 

• Thanks 1

On 16/05/2019 at 14:04, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Looks promising.

Let us know what you decide to do and how you fare with the modifications..

Edit- wow! At those prices I might break mine for spares! 😂

Do you own a B2A? Can I buy it? ;)

On 15/05/2019 at 21:24, Hammock said:

Do you know any good place to get spares for the Hohner?

If it's bridge/tuner parts you're looking for, I think these are an exact copy of the Steinberger licensed units used by Hohner. Little bit cheaper too.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-4-String-Electric-Bass-Tailpiece-Bridge-System-for-Headless-Bass-Accs/282265918865