Why become a member? ×

New buy...Sire V7 Ash/Maple/White? 4 str

Rickylee

Hi,  got my new sire V7 bass last week. Sounds great!

I'm a Fender/Alder man really. Have a few jazz basses and a few Precision basses all Alder as I do like the tone.

I do find it hard to cut through the band sometimes and have some definition, clarity in the sound. So, thought I would try

an Ash bass for a change. They are a tighter and more punchy in the lower mids as I hear it.

Not played with the band yet with it, but, sounds very nice and funky at home.

Just wondered if any you guys have thoughts, experience on the alder/ash comparison and choice.

cheers

Ricky

Just this morning I was listening to recordings of a gig I did last summer where I mostly played a Sire Vintage V7 fiver with Ash/ maple and switched to a Mexican Fender alder/ rosewood for one or two songs. The Sire reminded me why I loved it the moment I got it, really articulate bass. I used to keep the EQ and pickup pan almost flat and kill the EQ on my amp because the natural sound was so good. I did find the Fender sound a bit more rich and nuanced, but it did have Bartolini pickups so it wasn't a stock 90's MIM. It would be hard to choose between the two with a metaphorical gun to my head because they do ever so slightly different things. 

For the record, when I bought a USA Stingray I sold them both! Couldn't justify the number of basses and needed to recover some cash. I do miss a bit of that single coil jazz bridge sound though. 

I too am an alder jazz bass fan and my main jazz is a alder body maple neck fender

i also bought an ash\maple sire v7 as i love the tone and wanted to cut through the mix more in my fusion band which it does admirably ,the only drawback for me was the weight so i now use it more in the studio and have another ash/maple fender [which is a fair bit lighter] for live work ...

That said my alder jazz is still my favourite sound but can get a bit lost in the mix compared to the other two.

I had a couple of ash Precisions, to me the top end was sharper and the lower mids were less ‘chunky’ for want of a better word. One in particular was very aggressive sounding, not the warmth expected of a Precision. I named it Ian Paisley as that was what it reminded me of. 

Hi, thanks for the cool comments regarding ash and alder basses.

Seems we all share the same experiences with the alder/ash comparison. I am looking forward to using this new bass.

I like the neck on the bass, maple with perloid inserts, but think I would have preferred the black inserts that come with the

vintage ones. But, I didn't fancy the bridge pickup being so close the the bridge. Makes it too toppy and thin and twangy in

my opinion. So if I see a nice maple sire neck with black inlays, I might change mine as the old eyes aren't as good as 

they used to be.

Also, I have seen that a few people with sire basses (mostly on Youtube) have managed to change their knobs.... Vol, tone, etc

for chrome ones. Anyone here know who might supply them?

Thanks

Ricky