Why become a member? ×

Machine head nylon washer

casapete

Am looking to replace the washers on the machine heads of my Washburn AB20 acoustic bass. Located between the top of the shaft and the tuner button.One has disintegrated and the other 3 are looking a bit tired, so looking to replace them all. Think they are a white nylon type of thing. Anyone know what size they are and where best to source replacements please? Cheers.

IMG_0539.JPG

I needed to do the same on a bass of mine - I couldn't get any washers that matched exactly, but some M4 plastic washers from ebay just about fitted on mine, with a little overhang as the washer is too wide. I've not trimmed the excess, but a pair of sharp scissors would sort that out if needs be.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Andy, they look just the job. I’ve been away so haven’t had chance to sort it yet, so much appreciated.

They’re out of stock at the moment unfortunately, but there’s no hurry. Will keep an eye on when they’re available again though. 

Cheers, Pete.

48 minutes ago, Unknown_User said:

I'm curious to know how you would replace them without knackering the machine heads.  I've no idea how you would take them apart.

I just unscrewed the screw on the top of the tuner button, and it came off revealing the washer.

• Thanks 1

I had a washer go on my old Waterstone bass; it was nightmarish trying to get a spare/replacement, you just couldn't get the odd one or two.

Ended up making a replacement myself out of an old bit of plastic...little dab of WD40, not pretty but it worked.