Why become a member? ×

When The Gas Runs Out

stewblack

4 hours ago, chris_b said:

I GAS to sound better, to do what I do better, not to own more stuff.

The world of bass has gone through a renaissance in the last 15 - 20 years. New gear is always coming on the market, new techniques and styles are being developed by some very cleaver minds. I like to keep up with this instrument.

Check everything out and occasionally you can find something that improves your sound and how you fit into a band.

Far too sensible, logical, and therefore not GAS related. 

Sorry. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, stewblack said:

Far too sensible, logical, and therefore not GAS related. 

Sorry. 

When I was in my 30s I wanted maintenance free lightweight hi-fidelity technology that I could put in my pocket Now that I’m in my mid 40s with Dickey knees I want 1960s Cold War  technology that weighs the same as a small house and needs constant replacement of parts that were made in countries that no longer exist 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Quilly said:

When I was in my 30s I wanted maintenance free lightweight hi-fidelity technology that I could put in my pocket Now that I’m in my mid 40s with Dickey knees I want 1960s Cold War  technology that weighs the same as a small house and needs constant replacement of parts that were made in countries that no longer exist 🤣🤣🤣

Yes - this is exactly it. I shifted a lot of very good heavy old gear and went Markbass and Barefaced. And somehow I find a behemoth of a Trace Elliot rig looming over two all valve heads one of which I seriously contemplated buying an engine hoist to move.

You see, this is not about the rational. Oh no.

Edited by stewblack
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Yes - this is exactly it. I shifted a lot of very good heavy old gear and went Markbass and Barefaced. And somehow I find a behemoth of a Trace Elliot rig looming over two all valve heads one of which I seriously contemplated buying an engine hoist to move.

Seller collecting a Carslbro 50 top guitar head I bought there a few months ago ‘for the craic’ as we say around here. It was a surprisingly lovely sounding amp for bass but totally impractical. It smelled very nice though 🤣. Oldie woodey burnt dust odour that you can only get with an old valve amp 🤣. And a heavy lump .

Edited by Quilly
  • Like 1

I have three basses, a practice amp, a gig rig, a multi fx and an electro acoustic guitar. I lust after: a fender jazz because I love em and I don't have a jazz at the moment, a Hofner because I'm a lefty and it's the law, a fretless probably jazz but could go ACG/ Zoot/ Shuker, there's an ibanez 5er I like but can't remember the model number, a fender Aerodyne jazz so I can give up my P but still have the best of a P and a J, 80's Aria basses, a Status headless, the Washburn status headless, a Hohner B2A with the EMG's and just try harder with the string spacing, an electric guitar, a valve head bass amp, a trace elliot rig...

I don't think I'll buy much of any of it. I can't justify most of it. Buying my last expensive bass was an eye opener. I went USA Stingray over a USA Jazz because although I really, really loved the jazz the Stingray was the better gigging bass for what and how I play. If I was recording it would be valve amps and jazz basses but for gigs it's lightweight class D and a Stingray all the way!  I'd love the time to do recording but I barely practice for my actively working band!  While I like lots of different types of gear I prefer quality over quantity so I've looked at cheap jazzes and so on and I just tell myself it won't satisfy me like one day getting that USA jazz bass I want. Effects never worked out for me so I went good quality multi fx and I'm satisfied, I was always getting signal noise and pedals reacted differently with different basses, too frustrating buying and selling all the time. I really want an electric guitar because I am writing songs in order to set up a new band next year but 99% certain I will play bass in it so I keep looking at six strings but not buying. I also don't have the space for all my gear at the moment so space saving, rationalising down the gear hoard is a big thing for me and has been for a few years as my family grows. I am having an "office" built in my garage though so... 🤐

Edited by uk_lefty

20 hours ago, Quilly said:

You need to go to another bass forum that I think is called “talk basses” or something??? . Full of angry yanks anyhow 🤣🤣

Quilly:  I don't think it's anger.  It's more like energetic defensive reactions from those who don't have Fender basses. 😉

They have not figured out yet that resistance to Fender is futile. 

On 09/08/2019 at 20:46, stewblack said:

I'm the same. Downsised to a lightweight cab but now find myself bookmarking a GK 8x10 on this very forum and planning journey times to pick it up. Oh, and I'd have to borrow a bigger car to get it and borrow both sets of neigbours to get it up the 17 steps to the front door. But I still want it! As you say, this is not about the rational. Now, back to Google maps.

Edited by essexbob
Wrong make of cab... That's old peculiar for you.
  • Haha 1

Over the years I've accumulated 11 basses and a DB. I don't need another bass.

I also have 4 amps, 4 cabs and a 100 watt combo. I don't need any more amps/cabs.

Although it's very unlikely I'll buy anything. I still stalk the Basschat marketplace like a hungry wolf.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Me too. Currently got 5 and still check the bay & the tree every day for them.

+1 Currently getting rid of pj basses to make room and raise funds for 'proper' p-basses. 

Don't have to be Fender, Squier is fine too. My favourite is my Bruce Thomas Profile. It's literally perfect. 

17 minutes ago, gjones said:

Although it's very unlikely I'll buy anything. I still stalk the Basschat marketplace like a hungry wolf.

in AA we have a saying - if you spend long enough in a library you'll end up reading a book. 

• Haha 1

Aside from pedals, I've never gone too nuts with bass gear and I've generally only had one or two basses at a time. My wife may disagree with this assessment of course. Modern PAs have largely killed my amp GAS too. I mean, I would like an old SVT obviously, but I doubt I'll go there in practice. I did go through a major HiFi phase though and do occasionally wonder how many pairs of loudspeakers a person really needs. Children killed the cash flow unfortunately. 

The other thing that killed GAS was the realities of playing in commercial practice rooms and and on split bills. I'm usually using a borrowed amp and 'that perfect sound' that I spent ages dialling in at home immediately evaporates when confronted with a Peavy TNT. I often have to prioritise making myself audible rather than obsessing about the fine detail of tone. 

Edited by radiophonic

How many of us are playing the same gear today that we were told was the best set up they ever had by the bands we played with in the past. I obviously must know better because I am the one playing the rig... yes?. or I am I just so deep into the GAS addiction I am beyond help?. I have another pursuit where I have made a conscious effort to just enjoying the time indulged within it, and trust me this could soak more money than music equipment GAS could ever do, but I have found I can ignore the GAS syndrome and enjoy this indulgence for what it is .One thing that helped me with GAS control is having gear bought me by the wife and son on special occasions with the quote "and you know you will never be able to sell,trade, this because its special now" this of course doesn't apply gifts received from other sources even though it should.I think I am now fortunately getting a grip on GAS and learning to appreciate what I have a lot more.There said it I am reformed, no more GAS I bet your all so jealous ...........but if any body has for sale.....oh crap.

• Like 1

The constant acquisition of gear has an inverse relationship with actual playing and enjoyment. By that I mean the more time I spend buying hear the less time I spend playing. Which is bloody stupid.

I’ve got the preposterous situation where I have two basses, two double basses and an EUB and three guitars. This is a drastic reduction in the amount of gear I used to have.

Crazy when you write it down.

I’m lucky enough to have a big house in a cheap area where I can store it all. And a wife who was warned that she would live in what might resemble a music shop for the rest of her life.

I think I may have the wrong personality type for the Basschat forum 😥.  I have an adequate bass and practice amp, and promised myself and the missus that I wouldn't buy anything more until I can play what I have.

However I do have a serious desire to build a  bass from scratch,  which will cost a lot in tools and a fortune in time. I've worked out a spec, designed the headstock and logo, priced the wood, and got a good idea of how I want it to play and sound. Actually- that's actually the same addiction,  just channelled differently... I'll stay 😀

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Richard R said:

I think I may have the wrong personality type for the Basschat forum 😥.  I have an adequate bass and practice amp, and promised myself and the missus that I wouldn't buy anything more until I can play what I have.

However I do have a serious desire to build a  bass from scratch,  which will cost a lot in tools and a fortune in time. I've worked out a spec, designed the headstock and logo, priced the wood, and got a good idea of how I want it to play and sound. Actually- that's actually the same addiction,  just channelled differently... I'll stay 😀

Oh you're in the right place! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 09/08/2019 at 10:13, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

That’s the problem with rules, they’re just begging to be broken once in place. I stupidly corrected my wife during a conversation she was having with her friend yesterday about houses. She referred to our house by the number of bedrooms it has which she had lessened by one. Without thinking I waded in and said what it should be. I immediately got the look along with ‘that would assume you could get a bed in there for all the basses’. I’m still kicking myself now. How did I not see that one coming? Done me up like a kipper she did. I begrudgingly admitted that she does have a point though 😬

Wouldn't be so bad if you didn't live in a 2-up 2-down...