Why become a member? ×

When The Gas Runs Out

stewblack

Come on then, be honest with yourself, what do you start looking at when the objects of your desire have become an obscene, bloated collection for which you barely have storage space never mind the time to use?

I find the insidious addictive worm in my brain tells me to look at effects. I invariably buy them, toy with them in a desultory, distracted way, use them for a couple of gigs, decide they just add more time to set up and pack down and don't improve my playing at all and into the cupboard they go.

But I have to gas for something , right?

Also caught myself contemplating a fretless. Don't need one. Used to use one before deciding it wasn't for me. But ... I don't have one. 

What about you? 

I recently had a tot up of what I’ve spent on my gear - see signature for an idea.

No doubt some BC’s have spent more, but for my ‘hobby’, the realisation of what i’ve forked out has been the most effective GAS killer yet for me!!

7 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Yep, simply accept that membership of Basschat comes with an added bonus gift of GAS for Life.

You're telling me!?!?!? I hadn't been here in a good while as I had to sell a lot after splitting with my missus. I'm back a few weeks and already there's a GMR in the back of a van on its way to me as we speak. 🤣

I'm trying to resist buying more basses as although I hanker over 1 in particular I don't really need it, especially as I can't decide which of my existing basses to offload prior to getting another.

I'm managed to downgrade from 3 amps to 2 over the past months and although I was contemplating building up a pedal board that desire was fulfilled by getting a multi-effect in PX for one of my amps.

However I find myself trawling ads for DMX lights and PA stuff, even though the band had more or less enough of that stuff.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Collect gigs, not stuff.

Amen to that. Eddie Mercyx used to say of cycling GAS: "Don't upgrade, go up grades". I suppose the same phrase could apply to bass GAS!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bassman Sam said:

I now have 5 Precisions and a NR Thunderbird. I only had one bass before I joined Basschat. I think they have hacked me like a Nigerian Prince.

"I need to leave this bass with you for a short period of time..." 😂

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, stewblack said:

Come on then, be honest with yourself, what do you start looking at when the objects of your desire have become an obscene, bloated collection for which you barely have storage space never mind the time to use?

I find the insidious addictive worm in my brain tells me to look at effects.

I thought it was just me. 

• Like 1

When I’m happy with my instruments I start looking at accessories. The perfect strap to match the bass. Gig bags. Even strap pins. I’m the same with watches - having more watch straps and pin bars, cases and pouches than I know what to do with. At least that stuff is cheap(er) but it all adds up. I’ve had to tighten my belt a fair bit recently so have been able to reduce spending quite a lot as I’m very happy with what I have. 

1 minute ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I’m also very happy with what I have. Ecstatic in fact. It’s all the other stuff that’s available to buy that’s the problem 😂

I should change our description on google to this 😂

• Haha 3