Why become a member? ×

Wedding Band Lighting Help

Just interested to hear what others are using for lighting at weddings? 

We are a 5 piece and already have a couple of floor moving lights but need something to light the stage up and possibly dance floor. Stage size is 4m wide by 3m deep 90% of the time. 

Looking for a system that is attractive that will look impressive. Not sure on budget... Perhaps £500-£700.

Thanks 

Edited by bassmansam

TBH I think you might struggle to light up both the stage and dance floor for that budget.  I would prioritise lighting up the band rather than the dance floor if you need to compromise.

If i was looking to spend that budget I would go for the LEDJ Q Colour to provide a colour wash for the stage.  One on each side of the stage, mounted on stands, would work well and provide ample coverage for a 4m x 3m (and bigger) stage.  That would leave a couple of hundred quid to provide effect lighting that could further add to the stage show and also light up the dance floor.  There are quite a few Chinese made moving head lights on eBay that offer a lot of functionality for the money.  You could probably pick up 5-6 units for the remaining money.  

I'm assuming that you are using some type of lighting controller to operate your lights via DMX but all of the above can be used with in-built programs without a controller. 

FWIW, my band uses the following setup:  LEDJ Q Colour x 2, LEDJ 7Q5 x 7, ADJ Inno Pocket Spot x 2, Equinox Slender Beam Bar Quad.  Airstream DMX controller (via iPad)

Gaz

Edited by gazhowe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gazhowe said:

TBH I think you might struggle to light up both the stage and dance floor for that budget.  I would prioritise lighting up the band rather than the dance floor if you need to compromise.

If i was looking to spend that budget I would go for the LEDJ Q Colour to provide a colour wash for the stage.  One on each side of the stage, mounted on stands, would work well and provide ample coverage for a 4m x 3m (and bigger) stage.  That would leave a couple of hundred quid to provide effect lighting that could further add to the stage show and also light up the dance floor.  There are quite a few Chinese made moving head lights on eBay that offer a lot of functionality for the money.  You could probably pick up 5-6 units for the remaining money.  

I'm assuming that you are using some type of lighting controller to operate your lights via DMX but all of the above can be used with in-built programs without a controller. 

FWIW, my band uses the following setup:  LEDJ Q Colour x 2, LEDJ 7Q5 x 7, ADJ Inno Pocket Spot x 2, Equinox Slender Beam Bar Quad.  Airstream DMX controller (via iPad)

Gaz

Thanks for the input Gaz. Been looking at these today which look pretty good. 

https://m.thomann.de/gb/stairville_led_bossfx_1_pro_bundle_comple.htm

We've got one of these https://m.thomann.de/gb/stairville_clb2.4_compact_led_par_system.htm?o=9&search=1557932453  plus some other assorted LED DMX lights.

If I was to buy now I'd probably go with something a bit more sophisticated, like these  6 in 1 LEDs https://m.thomann.de/gb/stairville_crazy_par_bundle_4_8x5w_rgbwap.htm?o=1&search=1557932453 .

The great thing about them is they're all pre-wired to the bar and just need a PA type stand to mount them.  You just need to run 1 DMX cable & 1 power cable (of course if you're daisy-chaining power/DMX it'll be 1 in and 1 out of each).  Plus it comes in a sturdy carry case, which is both handy for storing and also protects them during transit.

You can probably get something similar from www.djkit.com or other similar sites.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bassmansam said:

Thanks for the input Gaz. Been looking at these today which look pretty good. 

https://m.thomann.de/gb/stairville_led_bossfx_1_pro_bundle_comple.htm

That looks decent bang for buck. If it’s placed at the rear of the stage the band will be in silhouette so you will probably also need something to the side and/or slightly in front to illuminate you all. As @taunton-hobbit said, you need to be careful with lasers but class 3R looks like it can be used with minimal risk. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gazhowe said:

That looks decent bang for buck. If it’s placed at the rear of the stage the band will be in silhouette so you will probably also need something to the side and/or slightly in front to illuminate you all. As @taunton-hobbit said, you need to be careful with lasers but class 3R looks like it can be used with minimal risk. 

Great thanks. Maybe one of these for side stage? 

https://m.thomann.de/gb/stairville_stage_tri_led_bundle_complete.htm

In my rather dull day job I have an event company as a client. They hire lots of dance floors, stages and lighting for weddings directly to the wedding party. Is it not worth talking to the venue to see if you can offload the responsibility of the lighting - get the clients to pay for it from someone else? Or, offer lights as a seperate hire, then sub-hire them? These guys are fairly high end but just thought I'd add this to the mix.

13 hours ago, bassmansam said:

Great thanks. Maybe one of these for side stage? 

https://m.thomann.de/gb/stairville_stage_tri_led_bundle_complete.htm

They look decent. If possible, it would be good to have lights at either side of the stage to ensure good coverage. You could always get those and add a 2nd one later if necessary. 😎

• Thanks 1