Why become a member? ×

Asbury Park : Riot, Redemption Rock n Roll - New film!

casapete

I think I probably know the answer, but just wondering if anyone else is going to see this new film released here on May 22nd?

Plenty of Springsteen, Steve Van Zandt and Southside Johnny footage - looks great. One night only in cinemas all over the UK.

5 minutes ago, casapete said:

I think I probably know the answer, but just wondering if anyone else is going to see this new film released here on May 22nd?

Plenty of Springsteen, Steve Van Zandt and Southside Johnny footage - looks great. One night only in cinemas all over the UK.

I grew up 30 minutes north of Asbury Park. To be honest the whole South Jersey scene was kind of weird for next. I didn't get it 

Blue

14 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I grew up 30 minutes north of Asbury Park. To be honest the whole South Jersey scene was kind of weird for next. I didn't get it 

Blue

I'm a bit surprised about that - I thought that it was supposed to be in your blood if you came from NJ...!

6 hours ago, peteb said:

I'm a bit surprised about that - I thought that it was supposed to be in your blood if you came from NJ...!

Yeah, I understand how most would think that. However, culturally there's a huge divide between South Jersey ( the shore) and my neck of the woods. All the stuff my guys were into was happening in Manhattan. And while there was a lot happening in Manhattan nobody really emerged from Manhatten , maybe Billy Joel, Blondie, The Dolls there could be others. 

I plan on watching this documentary regardless.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

Well, just seen the movie. An excellent social history of Asbury Park and the musicians who emerged from there, with some rare clips and great interviews. We were told to wait after the showing for an extra added bonus, which turned out to be not so great footage of a concert ‘jam’ featuring Little Steve, Bruce etc and some other guys from back in the day. Rather messy versions of a few rock n roll standards which were no better than what you’d hear in a pub jam session over here TBH. Shame, as it brought the film to a rather downbeat end.

Have you seen it yet Blue? Be interested to hear your take on it.