Why become a member? ×

SOLD Cheap European 3/4 Double Bass 1987 for DIY repair
£300
Toddington UK

Here is another one from my collection. This was bought as is to sort out the few little repairs needed, then to probably pass on to a pupil to borrow or buy, but I'm running out of space, hence the clear-out.

I bought this bass from it's original owner, he bought it new in 1987, there are no makers names/labels but I would guess it's of Eastern European origin. It actually sounds really nice, although the action is very high, at the moment. 

The problems are easy to see on the photo's. The bridge has seen better days, it seems to have been on a lean to the front for ages and is now warped, also it never seems to have been fitted too well. So I'd suggest a new bridge. 

The Tailpiece seems have have suffered at some point, and is held on by the wrong wire, also the metal ring around the tail-pin has become detached, it's bodged on with wire, but obviously needs sorting.

Now I reckon a decent luthier would charge about £300 for this lot, and as a decent bass possibly worth £750 tops, but realistacally £600 (I'm no dealer, so these are guesses) but you can buy a bridge/tailpin/wire on Ebay for about £50....so if you fancy honing your double bass repair skills on a cheap project, this is the bass for you. I'm sure all of the jobs are easy for a skilled luthier, and probably a steep learning curve for any amateur.

I not taking offers on this, I'd rather get it repaired than give it away, but for sale for the price I paid for it.

Come and have a look, Jct 12 of the M1, or can deliver at cost around London, Beds/Bucks/Herts/Cambs/Oxford maybe further,  but please ask first.IMG_4900.thumb.JPG.df5b52d1eb21e6bfbb51ba5afdc1bca6.JPGIMG_4895.thumb.JPG.bf6001142d74c9bec401a1c77e7e3b41.JPGIMG_4903.thumb.JPG.cbfd744b3bd4fc18e5a3727d5fec44c5.JPGIMG_4904.thumb.JPG.9842d33fa5860783d8396963f5fb98cf.JPGIMG_4897.thumb.JPG.f3ff23e9fb791d4b2d22a701311f9676.JPGIMG_4899.thumb.JPG.5f78f34a2e8c821f3690160f0de381ee.JPGIMG_4898.thumb.JPG.7b521de40c6ab46c5e9e77e2be905918.JPGIMG_4901.thumb.JPG.7a77e97718600f5e5a8329f6c6472471.JPG

IMG_4896.JPG

IMG_4902.JPG

IMG_4905.JPG

Edited by Bassdep
SALE

Hi, I can't see any evidence of old repairs, and the neck looks to be been in there from new,  but please read the description fully, it will need some repairs to make it use- able. I don't know if it's an ebony finger board. It's fairly academic re the tailpiece as it really needs to be replaced, so it can be whatever material you like.

Edited by Bassdep
Amend text

2 hours ago, Bassdep said:

Thanks Pete, makes it even more of a bargain !....did you buy it in the UK ?

Yes, my father bought it from somewhere in southern England, in 1970. Don't think they're worth a great deal though. That tailpiece doesn't look right, it's nothing like the one on mine which I know is original. Think the fingerboard is probably ebony.

So, a couple of other apparent things with this bass.....neither of them good.

The fingerboard has become unstuck in a couple of places, and on very closer inspection, it may have had a neck repair....but if it has, looks like it was done at the factory before it was sold...I actually thought it was the grain in the wood, the varnish and finish, and repair is very good.....but come and have a look and make up your own mind.

IMG_4907.JPG

IMG_4908.JPG

IMG_4906.JPG

Edited by Bassdep
Tex edit

For the purposes of clarity, I saw the bass, which was unfortunate due to the original lack of description & had I honestly known about the added defects, would not have wasted 2 hours of my time & gas money.

There is also a non described warping around one of the F holes on the body!

A bit harsh Mark, you pointed out a couple of things I hadn't noticed, or known about, and now have suitable altered the ad.

You did a round trip of approx 40 miles ! You must have been driving slowly for it to take 2 hours,  If it upsets you that much, please forward your bank info and I'll pay you £10 for fuel !

This is a £300 bass, needing work, I think your expectations at this price level are a little high.

You to come and have a look, you did, and said  it wasn't for you....fair enough. Nothing to hide here, I don't need £300, but I'd quite like a bit of space back.

Good luck in your search.

Actually, it was 42 minutes each way with traffic plus time spent....  

I came to look on the premiss you sid: " Hi, I can't see any evidence of old repairs "

If, in all honesty you had looked more closely, you would have seen this & could have photographed it & I wouldnt have come...

My expecttions are in all honesty that people should check things out properly before they attempt to sell them.

In fact, you asked my opinion in regard to the neck, which took my time.

I have more than enough experience as a player to form a compehensive opinion.

I will not put any more of my views on line in regard to tis matter as it stands & will PM you my account number & sort code for the £10, which I will accept as a nice gesture on your part.

GLWTS

Thank you the reply, lets put a line under this, as life is surely too short......but my caveat is this;

a) I never questioned your opinion, in fact agree with it

b) Your exceptions will probably end in a lot of disappointment.

c) I've actually just sold it, to a nice chap from Birmingham who came considerably further, had a good look, offered me £250 which I've happily accepted.....so everyone is happy.

d) It would have been nicer for you to have a moan at me in person at the if you felt so aggrieved, rather than as we did spend 20 minutes pick my brain about various Luthiers etc....which I didn't mind at all BTW.

d) £10 winging it's way to you.....spend it, or save it wisely, you know have £310 to put towards a new bass.

• Like 1

• Rich locked this topic