Why become a member? ×

NBD Custom Overwater P5

Phill

After about a year of the first inception its finally here! I'm so happy with the bass and would like to thank the Overwater team for the great service, workmanship & help.

Some specs for you all - 

A standard Overwater 5 string P body & 35" scale length. I initially wanted a 36" but soon realised that 35" scale length is ample for a tight low B. Of course the P style body is classic & I love a classic (I wanted a P bass anyway) 

5 strings because of necessity as a player & loving a low Eb for some Stevie Wonder grooves!

Surf Green colour & the matching headstock. A classic look & some cool retro vibes. It was either going to be green or Daphne Blue, but I'm so happy with the colour and the brightness of the bass and the lovely gloss finish which is off-set with a classic off white scratch plate.

Also they kindly added a lovely PC Custom signature to the back of the headstock.

We've got a swamp ash body & one piece maple neck. This just stems from the similarity to my Am Deluxe Jazz & have always liked the response from that combination. Its hefty but not overly so.

Indian rosewood fretboard. I haven't played a rosewood in ages but wanted that old school look & feel. This is where the no front markers came from. I wanted a clean crisp look similar to some other basses I've lusted over. It takes some getting used to (I didn't realise how often I looked at the actual fingerboard!) I have 2mm mother of pearl dots on the side though Thank goodness!

We've got a reverse P & a MM style. The chunkiness of the P in passive is pure old school and filthy. Then we have the phattness off the MM style in the bridge. Another thing to add is the Neutrix locking jack socket which gives me great piece of mind. 

While experimenting with the John East/Overwater 3 band boost & cut EQ with mid range sweep, passive tone & pickup blend I fell in love. I can solo the MM, boost the bass & treble a little bit & Bam! it sounds exactly like a MM bass. pan all the way to the reverse P and we have that funky chunky stank face inducing thick loavable tone. 

Hardware wise we have a huge chunky Overwater bridge with 18mm string spacing. Which gives me plenty of room between each string for the old slap pop and its solid, designed so well especially for set ups and string changes. Next we have the classic Hipshot Ultralite 1/2 post tuners which weigh nothing and move very smoothly.  

Or pick both in active and have a warm crisp defined tone perfect for more modern grooves & soaring crisp top end (EQ is flat at this point) Comprehensive isn't the word for this circuit & pickup combo, it doesn't do it justice.

I took it for a spin at a recent The Special Brew rehearsal and was met with compliments on looks, tone, & general grooviness (sadly not personally!) It cut through when needed for my solos & provided some great round bottom too. 

Following this I've also had my first show with it too! A depends gig with Ska Band The Navarones. I kept in passive with the tone rolled off a little for 80% off the show then bumped it into active with a slight bass boost for more "Dubby" styled songs.

The bass is very comfortable, although it is a little heavy! and easy to play. Its very even between pickups & over all the strings too which makes life easier simply. 

It balances well and although the neck is wide it fits my hand perfectly with a lovely rounded edge to the fingerboard which screams quality. 

Iv'e also added a few videos using different tone/pickup combos here https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLa9pBo2qQ_6843_HoIfhT5B1MQ-S_Llfi

DSCF6091.jpg

DSCF6112.jpg

DSCF6102.jpg

DSCF6083.jpg

DSCF6074.jpg

DSCF6049.jpg

DSCF6051.jpg

DSCF6046.jpg

DSCF5969.jpg

DSCF6059.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

They've put the P pickup in the wrong way!

Send it back! ;) 

Honestly I didn't want the reverse P to start off with but it just seems to tighten everything up a little bit 😊

25 minutes ago, Phill said:

Honestly I didn't want the reverse P to start off with but it just seems to tighten everything up a little bit 😊

Exactly! Add in 35" scale, a John East 3 band preamp and it seems to me you're on the road to tight low end heaven 😁

• Like 1