Why become a member? ×

Shakespeare's Sister on Graham Norton?

At the risk of offending very few people, oh dear...

Even my wife, whom I love dearly, but isn't the most musical person in the world, looked up from her laptop and said "Blimey, that was awful - and you can tell they really hate each other".

I'm sure a tour with a nice fat cheque at the end of it has helped them get over their musical differences.

• Like 1

We all know that ex-Bananarama-ista Siobhan Fahey was half of Shakespeare's sister.

But who knew that 'the other one', Miss Marcella Detroit, co-wrote Lay Down Sally when she was a backing singer for Eric Clapton and performing under the name Marcy Yaxley-Lennon?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

We all know that ex-Bananarama-ista Siobhan Fahey was half of Shakespeare's sister.

But who knew that 'the other one', Miss Marcella Detroit, co-wrote Lay Down Sally when she was a backing singer for Eric Clapton and performing under the name Marcy Yaxley-Lennon?

That was about the one thing I did know about Shakespeare’s Sister. 

Never liked the band back in the day but I used to really fancy their bass player, Claire Kenny! Good bass player too. Played for quite a few pop acts back in the 80s and played a lovely Aria SB just like mine. Wonder if she’s still playing?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

aka Marcie Levy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TrevorR said:

Never liked the band back in the day but I used to really fancy their bass player, Claire Kenny! Good bass player too. Played for quite a few pop acts back in the 80s and played a lovely Aria SB just like mine. Wonder if she’s still playing?

Oooh yes, I forgot about her. I remember Clare playing a Bass Collection.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, lowregisterhead said:

"Blimey, that was awful - and you can tell they really hate each other".

Not elped by Siobhan's insistence that it turns out they realy do like each other after all this time.

The version they performed was pretty poor.

From Wiki - may explain?

During this period however, tensions began to arise between the two. A concert at The Royal Albert Hall was cancelled due to Fahey's own personal issues at the time, and the two decided to put Shakespears Sister on hiatus for Detroit to release her new solo album, which she had been working on at the time, and also for Fahey to "take that time off to be with her family." During this period, the fifth and final single from Hormonally Yours was released; "My 16th Apology", and due to both members being unable to promote it, it was a commercial failure, reaching number 63 on the UK charts. Detroit found out that Fahey had ended her partnership with her at the 1993 Ivor Novello Awards ceremony through Fahey's publisher when Hormonally Yours won "Best Contemporary Collection of Songs". Detroit and Fahey had not spoken to or seen each other for 25 years,[10] before eventually meeting and talking again in 2018.[13]

I saw Marcy Levy in the mid 70's when she was in Eric Clapton's band singing back up vocals alongside the fantastic Yvonne Elliman. Great singer with an amazing range. She was also on 'Wonderful Tonight' amongst others with EC, and guested with his band last year at London's Hyde Park gig in July.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

Is Marcy Yaxley Lennon somehow related to odious, racist, fascist thug 'Tommy Robinson, aka Stephen Yaxley Lennon?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Is Marcy Yaxley Lennon somehow related to odious, racist, fascist thug 'Tommy Robinson, aka Stephen Yaxley Lennon?

I think Skank may have been being a bit naughty with that... :D

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Me neither 😕 Dunno owt about Shakespeare's Sister other than that the name vaguely rings a bell

Stay, was an absolutely epic song. Other than that I couldn't name a single track. I actually thought that they were just a one off collaboration for that song. I didn't even know they'd done others. 

The original song was reasonably splendid, being a good - if slightly hammy - study in light and shade.

The lassie on the left on the GN Show did a fair job of murdering it, though, with a series of uninvited yelps and howls.

In the roughly-contemporaneous words of Vic'n'Bob ... they wouldn't let it lie.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TrevorR said:

I’ll second that. A redhead, a bass player and she likes tort and 3tsb. That’s hit right out of the park 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Didn’t they only have one song?

1 hour ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Stay, was an absolutely epic song. Other than that I couldn't name a single track. I actually thought that they were just a one off collaboration for that song. I didn't even know they'd done others. 

Their second single "You're History", was a top ten hit in 1989 - 3 years before "Stay".

• Like 1