Why become a member? ×

New bass guitar show 2020 (and 2022)

EBS_freak

30 minutes ago, Machines said:

..... the Dingwall in this photo is no longer available 

277557507_10160115551399289_1747795700093338756_n.thumb.jpg.bbec68760e34934fd4b3c11e00feca6f.jpg

Ah, so it was you we were chatting to this afternoon. 🤣

That was an amazing bass, great choice. If I wasn't playing mostly upright at the moment, I'd have been sorely tempted 

We were there for the drum show, which was fairly busy, fairly well laid out, and pretty inspiring, from the point of view of the shows and masterclasses. The BD stand seemed to be the saving grace of the bass bit. Man, Mr Dingwall just makes you want his basses without even trying. I was a bit shocked at how sparse the whole thing was, and how many stands had just packed up and gone by early Sunday afternoon. I guess it's going to take a while for things to get back on track in the 'living with covid' world.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, NickD said:

Ah, so it was you we were chatting to this afternoon. 🤣

That was an amazing bass, great choice. If I wasn't playing mostly upright at the moment, I'd have been sorely tempted 

We were there for the drum show, which was fairly busy, fairly well laid out, and pretty inspiring, from the point of view of the shows and masterclasses. The BD stand seemed to be the saving grace of the bass bit. Man, Mr Dingwall just makes you want his basses without even trying. I was a bit shocked at how sparse the whole thing was, and how many stands had just packed up and gone by early Sunday afternoon. I guess it's going to take a while for things to get back on track in the 'living with covid' world.

You’re not doing a lot to help my Dingwall GAS 😁.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ambient said:

You’re not doing a lot to help my Dingwall GAS 😁.

It was my first experience of fan frets, and it was much less of a difference than it imagined. Upper register chords would take some work though, I was in knots up there.

Amazingly flexible in terms of sound though.

• Like 1

I don't think I can add much to what has already been said, I had a weekend ticket but had done the bass and guitar bit in a very short time, I got a chance to speak to Sheldon Dingwall which was great and as people have mentioned Bass direct had a well laid out stand but my heart went out to them and the other exhibitors, I did pop back in on the Sunday morning but it was almost depressing the lack of people and the room was unwelcoming. The drum show however was vibrant and had an energy about it that really was an amplifier to the differences. I would not blame any of the exhibitors not going to another one. I also had tickets for Leyland Sklar, he was the reason that tipped me over to go to the show in the first place, it was only nearer the date that I learned he wasn't going to be there and not from the people I brought the tickets from, glad I got to see Liverpool but I would not rush back to this show in a hurry.

• Like 4

I went on Saturday with a guitar-playing friend.  We did the hall in about 30 minutes.  Hugely underwhelming.  I did try one of the new British-built SW Deluxe Chowny basses (nice, but a long way short of competitively priced).  We found a bar nearby, had a couple of pints and went back after lunch and - surprise, surprise - I found myself taking an over-priced set of Rotosound string and (more unexpectedly) a PRS parlour-sized, electro-acoustic g****r home!  I don't know if that says more about me or the show...Still, it was only a short train journey from Chester and there's worse places than Liverpool to spend a few hours with a mate, I guess.

Hello all ACC attendees over the weekend! I was there too. I'll stick something up on Sm later, but to be honest I didn't take too many pictures. It was however brilliant to see some familiar and friendly faces there, even if the attendance at the G&B show was rather low. It was more of a social for me versus goin to try basses out, but I did talk to brands about arranging video reviews.

We popped in to the drum show yesterday and it was a huge difference. Lively, lots of noise and bustle. I enjoyed the performances in the hall and that so many brands were attending. It's a shame the G&B side of things didn't turn out as well. PRS left on Saturday afternoon I understand?

If you were there and I didn't say hi / didn't recognise you / we've not met in person before outside of BC, then it's a shame as it would have been a cool opportunity to make acquaintances given that it was actually hard to fill the whole day with just bass gear! 

• Like 2

Just now, Dood said:

Hello all ACC attendees over the weekend! I was there too. I'll stick something up on Sm later, but to be honest I didn't take too many pictures. It was however brilliant to see some familiar and friendly faces there, even if the attendance at the G&B show was rather low. It was more of a social for me versus goin to try basses out, but I did talk to brands about arranging video reviews.

We popped in to the drum show yesterday and it was a huge difference. Lively, lots of noise and bustle. I enjoyed the performances in the hall and that so many brands were attending. It's a shame the G&B side of things didn't turn out as well. PRS left on Saturday afternoon I understand?

If you were there and I didn't say hi / didn't recognise you / we've not met in person before outside of BC, then it's a shame as it would have been a cool opportunity to make acquaintances given that it was actually hard to fill the whole day with just bass gear! 

Those brands who did attend and stick it out deserve a huge pat on the back and thanks for all the effort they've put in as I know those pitches were not cheap! So, from me, it's a huge thank you! 

• Like 8

From an exhibitor perspective we are obviously not thrilled. I spent the money and booked this show in 2020. So I don't resent the spend - it's long gone. 

The organisers have taken on board feedback and I've been passing on the feedback from here to them as well. They've committed to making the show a success and made me an offer I can't really argue with for exhibiting again next year. 

I think they will have to work extra hard to win people back round. But I don't think it's impossible.

For those that came to see us and have a play on our basses - Thank you! It was good to see you. Feedback was overwhelmingly positive about the new stuff. If you played one - spread the good word. 

• Like 10

6 hours ago, prowla said:

For me, I was never going to make a 4-hour trip each way.

Likewise. For me it was time/distance/£££ that kept me away rather than covid concerns. If it had been the Midlands, I'd have probably gone along. Although judging by reports and pics, I'd have been very disappointed. Looks like a bit of a shambles.

1 hour ago, Chownybass said:

From an exhibitor perspective we are obviously not thrilled. I spent the money and booked this show in 2020. So I don't resent the spend - it's long gone. 

The organisers have taken on board feedback and I've been passing on the feedback from here to them as well. They've committed to making the show a success and made me an offer I can't really argue with for exhibiting again next year. 

I think they will have to work extra hard to win people back round. But I don't think it's impossible.

For those that came to see us and have a play on our basses - Thank you! It was good to see you. Feedback was overwhelmingly positive about the new stuff. If you played one - spread the good word. 

I don't suppose they gave any indication at all as to whether or not it was going to return as a dedicated bass show?

4 minutes ago, Kev said:

I don't suppose they gave any indication at all as to whether or not it was going to return as a dedicated bass show?

I think the idea is for it to be a mixed show - but with each having it's own dedicated area.

Bass Area / Guitar Area / Acoustic Area. I guess a LOT of people dropped out of the show over the course of the 2 years since it was supposed to be on. So they had to roll it all into one. Pure speculation here though. 

The dedicated bass show aspect is the key, it's the reason this show came into existence.  

Does the London Bass and Guitar show still exist? If it does, then this one just seems to be another local guitar show, which isn't filling a niche left behind.

• Like 1

When I arrived on Saturday (not a short trip from Oxford but at least there wasn't any bad traffic!) I have to admit to being totally underwhelmed and disheartened when I entered the show. It almost felt like a joke, with maybe 15 stands in total. But then I got to talk to Sheldon Dingwall (I have three Dingwall Basses, NG3-5, DROC 4 and a Super PJ) and he spent 30mins talking to me and was just a generally awesome chap to talk too. At a busy show I doubt i'd have to 2 mins talk time with the legend. I then watched the absolutely amazing Dr Funk and got to hang out with him afterwards. So from what felt like a total joke, turned into a really special afternoon for me. I took a couple of videos of Dr Funk too, which you can find at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yvkq7YjsImA and https://youtu.be/oUJ__HG6O0o.

• Like 5

Sheldon is an absolute legend. If he humanly could, he would spend 30 minutes talking to each and every visitor to his stand (or BD's stand in this case), and that would include when he exhibits at NAMM and when he was with BD at the LBGS, both very busy events. At one of the past LBGSs he also gave an excellent luthiery masterclass on (tone)wood and the physics of making a bass, and spent time to continue talking to us after he had officially finished. I have the impression that he genuinely enjoys being with fellow low-enders. :)

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Sheldon is an absolute legend. If he humanly could, he would spend 30 minutes talking to each and every visitor to his stand (or BD's stand in this case), and that would include when he exhibits at NAMM and when he was with BD at the LBGS, both very busy events. At one of the past LBGSs he also gave an excellent luthiery masterclass on (tone)wood and the physics of making a bass, and spent time to continue talking to us after he had officially finished. I have the impression that he genuinely enjoys being with fellow low-enders. :)

That was definitely my impression of him :) although I wasn't buying he was keen to know what I liked and didn't about his basses and he gave the impression that he's passionate about all the low end, not just his specific thing. Chatting with him was definitely one of the highlights of an otherwise disappointing show.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, funkypenguin said:

That was definitely my impression of him :) although I wasn't buying he was keen to know what I liked and didn't about his basses and he gave the impression that he's passionate about all the low end, not just his specific thing. Chatting with him was definitely one of the highlights of an otherwise disappointing show.

Imagine spending 2 hours sat next to him discussing life philosophy over a curry. Yeah that happened to me 😀.

• Like 7

He's doing a clinic at Guitar Guitar in Epsom Tomorrow (7th) at 7pm, and apparently they're livestreaming it on their Facebook page. Should be worth a watch, he's got some great insights to share.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Machines said:

Imagine spending 2 hours sat next to him discussing life philosophy over a curry. Yeah that happened to me 😀.

Jeez, as if the show and your weekend couldn't get any worse. (:P)

• Haha 4