Why become a member? ×

New bass guitar show 2020 (and 2022)

EBS_freak

7 minutes ago, Kev said:

That's mostly because it seemed to have all been booked in before they changed their minds.

I booked back in the early bird days for a session fronted by Jerry Barnes from Chic - not happening now, so I hope I can use my ticket to get into one of the other sessions.

I booked it about 6 months ago and although it's not a big drive for me, an overnight stop would give me a rare chance for a night out and be able to have a drink. Unfortunately, hotel prices for the weekend are quite high (possibly due to an LFC home game meaning a lot of Irish supporters about). 

42 minutes ago, Machines said:

The live stage very much looks bass focussed though.

Even so, I've still had to request refunds for the Jeff Berlin and Leland Sklar clinics that no longer appear to be happening that I'd booked for.  Mind you, I'm now going with a guitar-playing friend, rather than my one, now Covid positive, bass 'pupil'...

I booked the Drum Show for the Mrs back in early 2020, so that's what we're there for mostly. Worth bearing in mind that they've said that wristbands for either will be accepted in both, so if it's all a nightmare shredfest, you can always pop next door... I know which I'd prefer out of the two. Some of the drum masterclasses are well worth the time as a bass player.

• Like 1

On 31/03/2022 at 15:31, petecarlton said:

I booked back in the early bird days for a session fronted by Jerry Barnes from Chic - not happening now, so I hope I can use my ticket to get into one of the other sessions.

Snap, it was a Ralph Rolle and Jerry Barnes masterclass which would have been awesome. I’m still undecided about going on Sunday, was supposed to be going with my 11 year old son who plays drums but it’s a long journey from Cheltenham and I’m not convinced from the bass side that it’s worth it. Luckily for me Bass Direct is only an hour from home so never an issue if I do have GAS!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, petecarlton said:

Well, I made it. Disappointingly small, when I think I booked for this two and a half years ago. I'll put a few pix up shortly, then you can decide about tomorrow! 

Bass to guitar ratio??

7 minutes ago, petecarlton said:

Just looked at the Drum Show, full range of exhibitors, absolutely packed with visitors. Strange contrast! 

The Drum Show is well established. They have been running it for a few years in Manchester, pre Covid. 

The Bass Guitar Show was a new venture.

It may have been better supported if it could have been kept in Manchester as the UK Bass Show, organised by Stevie Williams, was a huge success until he dropped it to concentrate on recording with his new band.

• Like 1

OK got home about an hour ago. Nice view out of the windows in the Arena... Just not a lot going on from a bass perspective. I don't have a previous show to compare it to, but exhibitors indicated it was much smaller than usual. 

7EAF7D48-3876-452E-B21C-6842F84BCDF3_1_102_o.thumb.jpeg.bec49b7e46395fcbb4acf01d8114d2e3.jpeg

• Like 1

Evening all, spent the day at the UK Bass & Guitar show today, anyone else there? I thought Steve Lawson was very entertaining and a nice bloke and Marco Mendoza was brilliant but I wasn't overawed by the stands tbh, although Bass Direct did a sterling job. Booked tickets last year and paid extra for the Leland Sklar and Jeff Berlin sets to be told on arrival that they wouldn't be there and we were given 2 "free" T shirts instead that turned out to be Drum Show shirts!! Funny how the programme had no mention of the shows in them either. 🧐 Mediocre turnout too. Any thoughts?

Edited by Lord Percy

I’d like to have gone, I couldn’t make it though.

Steve is always good to see.

I read a while ago that it was going to be headphone only there, to keep the noise levels down. I don't know how that worked out.

Maybe the turnout was due to Covid? That’s one of the reasons I didn’t go.