Why become a member? ×

orange terror bass combo

jay bass

Hi looking to down size from ampeg 4x10

anyone tried the orange 500watt terror combo with 2 x12 spekers in isobaric formation

looking to use for old style 50's 60's covers so need a reasonable   clean bottom end  sound

any reviews / comments appreciated

thanks jay

Not used the combo but my terror 1000w head isn’t great at doing clean. I swapped out the valves to get a bit more clean head room which gives a bit more flexibility but I wouldn’t be looking at one if a clean sound was the main buying criteria. I love the sound personally and it works for my band but it’s not the most adjustable sound wise.

I have the new version of the Terror bass head and it has much more clean tone now. The old one could be tamed with different valves, which is what I did when I owned that. Don't know what they use in the combo but presumably if it's the new version it will sound as good as my head and if it is the old version, there is nothing that can't be tamed with different valves. 

9 hours ago, T-Bay said:

Not used the combo but my terror 1000w head isn’t great at doing clean. I swapped out the valves to get a bit more clean head room which gives a bit more flexibility but I wouldn’t be looking at one if a clean sound was the main buying criteria. I love the sound personally and it works for my band but it’s not the most adjustable sound wise.

Hi Thanks to everyone for all the help

what and how many vaives does it have ?

is it just 2 pre amp valves?

What sort of cost is it to change them

8 minutes ago, jay bass said:

Hi Thanks to everyone for all the help

what and how many vaives does it have ?

is it just 2 pre amp valves?

What sort of cost is it to change them

Yes, just preamp valves. It had a pair of AX7s, I replaced them with ECC81s which helped a lot. Cost was about £30 iirc for decent quality valves, cheap ones could be had for about a fiver each but I didn’t want to do that. The valves do affect output though, not an issue with a 1000w amp, but could be with a 500w depending what you need it for and what valve swap you do.

Ive had both the TB 500 and the SP212. Here are my thoughts. As per Cat Burros message, you can simply replace the 12AX7 with 12AT7 tubes with no modifications. this reduces the gain stage by about 40% giving a much cleaner tone. The SP212 cab I didnt like at all, found it to be very muddy (and heavy). I regret selling the TB-500 and would get one again in a heart beat. My advice would be to get the TB-500 and a decent 2x10...if you can afford it a Barefaced two10.