Why become a member? ×

Preamp Update... Possibly.

Frank Blank

I am considering replacing my Fishman Platinum Pro preamp with the Grace Designs Alix. Now my usual MO is to just buy the thing I want without doing any comparison but not this time, well, not if at all possible that is. So, does anyone out there own a Grace Designs Alix, Felix or Bix that I can try or does anyone have experience of the Grace Designs preamps in comparison with the Fishman? Also, if I do go for the Alix, this will mean getting a separate compressor as the Fishman has one built in (already talking myself out of the Alix). I have no complaints about the Fishman, I’m just wondering if the Alix is really going to be noticeably superior?

Any thoughts or opinions welcome.

The Felix is lusher - as it blinkin well should be at 6 x the price. Is it 6 x times better? Not really. The law of diminishing returns kicks in - as you would expect. The Felix is the best buffer for my Fishman Full Circle I have found. Perhaps 20% better than a Fdeck HPF pre. Which is also SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper. Do I regret owning it? Nope. Do I think it is money well spent? I dunno.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, owen said:

I have a Felix. I had it at the Bass Bash.

Sorry, you did not want to hear that.

I saw the Felix but that has a channel for pugging the instrument into and one for a mic from the instrument in order to blend signals, I think? I don’t need the mic so I assumed the Alize would be the way to go?

I got the impression that the Alix is a single channel version of the Felix (sorry if I am starting internet folklore here). In which case it is a lovely preamp. The Felix would have shown you what the Alix would do. In this kind of situation I would be all "distance selling" buy it to try it and then send it back for a full refund if it is not for me.

3 hours ago, owen said:

I got the impression that the Alix is a single channel version of the Felix (sorry if I am starting internet folklore here). In which case it is a lovely preamp. The Felix would have shown you what the Alix would do. In this kind of situation I would be all "distance selling" buy it to try it and then send it back for a full refund if it is not for me.

I’m an idiot not to have tried the Felix out...